TerraEarth Forums

Self Defense V. Gun- Everybody must watch this video.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:29 am   Post subject: Self Defense V. Gun- Everybody must watch this video. Reply with quote

This may very well save your life one day.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem for a 200 pound martial artist with years of training, so why should it be a problem for a common male? Laughing

oh my, these self-defence videos are just nonsense. if I wanted to rob this guy, I'd stand 3 meters in front of him and let him drop his stuff on the ground.
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
no problem for a 200 pound martial artist with years of training, so why should it be a problem for a common male? Laughing

oh my, these self-defence videos are just nonsense. if I wanted to rob this guy, I'd stand 3 meters in front of him and let him drop his stuff on the ground.

Would you have thought of that if you hadn't seen the video? I do hope no one is ever in this situation, and, chances are if they intend to shoot you, you'll never have the chance to even defend yourself.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
psychokind wrote:

Would you have thought of that if you hadn't seen the video?

yes
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, fuck those self-defense shit against guns... as someone whos been practicing martial arts for some years now, i can tell you that its even hard enough to defend yourself against close-combat weapons like knifes and clubs or something like that...

why would i stand as close as this to someone im trying to threat? if i want his stuff, i let him take out his wallet, drop hit, let him turn around and get him on his knees, take away his stuff and make my escape. and if i wanted to shoot him, i'd FUCKING DO IT and not get so close he can already touch me. real life is not a hollywood movie or a western where you chit-chat with people you want to kill or rob - its serious business. that's probably why most serious MA schools (apart from krav maga) dont teach defenses against guns.

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The average criminal is not smart enough to think about this. They view their opponent (usually women) as weak and helpless, so they can get nice and close, as often their intent is to rape as well as rob.

Against another male, they might move a distance away, sure, but not in every situation, especially if it is a public place and they are trying to keep their weapon concealed.

This video does not train you for every self defense situation involving a gun, just one particular instance. My brother has actually had a gun pulled on him, and when he was done with the guy, his hand was broken in three places.

Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
The average criminal is not smart enough to think about this.

lol. I hope you don't count on that ^^

I'm not on the "these videos are useless"-side on this, I just think this is not a mandatory thing to watch, and doing the portrayed actions WRONG can get you killed. In the U.S.
Not in Europe; because we don't have gun"discussion" (don't wanna offend anyone who's a fan of the ammendment about the right to bear arms), we're not in constant fear about getting robbed by someone with a gun.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
The average criminal is not smart enough to think about this.

lol. I hope you don't count on that ^^

In my neighborhood most crime is committed by people who are either drunk or high. Don't exactly have the reaction time.

Quote:

I'm not on the "these videos are useless"-side on this, I just think this is not a mandatory thing to watch, and doing the portrayed actions WRONG can get you killed.

If a gunman is going to kill you either way I'd take my chances with the moves. The video specifically says try to give the gunman what they want FIRST. This is a last resort.

chicken
manifested spam

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
The video specifically says try to give the gunman what they want FIRST. This is a last resort.

it always goes that way. i know how to defend myself against a knife attack and still: i'd still give all my mones to someone who demands it. defend yourself should ALWAYS be the last resort cause you might hurt your attacker and this gets you into the same position as your opponent. you dont want to be there.

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I advise you don't try this technique. I'm taking a self-defense class right now.
Best way to do right way:
1. Look for a opening to retreat safety.
2. Retreat from danger situation.
3. Get help.

Another advice: Never attack first. That will make you guilty of battery charges if it come to court time. However, you have a right to defend yourself if you are feeling your life is in danger (attacker attack first then you can do it).
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathpit wrote:

Another advice: Never attack first. That will make you guilty of battery charges if it come to court time.

Not if the person pulls out A GUN on you!!!

Confused

Seriously, DPit. We all know never attack first in a fist-fight. But if a person pulls out a gun on me and it comes down to it I will not hesitate to severely impair or even kill them. Never point a gun at somebody unless you are ready to pull the trigger.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
doing the portrayed actions WRONG can get you killed.

absolutely. it raises the chances of getting killed up to 95%. especially if the enemy shoots several times, to make sure the stubborn victim doesn't stand up again.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Blade wrote:

absolutely. it raises the chances of getting killed up to 95%. especially if the enemy shoots several times, to make sure the stubborn victim doesn't stand up again.

True but a bullet to the brain at point blank range is 100% fatal, so again, I'll take my chances if the situation arises.

You are told to do what the gunman says, yes. But you never follow the gunman anywhere or go anywhere with them. Because if so, you are as good as dead.

I've been taught that since I was a kid. Run in a zig-zag, scream bloody murder, do anything but go with the lunatic.

[Edit: This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. "Guns don't kill people. 3/4 inch holes in the head kill people."]

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Blade wrote:

True but a bullet to the brain at point blank range is 100% fatal, so again, I'll take my chances if the situation arises.

You are told to do what the gunman says, yes. But you never follow the gunman anywhere or go anywhere with them. Because if so, you are as good as dead.

I've been taught that since I was a kid. Run in a zig-zag, scream bloody murder, do anything but go with the lunatic.

[Edit: This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. "Guns don't kill people. 3/4 inch holes in the head kill people."]

Not true. I don't have the patience to look for it right now, but a kid got shot in the head with a .45 magnum, lost half of is brain, lived, and was still a functioning member of society. I remember them airing it on that old Guiness World Records show from Fox... sort of like the Dean Cain Ripley's Believe It Or Not but more low rent.

The kid's head looked like a deflated basketball, and had a specially shaped piece of styrofoam to insert into his head to make it look normal again. I kid you not.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:

Not true. I don't have the patience to look for it right now, but a kid got shot in the head with a .45 magnum, lost half of is brain, lived, and was still a functioning member of society. I remember them airing it on that old Guiness World Records show from Fox... sort of like the Dean Cain Ripley's Believe It Or Not but more low rent.

The kid's head looked like a deflated basketball, and had a specially shaped piece of styrofoam to insert into his head to make it look normal again. I kid you not.

Fair enough, but surely you're aware that that is an exception to the rule.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: