TerraEarth Forums

Ugh...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:21 pm   Post subject: Ugh... Reply with quote

If you haven't heard about Burn a Quran Day you soon will. To be frank I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up yet considering previous debates.

This is just obscene and stupid. I know that freedom of speech is meant to defend unpopular speech but as Freedan wisely said (and I'm paraphrasing here): "this is a childish abuse of the freedom".

I would love to go out to this ministry and burn a few Bibles, the American Flag and the US Constitution to show them how idiotic, unpatriotic and disloyal they are being, but I actually have respect for these things.

This kind of garbage infuriates me because this is the crap that makes the entire Christian community, not to mention America, look bad.

UPDATE:

Thise event was called off by the pastor.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39074573/ns/politics-white_house/?GT1=43001

Rest in peace, old avatar.

Last edited by Jason Tandro on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It's not challenging the religion, or the people that believe in it, but demeaning it in the worst way possible. When did we go from a civilized society back to the 1400's? What's next, angry mobs and burning people at the steak?
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
burning people at the steak?

Drool Tasty... (I think you meant stake)

This is horrible. I can't believe people would be this immature. Especially people who are "representing" a religion which teaches tolerance, acceptance, and calm mindedness. Its amazing how far interpretations of something can stretch.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:
burning people at the steak?

Drool Tasty... (I think you meant stake)

This is horrible. I can't believe people would be this immature. Especially people who are "representing" a religion which teaches tolerance, acceptance, and calm mindedness. Its amazing how far interpretations of something can stretch.

No, I meant steak. Eating liver with some beans and a nice... whatever. Very Happy
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

Last edited by SoulBlazerFan on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Common sense prevailed. He's called it off.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39074573/ns/politics-white_house/?GT1=43001

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this a little while ago. Nice to see that no matter how much progress is made, all it takes to keep hatred and bigotry alive and well is one person inciting it in others.

The article wrote:
But Jones vowed he would go ahead with the Quran burning, even knowing the concerns of Petraeus and Keane for the safety of U.S. troops.

"Of course we care. It'd be tragical if because of this one person died. But at the same time, we do not feel responsible for that," Jones said in an interview with ABC News.

"What we are doing is long overdue," he said. "We are revealing the violence of Islam that is much, much deeper than we'd like to admit."

I went ahead and bolded the lies. I underlined the idiocy, too. As you can see, there's a fair bit of overlap.

This man, and everyone who follows him, do not care. He doesn't care about the almost-certainly-guaranteed surge in violence, he doesn't care about the troops, and he doesn't care that he's liable to provoke another September 11th.

I'm not a huge fan of religion to begin with, partly because people sometimes use it to justify doing things I don't agree with. But even I can tell this guy's just a moron.

He's doing this to "honour the victims of 9/11". What better way to honour the dead than by provoking an attack to create more dead to keep them company?

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
I read about this a little while ago. Nice to see that no matter how much progress is made, all it takes to keep hatred and bigotry alive and well is one person inciting it in others.

The article wrote:
But Jones vowed he would go ahead with the Quran burning, even knowing the concerns of Petraeus and Keane for the safety of U.S. troops.

"Of course we care. It'd be tragical if because of this one person died. But at the same time, we do not feel responsible for that," Jones said in an interview with ABC News.

"What we are doing is long overdue," he said. "We are revealing the violence of Islam that is much, much deeper than we'd like to admit."

I went ahead and bolded the lies. I underlined the idiocy, too. As you can see, there's a fair bit of overlap.

This man, and everyone who follows him, do not care. He doesn't care about the almost-certainly-guaranteed surge in violence, he doesn't care about the troops, and he doesn't care that he's liable to provoke another September 11th.

I'm not a huge fan of religion to begin with, partly because people sometimes use it to justify doing things I don't agree with. But even I can tell this guy's just a moron.

He's doing this to "honour the victims of 9/11". What better way to honour the dead than by provoking an attack to create more dead to keep them company?

He is an idiot obviously. How is burning books at all honorable? Doing this will, just as you said, only provide more hatred on both ends, and may spark a potential new threat to America. Just what we need.
This User Has Completed

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even realize until now that Jason ninja'd me by 7 minutes. I was typing up my whole thing there, and it was already called off. Meh/Worried

Though I do enjoy his flip-flopping faster than a politician.

Second article wrote:
"We are, of course, now against any other group burning Qurans," Jones said during the first news conference. We would right now ask no one to burn Qurans. We are absolutely strong on that. It is not the time to do it."

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

...what an idiot. honestly, some people
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all stupid, but I'd love to see what happens if he pulls through Very Happy
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
it's all stupid, but I'd love to see what happens if he pulls through Very Happy

Yeah, I think this generation has some collective death wish. We've been desensitized by the internet and that rock and roll (music of the devil I tell you!), so we always have a little part of us that wants to see a situation get really bad really quickly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: