TerraEarth Forums

Perplexed - Plot Ambiguities.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostGuest Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:11 am   Post subject: Perplexed - Plot Ambiguities. Reply with quote

I know this might not be the right group of people to ask (almost no one in this forum talks about the game, really), and it is probably very impolite to barge in as a newcomer and ask questions like this in a new topic (if it is, I apologize), but there are some questions I just have to ask. You see, I'm thinking about doing some fan work of the game (namely, a short online doujin for a friend who convinced me to play [and I fell in love with the game's story and main character's personality; mind you, not that kind], though I can't draw that well {he thinks I can}, but not for a while), and there are some ambiguities I'd like to ask opinions of.
1)Why did Ark go to Beruga's lab?
2)Were D. Yomi and Ark friends or not?
3)How do you think Yomi felt about killing Ark (the game doesn't definitively say)?
4)How do you think Ark felt about the end?
5)Which Yomi was Ark talking to at the end?
6)How old was Ark, in your opinion?
7)Why did D. Gaia use a copy of the hero at all?
8)Is it always Ark who restores the balance, or is it random heroes?
9)Reincarnations? Resurrections? Or neither?
10)How many years pass in which the game takes place?
11)Is Yomi a he, she (unlikely; girls don't diss themselves with the "hell hath no fury" line), or it?
12)What happened to D. Ark?
13)What happened to L. Ark?
14)Was the gull a dream?
15)Who was at Elle's door?
16)Was the ending, in your opinion, sad, happy, hopeful, or bittersweet? Why?
Please help me get another's opinion on this. This post is not a joke. I really do want to try at some point, hopefully relatively soon. Oh, and if this is not the right group of people to ask, I sincerely (no joke) apologize for interrupting your conversations, and I won't interject anymore. Also, if it is the right place, would you guys mind if I asked more questions from time to time (sporadically)?
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things first: you're always welcome to swing by the forums and ask whatever questions you have. It's a friendly place, as long as you show the same respect to the other people. Cool Guy

Second, we don't talk about the game much because there's only so much to talk about. A lot of the things you brought up have already been covered at one time or another. But we generally like the game just as much.

As for your questions.... wow, that's a lot of questions. I don't know how well I can answer these, but I'll see what I can do.

- Why did Ark go to Beruga's lab?

If I remember right, it's because Ark was told that Beruga was a genius of science, and had great plans for the world; to revive him from cryostasis would be saving the world. Of course, those "plans" involved messing around with things people shouldn't.

- Were D. Yomi and Ark friends?

I'd say no. He revealed near the end that he was trying to kill Ark for D.Gaia, so I'd say the entire "help the guy out" thing was an act to get Ark to rebuild the world the way the bad guys wanted.

- How did Yomi feel about killing Ark?

Hard to say, I guess. Didn't seem to have any qualms about it. He must have felt it was right/necessary.

- How did Ark feel at the end?

I would say he felt at peace. It can't be easy knowing your world - everything you've known - will simply cease to exist. But he got to spend his remaining time in his home.

- Which Yomi was he talking to at the end?

Light Yomi.... the Dark one was killed when Elle sacrificed herself.

- How old was Ark?

He seems to be pretty young at a lot of points in the game, so probably early teens. 14, maybe. (Why are heroes always so young? Confused )

- Why did D.Gaia use a copy of the hero at all?

D.Gaia needed someone to revive the world to his vision.... Ark was chosen for that job. I guess Ark was special.... people always warned him about how dangerous "Crystal Blue" was, but he was never affected by it in the game; maybe that meant something?

- Is it always Ark who restores the balance, or random heroes?

They never mentioned another instance as far as I remember, so it's hard to say. I'd assume it's random. Whoever is special enough (powerful enough) to bring about the resurrections.

- How many years pass?

No one seems to age or anything, but entire cities develop from the ground up. Loire goes from being ruled by a tyrant king to being run by the people (a huge change that takes years in real life), so it seems like a LOT of time goes by. Hard to guess.

- Is Yomi a he, she or it?

I think Ark always referred to Yomi as a he, but I might be wrong. I'd probably say he, but maybe an "it". "She" doesn't seem too likely to me.

- What happened to D. Ark? To Light Ark?

You played the game as D. Ark, if I'm not mistaken. Light Ark was encountered at Dryvale. This is one of the more confusing parts for me, but I believe Light Ark was the baby that Elle was reluctant to kill, and Dark Ark merged with Light Ark to become one entity before Yomi could do the job. So they became one hero. I think they split apart again at the end, I'll mention that later.

- Was the gull a dream?

If you mean at the end of the game during the credit roll, yes. That was Ark's last dream, flying over a peaceful, living world as a seagull.

- Who was at Elle's door?

This is left to your imagination. Myself, I'm assuming it was Ark somehow. That is, I think it's Light Ark. The Dark Ark would disappear in the Underworld Crysta, leaving his light counterpart in his own world.

- What was the ending like?

Bittersweet, I'd say. All of Ark's work had been with a positive mindset; he set out to restore life, and he saw so much that he had never imagined before. To him, he was doing good. Then, he finds out he was only a puppet being used for evil ends. He thinks he's set things right by defeating the evil, then finds out his life is essentially over. He can't live his life happy in Crysta with Elle, because the underworld will cease to exist. The life he always wanted, he can't have. His only solace is that he gets it for one last day.

Whew.... lots of questions. There are other posters here who know a lot more than I do, but hopefully that helps a bit.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:44 am   Post subject: Re: Perplexed - Plot Ambiguities. Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I know this might not be the right group of people to ask (almost no one in this forum talks about the game, really), and it is probably very impolite to barge in as a newcomer and ask questions like this in a new topic (if it is, I apologize), but there are some questions I just have to ask. You see, I'm thinking about doing some fan work of the game (namely, a short online doujin for a friend who convinced me to play [and I fell in love with the game's story and main character's personality; mind you, not that kind], though I can't draw that well {he thinks I can}, but not for a while), and there are some ambiguities I'd like to ask opinions of.
3)How do you think Yomi felt about killing Ark (the game doesn't definitively say)?
11)Is Yomi a he, she (unlikely; girls don't diss themselves with the "hell hath no fury" line), or it?
14)Was the gull a dream?
Please help me get another's opinion on this. This post is not a joke. I really do want to try at some point, hopefully relatively soon. Oh, and if this is not the right group of people to ask, I sincerely (no joke) apologize for interrupting your conversations, and I won't interject anymore. Also, if it is the right place, would you guys mind if I asked more questions from time to time (sporadically)?

No, you're ok. Very Happy We're fans of the game here too, feel free to ask us any questions you like, alright? As for your questions...and these are just my opinions. Others will come and answer too, I'm sure.

Quote:

I believe he goes after he hears of the man who tried to become god.

Quote:

Ark trusted dark Yomi, so I'm sure he thought of Yomi as his friend.

Quote:

I don't think he felt any remorse for it; he was doing as Dark Gaia willed.

Quote:

Sad... I mean, he helped the world grow, and then he couldn't see it develop any further.

Quote:

I believe he was talking to the good and bad Yomi, if that makes sense.

Quote:

Probably at least 15 or 16. In any promotional art he looks like he's a teenager.

Quote:

Well, since the people in Crysta were copies of the people on the surface, he probably used a copy of the light-side Ark to balance things out. Light side Ark would save the world from the dark, and the dark side would take over the light, so to speak.

Quote:

I think it's Ark mainly, but he does have some help along the way.

Quote:

I'm not too sure what you mean, but I'll answer the best I can. I'm thinking that the world was ressurected from destruction.. so it would be ressurection, and not reincarnation.

Quote:

I would guess quite a few; at least 3 years or so.

Quote:

Yomi is a male XD I can just tell.

Quote:

He became a bird, and probably a lot of other reincarnations after that to see the world he created progress.

Quote:

I think Light Ark was already dead, so he probably merged with Dark Ark and was reincarnated.

Quote:
14)Was the gull a dream?

In the game it says he dreamed about it, but I don't think it was.

Quote:

I'm thinking it was Ark who was at her door. You do hear birds chirping, and birds don't chirp at midnight. Very Happy

Quote:

Sad!!!!! The ending always makes me cry. I suppose it's a bit hopeful, as it's a bright future and all. It's sad, because Dark Elle (I think) loved Ark, but nothing between them happened, since Crysta disappeared.

I hope that helps you. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Lenc
Art Monkey

Level 11: Worlock

Resident

Gems 8,348

PostLenc Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:35 pm   Post subject: Re: Perplexed - Plot Ambiguities. Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
14)Was the gull a dream?

No, you're ok. Very Happy We're fans of the game here too, feel free to ask us any questions you like, alright? As for your questions...and these are just my opinions. Others will come and answer too, I'm sure.

Quote:

To resurrect a genius.

Quote:

Yes IMO even i began to be friends with yomi... got surprized about him actually being on the side of Dark Gaia

Quote:

Yomi was following orders right from the beginning.

Quote:

Peacefull for being able to see the entire world and resurect it with his own hands.

Sad, cuz everything he fought for and everyone (crysta) Dissapeared even after his hard work

Quote:

Light yomi Dak yomi died.... although it botehrs me he knows everything Dark yomi and Ark went trough.

Quote:

16 IMO

Quote:

To beable to control the world, but Ark turned against Dark gaia

[quote]8)Is it always Ark who restores the balance, or is it random
The ending explains whenever the world is in danger a hero apears not stating Who. Also at the Hero's Grave there are plenty of heroes burried there.

Quote:

WTF?

Quote:

Lots and Lots probebly more than 100 of years. Since columbus was long dead when bell made the first telephone

Quote:

its and It

Quote:

He dissapears

Quote:

He's long dead

Quote:
14)Was the gull a dream?

IMO no... it was Ark reborn

Quote:

the Gull

Quote:

quite Sad, I didnt like it that everything he fought for (his hometown) just dissapeared. All that hard work to save them and it just dissapears

STEAM: Lenc Chroso
BNET: Blindeduif#2260
TerraHero
Level 8: Amarante

Resident

Gems 6,006

PostTerraHero Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the Guru talk Rolling Eyes

1)Ark went to beruga's lab coz it was on his route description. No seriously he was resurecting the genius.

2)Yes, but they where in a sort of love/hate relation u see alot in those buddy movies. I think even Yomi grew to like Ark a lil.

3)He followed orders given by Dark Gaia. He didnt really seem to express any emotion.

4)All Ark wanted where the care-free days of crysta..and he got them.

5)To the light Yomi seeing as the Dark was already gone.

6)I think he was 16. He was still very young. Didnt seem to care about a job or live on his own. He juz wanted fun. Also his apearence seems teenage. No real muscular developements.

7) Well, Light Ark had passed away a long time ago. Light was connected to Light Gaia. So i doubt Dark Gaia could plot all this evil stuff he went up to Kight gaia adn said "i'm juz gona borrow this hero of yours for an ebil plan" He had to create a hero that he could control.

8)Even tough Heroes grave was loaded with grave stones... Its hard to tell. All we do know is that Ark had to atleast twice. Forst his light version before him and now Dark Ark as his copy.

9)Reincarnation, pretty clearly. Everything seemed to follow a path of life, death and rebirth. Even the planet. And judging from this cycle going on for a long time, i say it is closest to a Reincarnation.

10) this is not stated anywhere. Some times u say, les then1 and another u thing it could be hundereds. If u take it all real, the world started counting in year 1. Then alteadt a few hundred seeing as columbus set out sail in the year 400 something.

11)An It. Yomi said that all evolution started with Yomis and might end with Yomi's. Even tough he is still depicted alot as male. I think Yomi doesnt carry a gender.

12/13)D. Ark was merged with Light Ark at the Hero's Grave in Dryvale. But at the end i think they seperated, so to answer both, D Ark got his extra day in crysta and then he disapeared. And i think Light Ark was the bird you saw. After all they became one, one tought and one memory.

14) See 13, i think it is Light Ark. Seeing as Dark Ark was a copy with no real soul. But light Ark did have one, so he could have been reincaranted into that bird. And go to elle coz of the memoery he had shared with Dark Ark or something.

15) Everyone will say the Gull, but in the end..no one knows..i doubt even the developers know.

16)My opinion about the end, it was happy and Sad...but not bitter sweet. My feelign about completing the game was bittersweet. But the ending. It had a touch of sadnes that Ark had to pass away. But a feeling of hope that everything came to be alright. And happy, that eventually Arks tortured soul found rest once again.

PostGuest Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I'm very thankful for the answers and kindness, and would love to have more opinions. I'm sorry for what must be rehash, but I couldn't find anything online through searches of forums. Some things:
-Should I work my ideas out in a fanfic first, since I won't be doing a doujin for some time?
-As for the question about how Yomi felt about killing Ark, to expand upon the question: what would work best? There seemed to be some level of camaderie between the two, and the lines Yomi was given at the time could've been delivered either way. Basically, what would work best in an expanded story in terms of storytelling?
-Again, for the sake of good storytelling, for which any remaker may deviate from the original story, should the hero always be Ark? It would add some amount of poignancy, but might be overkill; I'm not sure.
-What is the best way to resolve the cliffhanger, in your opinion?
-If one was to write a story about the hero having to restore balance by bringing about the fall of the heavens and earth shortly after the events in the game, should it be a new character, or Ark?
-And, since I am too dumb to figure it out, did D. Yomi die when D. Elle sacrificed herself to save Ark? After all, if he/it did, L. Yomi sure knows an awful lot more about what happened than it seems he should.
-Since it was the hero's grave, does that imply that, regardless of how many different heroes there may have been, it had once been Ark in the past at some point?
-Were those other graves of heroes at all? I don't remember the game specifying, due to my pitifully short memory span.
You've been a great help, and I appreciate the replies I've gotten, and will appreciate any replies I get.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Wow. I'm very thankful for the answers and kindness, and would love to have more opinions. I'm sorry for what must be rehash, but I couldn't find anything online through searches of forums. Some things:
-Should I work my ideas out in a fanfic first, since I won't be doing a doujin for some time?

It might be a good idea, that way when you write the fanfic, you'll know how you want things drawn.

Quote:
-As for the question about how Yomi felt about killing Ark, to expand upon the question: what would work best? There seemed to be some level of camaderie between the two, and the lines Yomi was given at the time could've been delivered either way. Basically, what would work best in an expanded story in terms of storytelling?

I believe he did control dark Elle to do it, if I'm not mistaken... but I'm sure he would have had some conflict of it, and it would work if he did he had some conflict about it.
Quote:
-Again, for the sake of good storytelling, for which any remaker may deviate from the original story, should the hero always be Ark? It would add some amount of poignancy, but might be overkill; I'm not sure.
Well, Ark did have some help, so you might wanna use that.
Quote:
-What is the best way to resolve the cliffhanger, in your opinion?
Have a sillouette of Ark. Wink
Quote:
-If one was to write a story about the hero having to restore balance by bringing about the fall of the heavens and earth shortly after the events in the game, should it be a new character, or Ark?
It would make sense to have a new hero, since in theory Ark dies. ^^;
Quote:
-And, since I am too dumb to figure it out, did D. Yomi die when D. Elle sacrificed herself to save Ark? After all, if he/it did, L. Yomi sure knows an awful lot more about what happened than it seems he should.
Yep, he went poof.
Quote:
-Since it was the hero's grave, does that imply that, regardless of how many different heroes there may have been, it had once been Ark in the past at some point?
Most likely, since it's a shadow of Ark (and in the "Choose your own adventure" book, Ark meets himself), and it makes sense.
Quote:
-Were those other graves of heroes at all? I don't remember the game specifying, due to my pitifully short memory span.
They could be, and it would make sense as well. Dryvale could possibly be the final resting place of the heroes.

Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers that are not supplied are because there exists someone who already replied that question more or less as I would.

No.

He didn't had any feelings. Just like a good soldier.

Ark: Well, crap. I spent 3 years or so trying to fix up a world and now I get screwed like this? oh well.. nothing to do.. let's just use this last day to finally score with that chick Elle!(actually I think Ark just tried to enjoy that day more than the others while doing the same things he always did, tought he felt some sadness he felt like the way things were happening were the right way)

Maybe because it was the only who had the potential to do what he needed. After all, if the hero is the most capable person for the task, and in D. Gaia's plans it would never know about the truth, it would have been perfect for D. Gaia.

Not exactly Ark. But neither someone else. Someone else, who has the same soul as Ark, so in esence, it's always Ark, but it really isn't Ark when we count him as a whole.

The most close one is reincarnation.

I would say 3-4 yrs.

Sad, happy, hopeful and bittersweet. After all, depending on which light you see the ending, it can be many things...

PostGuest Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies! I'll watch for more, but I think I've asked all there is to ask. After all, some creative license must be given to the author, right? And yes, some of the questions, in retrospect, were very dumb, and I apologize for wasting your time for you to answer them. You guys must think I'm stupid (though I don't know if that is really that far from the truth). Oh well. Btw, just in case anyone's wondering, the reason I kept asking about Yomi was because in the fanfic's I've read, a number put him as being pitying or even on friendly terms with Ark, so I got rather confused. I think I will portray them as having some degree (not sure how close) of friendship, and that Yomi will be taken over by D. Gaia at that particular point. Also, I think I'll write a fanfic, and see what the response to that is. You've been a great help, and any other opinions and answers to my previous questions would still be VERY welcome. I'll need as many opinions as I can get, really. Thanks again.

P.S. - It wouldn't be bad if I came back in the future to ask more seemingly obvious questions, right? I might not be posting for a while as I work (though I'll definitely read any replies in this topic, probably on the day it's posted.......), but I get the feeling I'll need help later.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks again for the replies! I'll watch for more, but I think I've asked all there is to ask. After all, some creative license must be given to the author, right? And yes, some of the questions, in retrospect, were very dumb, and I apologize for wasting your time for you to answer them. You guys must think I'm stupid (though I don't know if that is really that far from the truth). Oh well. Btw, just in case anyone's wondering, the reason I kept asking about Yomi was because in the fanfic's I've read, a number put him as being pitying or even on friendly terms with Ark, so I got rather confused. I think I will portray them as having some degree (not sure how close) of friendship, and that Yomi will be taken over by D. Gaia at that particular point. Also, I think I'll write a fanfic, and see what the response to that is. You've been a great help, and any other opinions and answers to my previous questions would still be VERY welcome. I'll need as many opinions as I can get, really. Thanks again.

P.S. - It wouldn't be bad if I came back in the future to ask more seemingly obvious questions, right? I might not be posting for a while as I work (though I'll definitely read any replies in this topic, probably on the day it's posted.......), but I get the feeling I'll need help later.

You're always welcome here. ^_^ If you'd like, you can register and join us in pointless spamming as well, so we can see your comic as well. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Lenc
Art Monkey

Level 11: Worlock

Resident

Gems 8,348

PostLenc Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

1st of all we dont think your stupid cuz some of the questions are hard to find out or are things we dont understand ourselfs... most is just the wya YOU see it. not everone agrees on the same thing.

Anyway come back anytime. Any terranigma fan is like a family member here Very Happy

STEAM: Lenc Chroso
BNET: Blindeduif#2260

PostGuest Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, here's another question. I'm starting my fic now. Uh. Anyways. In the prologue, it says, "46 billion years since the planet's birth......" Well, that's awfully off of what our earth's age is now. And it's supposed to be like, if not, our earth. Do you suppose they meant 4.6 billion? The earth is currently about 4.5, by scientific estimates. So maybe, they meant that in the next hundred million years, the world is destroyed, and after that, the events of Terranigma come to pass? It seems logical somehow to me. Eh......yeah.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty safe to assume they meant 4.6 billion years. 46 billion is just.... too many.

TerraHero
Level 8: Amarante

Resident

Gems 6,006

PostTerraHero Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

depends :p

If the thing in TN happend many times before i think its ahrd to fit several million of years in juz 4,6biljion years :p
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I've never believed the earth is that old... and yeah, it could possibly be the one we're living on now, but think of it as an alternate Earth... considering Columbus, Bell, Eddy, Will, and Temjin were't alive all at the same time in our world. So I'm thinking it would be safe to say that it was an "alternate" world. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: