TerraEarth Forums

Respect For the Court

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:12 am   Post subject: Respect For the Court Reply with quote

Having, sadly, been in a court room a few times in my life, I am appalled by some of these ridiculous lacks of decorum.

Woman Arrested For Wearing Short Shorts to Court

Even in my own neighborhood the court is cracking down on the dress code.

Here's the thing, every time I have ever been to court, even as just moral support for somebody, I have been in a full suit and tie. But I have seen people appearing in court in like sweats and pajama tops. I've seen girls in flip-flops for god's sake!

There are a LOT of people out there who say that dress shouldn't matter, and that all that should matter is your case. Well even from that standpoint who looks more reputable. Guy in suit or guy in jean shorts and a wifebeater (the lovely southern colloquialism for tanktops)?

Anyways, I want to hear your opinions on this subject. And as a bonus:

Law Student Disrespects Judge and Gets a Legal Beatdown

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha.

She deserved it for thinking she can "dress cute" in court.

And not wearing a bra to court? rly? how is that acceptable?

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

...lol oh wow. That's certainly window licker special right there. I'm fairly certain that when I was called for jury duty that it stated right on the postcard to wear business casual stuff. :/

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, what you wear shouldn't affect your actual case. You may look like a massive tool, but it doesn't change your case any; if you're right, you're right, and vice versa.

But really, show a little class. It's not like it's hard.

Ratty Randnums
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a way to discriminate against people who can't afford suits/dress clothing. I don't own any myself.
Also here's a tidbit of things from my experience - a man (who I'm ashamed to think I'm related to) who had beaten his girlfriend got the case thrown out simply because the judge liked him for wearing a suit to court. With something like the words "Any man who would wear a suit to court wouldn't do a thing like that." At least that was the official reason given by the judge. But I believe the man's legal counsel/his brother's wife had had sex with the judge shortly before the hearing.
Respect is earned, and my experience with the court hasn't exactly earned my highest respect. I'll respect it as far as I'm legally obligated to.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratty Randnums wrote:
Just a way to discriminate against people who can't afford suits/dress clothing.

That's a weak argument. First, every suit I've ever owned I got second hand for around $20-$30. And secondly, you don't neccesarily have to be in a suit to look nice. You can still avoid wearing short shorts, pajama tops and flip flops to court.

I agree with you that respect has to be earned, but in a court of law you had better show the proper respect if you want to have any chance of winning.

And yes, that judge was obviously corrupt and should be disciplined by the bar, but that does not mean that is the norm.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratty Randnums wrote:
But I believe the man's legal counsel/his brother's wife had had sex with the judge shortly before the hearing.

leave it to the horny ones to screw everything up -_- it happens so often in movies that you forget they do it in real life too...
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sora-mage wrote:
Ratty Randnums wrote:
But I believe the man's legal counsel/his brother's wife had had sex with the judge shortly before the hearing.

leave it to the horny ones to screw everything up -_- it happens so often in movies that you forget they do it in real life too...

pun intended?
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between "I just rolled out of bed and look trashy right now whoopsie tee hee" and "I don't have a lot of money/I don't own nice business casual clothes but I have at least made the effort to not look like trash right now" which can be obtained by at least trying.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worn a suit or a tie to court. However, I do make sure I look good if I have to be involved in any courtcase- especially the one I mentioned here awhile ago that involved handcuffs and mugshots...
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: