TerraEarth Forums

PETA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:54 pm   Post subject: PETA Reply with quote

I'd like to open the debate regarding PETA with a quote:

"That's okay. PETA doesn't give a crap about people."
-Mr. Garrison, South Park.

Now in all seriousness I think ethical treatment of animals is a good idea. But the definition of ethical is a little skewed by them.

Using animals for labor, so long as they aren't worked to the point of exhaustion or illness, okay!

Using animals as a source of food, very okay!

Killing animals for sport, that's a grey area with me. I don't really like it, but at the same time if the hunter uses the meat, it's okay.

Killing animals for their fur, again, it's a grey area with me.

Some PETA endeavors I support. A lot of them, I question the efficacy of. I can't question their heart, but at the same time I'm not sure.

I think the organization has gone off the fringe and they need to re-evaluate their image and aims. Especially the extremists who go around throwing blood on people and worse.

It's a simple fact: Humans are more important than animals.

Again, not that I think we should be openly cruel to animals, but killing a human to save a dog is idiotic (cats are okay).

Sorry, but they're constantly at the butt of jokes... like my personal favorite:

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

PETA is a textbook example of a noble cause ruined by God-awful methods.

"Don't be cruel to animals". Fine, I can agree with that. I've had pets all my life, and we've always provided a very good home for them. When I read some news story about some asshole leaving their pets in horrible conditions, or intentionally mistreating them (there was a story around here about some teens that killed a swan for no good reason), it makes me want to punch their lights out.

But the way they go about spreading that message is all wrong. They shriek and scream, and stage ridiculous protests using methods so far out there, people are too busy either laughing or rolling their eyes to notice their message. Last Thanksgiving, PETA released its own version of Cooking Mama (just a browser game), where a nasty looking Mama goes through the steps of killing, plucking and stuffing a turkey (exaggerating every step of the way, of course). They finish by showing a video of cruelty to turkeys, or something.

The problem is that they didn't just say "here's what's wrong". They went so far over the top, and the message was somewhat lost when people enjoyed the game.

They go so far to convince everyone that animals are equal to humans; I'm sure we remember when they sent Obama a flytrap after he swatted a fly, so he can catch and release them instead. Or when they wanted to rename fish to 'sea kittens' (because "no one wants to hurt kittens"). They practically parody themselves. How is anyone supposed to take them seriously?

And then there's the more unpleasant side. There are reports that a very large number (like, unacceptably large) of animals die under their care. The bodies are then usually just tossed away. But they have the audacity to point the finger at someone else for having a burger?

And finally, there's the fact that I just disagree with one of their points; animals are not equal to humans. We've domesticated animals over thousands of years for various purposes. One of those purposes is food. And if I'm forced to choose between saving a human life and saving an animal (even an intelligent one, like a chimp).... I'm sorry, but that animal's not going to make it.

I'll wholeheartedly agree that if animals are being killed for food, do it humanely. There's no reason for needless cruelty. But as long as they go about preaching their messages the way they do, they'll always be seen as a bunch of crazies.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

PETA: People for Eating Tasty Animals.

That said, the PETA assholes are just that: assholes. Stuff like this (also seen here and here to back me up) screams that.

You know, if you want someone to join your cause, you don't do it this way.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you see as much as that bugs the crap out of me on one side, most of me finds that billboard hilarious.

Something that should be publicly displayed and used as the promoter of a group? Hell no. Something that would be awesome on 4chan. Hell yes.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
PETA: People for Eating Tasty Animals.

you beat me to it.

but yeah, i havent heard anything particularly good about these guys. their ideals are fine, and all, but they do take it a bit far.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Stuff like this (also seen here and here to back me up) screams that.

I have to admit, this one actually IS funny Laughing besides the fact that eating meat itsself doesn't make you fat.

so, these PETRA guys are ridicolous, but on the other hand the bigger food industry is even more ridicolous in their methods, we just don't realize it. I'll do my part and buy meat from the local butcher (if there's one). and I don't have pets.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
inferiare wrote:
Stuff like this (also seen here and here to back me up) screams that.

I have to admit, this one actually IS funny Laughing besides the fact that eating meat itsself doesn't make you fat.

so, these PETRA guys are ridicolous, but on the other hand the bigger food industry is even more ridicolous in their methods, we just don't realize it. I'll do my part and buy meat from the local butcher (if there's one). and I don't have pets.

Freedan, I think this might be a good time to post that picture you presented a couple months ago, lol. Laughing

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Who am I to disappoint? Very Happy

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
Who am I to disappoint? Very Happy

oh my Laughing but the more you think of artificial food in future, the more disgusting it gets Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: