TerraEarth Forums

Video Game Controversy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 pm   Post subject: Video Game Controversy Reply with quote

I'm of two minds when it comes to censoring the arts (and yes I do consider video games art).

On the one hand, if we draw a line between what is acceptable and what isn't that line can be moved or altered at any point. One of the things that made this country great was that it is one of the few countries in the world where you can truly speak what is on your mind without fear of legal backlash (IRONY ANYBODY Very Happy )

On the other hand I do think there are some things that cross the line and that we shouldn't say "everything is A-okay" without some manner of deterrent.

I for one think the Ratings system is a perfectly reasonable compromise and I think the main reason people complain about controversial things appearing on TV and in video games is because they are unwilling or unable to use their parental power and discernment.

We have a game. It's rated "M". That means you don't buy this game for your kid.

For instance, mommy's and daddy's everywhere: when a game features a mission that let's you do this it's probably not something you want your 7 year old playing. Hell it's probably something you don't want your 17 year old playing, especially if he listens to The Cure while cutting himself and writing dark poetry (SATTIRE).

And scenes like that one are why I am in two minds, quite literally. The empathetic human being says "wow, that's really messed up. I can't believe somebody could put that in a video game..."

But the bone-chewing tit-slapping primate in me says "Hell yeah, gun those bastards down! I can't wait to do that!"

One might argue that it's no worse than some of the stuff you can do in Grand Theft Auto, but here's the thing. I've played many Grand Theft Autos and I don't think I've ever seen a mission [as in you are REQUIRED to do this] where your objective is to gun down hundreds of civilians as they scream and plead for mercy while dragging their useless limbs behind them. You'll note that in that scene none of the civilians are children because that would be the true game-breaker.

I don't know about you but while I can lose myself in some merry slaughtering now and then, but I don't think I could shoot a virtual child in the head while he cries over the body of his dead mother. (Though I kinda wanted to do that in Fable II now that I think about it so maybe I'm wrong).

Anyways I guess the point I'm trying laboriously to get to is that censorship isn't a bad idea, but let's leave it with the Ratings system, because everybody has sick desires now and then and the key is to not forget that these virtual bits of data aren't human.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The ratings system was created for a reason. It was intended to help people (and parents) get a better idea of what goes on in the game. But the parent needs to do their part too. If their kids are in to games, the parents need to educate themselves about what's involved.

Video games are not babysitters. You can't toss one to your kid to keep them out of your hair for a few hours, then complain when you notice something you don't like.

The fact that so many parents aren't educated about modern games makes it much easier to pass the buck. Politicians can claim that these games are corrupting kids, and the parents will all too readily believe it. Why take the blame for something when you can pass it on to something you have nothing to do with?

But personal responsibility is the biggest factor in those cases. Just like you can't expect games to raise your kids, you can't expect them to take the blame for all of your kids' problems.

I don't like censoring, be it in games or anything else. I don't appreciate someone who doesn't really understand a certain medium trying to tell people who do what's appropriate for them. If I have kids, it will be my responsibility to teach them what is and isn't appropriate, and explain why. And I'll make damn sure they're capable of understanding the difference between fantasy and reality before they even touch something so gory.

Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to get all crazy ideas when i was about 16-17 of goin on night adventures causing trouble, n those were from a fantasy book. Night runner series - Luck in the shadows by lynn flewelling. so take that black labelers of video games
arkisdabomb
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Games are just the most recent in a long line of scapegoats for why our youth are messed up. Music, Television, Literature, they have all been targeted before. This isn't the first time that people have tried to pass the buck. It's in human nature to not take responsibilities. This is why scapegoats exist. Over time some new innovation in media will come around and everyone will start scapegoating them. It's just currently Video Games' time in the limelight (so to speak)
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the ratings is a good enough system. dont censor games just because they might be too graphic, or contain some themes.

games are games - just because someone plays violent games doesnt mean they are a violent person.

on a similar note, the original pokemon games had hardcore gambling references - play pokies/slots for ages and get your hands on a DELIGHTFULLY RARE POKEMON NOT OBTAINABLE ANYWHERE ELSE!
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeaaaah, most people still go "yeah whatever" when people at GameStop, WalMart, or any retailer that carries video games give them the required "This game is rated M for mature because it has these bad themes that may not be appropriate for little Jimmy there who looks like he's 8 to be playing" and parents still go "Yeah whatever, I'm still gonna buy it." and then take it back a few hours later screaming that HOW DARE YOU TRY TO CORRUPT LITTLE JIMMY WITH THIS GAME THAT INVOLVES HAVING SEX WITH PROSTITUTES AND THEN BEATING THEM UP FOR MONEY!!!!!

The rating system is there, but hell if anyone but actual good parents (what the 20% of them all) actually listen to them. I mean, hell, I got carded when I was 20-ish for an M rated game to make sure I was above the age of 17. :/ Of course, if you do that it's a huge OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE TAKING AWAY MY RIIIIIGHTS and yeah.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The ammount of uneducated parents I have sold GTA to is staggering. Conversation usually goes like this...

*8 year old kid*
"I want this"
"Sorry mate; You need to be 15 to buy this one"
*5minutes later*
"Why didnt you let my son buy this game?? He dragged me all the way from (insert shop)"
"They game is MA15+, Im legally not allowed to sell it to a minor, nor is it approriate for one"
"My Son is mature Im sur he'll me fine"
*Buys game, leaves*
*Next day - Some rant about how deciving I was by forcing her to buy it*

Its even worse when a kid gets some random Adult to buy the game for them. Few weeks ago some kid payed a stranger to buy one of our swords (we sell anime/game swords at work Very Happy ) for him. The next day we had one angry parent swingging a master sword around the front counter...

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

you just cant win against stupid people. or,. you can, but they just cant see it.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck rating systems! 100% of the responsibility to educate their children reasonable is with the parents. NO excuse to that.

video games should be as brutal and realistic as they want, and if they're really awesome I want to play them.
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
The ammount of uneducated parents I have sold GTA to is staggering. Conversation usually goes like this...

*8 year old kid*
"I want this"
"Sorry mate; You need to be 15 to buy this one"
*5minutes later*
"Why didnt you let my son buy this game?? He dragged me all the way from (insert shop)"
"They game is MA15+, Im legally not allowed to sell it to a minor, nor is it approriate for one"
"My Son is mature Im sur he'll me fine"
*Buys game, leaves*
*Next day - Some rant about how deciving I was by forcing her to buy it*

Its even worse when a kid gets some random Adult to buy the game for them. Few weeks ago some kid payed a stranger to buy one of our swords (we sell anime/game swords at work Very Happy ) for him. The next day we had one angry parent swingging a master sword around the front counter...

What we like to do here when a kid brings GTA to the counter is to inform the parent of only the WORST content in the game. Seeing their look of shock and the child's imminent disappointment is always worth it. Evil or Very Mad

And as for appropriate content in video games, as long as its rated, it doesn't matter. If a game is deemed to inappropriate for retail, that's one thing, but it shouldn't be denied the chance to exist, you know?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for getting KILLER INSTINCT on SNES with the age of 6 from my uncle Very Happy he was like "oh that cover looked like a decent game" and was making quite a face after seeing me beating the shit out of a bleeding polygon Laughing

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken wrote:
+1 for getting KILLER INSTINCT on SNES with the age of 6 from my uncle Very Happy he was like "oh that cover looked like a decent game" and was making quite a face after seeing me beating the shit out of a bleeding polygon Laughing

My dad wouldn't let me play Mortal Kombat back when they were popular (age between 6-9) so I just went to my mom and asked her. She said, "Well, its about martial arts, which promote self-defense and discipline, so its okay I guess." I think she just liked watching me tear people in half. This was further evidenced a decade later when I bought GTA without my dad's knowledge and she would pour a glass of wine and laugh hysterically while watching me play it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@tay / Flamez: You should start having parents sign waivers admitted that they've been informed of the content of the game and that they take full responsibility.

It'll never take, of course, but wouldn't that be sweet.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of censoring the games, parents need to learn personal responsibility and stop chiding their responsibilities to someone else.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents never denied allowing me to play any videos games that I wanted to. Then again, my parents were also extremely young when they had me (You do the math; my parents are 42 and 41 respectively; I'm 23) so they were closer to my generation. They were also horror movie fans as teens, they grew up in the age of Texas Chainsaw, Freddy and Jason. They allowed me to watch those movies on TV at the early age of 3ish.

I think it is the parents responsibility to make sure their children watch appropriate films/play age appropriate games. I also believe that it's the parents responsibility that, if they are letting their children play these games or watch these movies, to inform them that it is make believe.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: