TerraEarth Forums

Planned text hack
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anclunn
Level 3: Cadet

Gems 2,051

Postanclunn Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
I'll let it slide, since it wasn't too many repeat posts, and it was confined to one topic. That said, it's also a good resource for us, so... it should be all right.

But you should stick around and post as well, we like new people! Very Happy

Actually I've been lurking since 05... I guess I'll go introduce myself though.
anclunn

Gems 2,051

Postanclunn Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm up to the raft scene so far for editing the script. I'm concerned that some of the edits won't fit when I have to insert them into the rom. I'll have to do a second run through after I'm done with this to make sure size constraints are strictly enforced as well as specify text color and speed (which are defined by control code before each text block.)
Shiva Indis
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish I'd been on time to this party... Razz

But at any rate, consider my translation notes at your disposal. http://www.terraearth.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1926

I'd also like to address some issues anclunn raised in earlier posts, because oftentimes the translation is what keeps this game from making sense.

Quote:
Will doesn’t have a living mother. He lives with his grandpa and grandma. This would be extremely insensitive. Though this would only be apparent to someone who has already played the game.
ERIK: I have to go home first. I'll see you guys there later. If you don't hurry home, your mother will think that you were kept after school.... Heh heh heh.

Erik's supposed to be talking about his own mom, like so: "If I don't get home soon, mom will find out I got kept after class... Ehehe."

Quote:
Should say “alone.” It’s a small town. We can assume people know that Will doesn’t have parents.
TOWN GUARD: Hold it! Many demons are prowling outside the town. Didn't your teacher warn you not to leave town without your parents?

Your complaint with this line is an write-in. It went like this in Japanese: "Didn't the priest warn you not to leave town for no good reason?"

Quote:
I understand why. Is that supposed to be a complete statement? Combining the last two sentences will resolve this issue.
WOMAN: I feel sorry for Seth. I understand why. He hates to see his parents fighting every day.

Mistranslation. "I can't help but feel sorry for Morris. Children can't stand watching their parents fight like that every day."

Quote:
Should say “I lifted.” Every other message is spoken by the fisherman. Consistency.
DIALOGUE: He lifted the strange teapot.

How about this? "I caught this weird jar."

Quote:
How is this narration from Will's point of view? Rewrite!
WILL: It was natural for the four friends to call this seaside cave their
second home. Usually, when lessons were done at the school, they gathered there to talk and play games until sundown.

"I could say without a doubt that this seaside cave was a second home to us. Usually, when lessons were done at the church, we gathered there to chat until sundown."

Quote:
How would lance know Kara? Erik has a crush on her? This doesn’t make sense and needs to be changed entirely.
LANCE: That's all? You came in such a hurry that I thought something
really big had happened! The princess is probably that spoiled girl, Kara..
The one you like so much!

Lance knows rumors about the princess, and Erik having a crush on her is a misconception. "That's all? With the way you busted in here I thought something really big had happened! And isn't the princess that bratty Karen? What's so great about her?"

Quote:
Take out the liar part. It’s in reaction to the above statement, which needs to be edited.
ERIK: LIAR! Maybe the soldiers will come here looking for her! The soldiers from Edward Castle look so cool. I want a steel helmet, too.

The liar part is a write-in. "That's true, but soldiers will come to town to look for her. The soldiers from Edward Castle look so cool, don't they? I want to see them, that's all."

Quote:
Someone else should be mentioning that they haven’t seen it (Seth).
ERIK: I want to see Will's mysterious power. You haven't seen it? He can
move things without touching them.

Mistranslation. Fix it, and the continuity problems disappear. "I want to see Tem's mysterious power. You know, the one he showed us the other day? Where he moves things without touching them?"

Quote:
Past tense and third person. Both are wrong. Maybe it should be something like, “I didn’t realize it was so late.”
WILL: It was already dark by the time Will left the cave.

"When I left the seaside cave, the surroundings were already dyed the color of the sunset."

Quote:
There should be some delays here. And perhaps worded a bit better. It just doesn’t seem to fit.
KARA: Are you sad? ... No? I'd be sad, if it were me. I'm sorry...

A couple of mistranslations. "Are you angry at me? No, that's not it. I made you sad, didn't I? How bad of me... I'm sorry..."
anclunn

Gems 2,051

Postanclunn Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I've been quietly working on this, but knowing some of these mistranslations makes a lot of the mistakes clear. My goal is a re-localization of the game (not so much a retranslation as size constraints won't allow me to match everything up one for one). I've figured out all the control code for the text (color, window size, text speed) as well as made text tables for the reserved words and characters. I've done a rough rewrite of most of the spoken dialogue, and inserted the new text into the game up to Will's Escape from the Castle. (I've also made herbs heal more and reduced delay for the pysho powers just to make play testing easier.)

If you want any of my notes, or want to share any of yours my e-mail is andrewclunn@gmail.com
anclunn

Gems 2,051

Postanclunn Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:28 am   Post subject: Back to it Reply with quote

So a hard drive failure really sapped me of my will to complete this (that was a few years ago now). I even lost most of my notes and tools. But thanks to some AMAZING work by another enthusiast:

http://gaiathecreator.blogspot.com/

I'm going to give it another go.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I look forward to it Very Happy glad that you got a renewed interest in it again.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: