TerraEarth Forums

Revolution stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axe Kazama
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

either way, Nintendo has to come out sometime soon either before or after the other consoles, otherwise it be a repeat of the Gamecube
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a repeat of the Gamecube anyway.... great games will be released, but it'll be oeverlooked, and it won't do as well as it should, because gamers have already made up their minds.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
It'll be a repeat of the Gamecube anyway.... great games will be released, but it'll be oeverlooked, and it won't do as well as it should, because gamers have already made up their minds.

Because they're all graphic whores who don't play the games for THE GAME anymore.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There weren't any great games released on the Gamecube in the first place with a few exceptions but not enough to appeal to the larger community, they extremely limited themselves
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can name some good games off the top of my head.

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee
2. Evolution: Worlds
3. Tales of Symphonia
4. Zelda: Wind Waker
5. Mario Parties
6. Mario Kart
7. Zelda promo disks (with Ura Zelda (Master Quest), Majora's Mask, and the original NES Zelda games)
8. Capcom vs. SNK
9. Super Mario Sunshine
10. Eternal Darkness
11. Spiderman
12. Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2
13. Phantasy Star Online 3: C.A.R.D Revolution
14.Luigi's Mansion
15. Super Mario Sunshine
16. Skies of Arcadia
17. Soul Caliber 2
18. Warioware (the party game one, it's addicting)
19. Baten Kaitos
20. Metroid Prime
21. Metriod Prime 2
22. Prince of Persia 1
23. Prince of Persia 2

When I play "Lost Kingdoms", I'll most likely add that to the list. The new Zelda game is obvious.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And it looks like 'Kindred Blades' (third Prince of Persia game) will be up there too (though admittedly, I've only see the trailer/read some reports).

There's no shortage of good games, they just don't get the same attention. Gamers generally want something that looks amazing and plays like shyte. (DOA Beach Volleyball, anyone?)

A friend of mine (FFXI nerd friend, Raini knows that one) absolutely refused to go anywhere near Wind Waker because of how it looked. According to him, he "didn't want to play it because it was a cartoon".

Sad, I say. Sad

Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of those games don't really have a replay value for the mature gamer (cept for Super Smash Bros Melee and Mario Party...I wish I had more controllers...but I'm poor)
The other half don't really appeal to the mature gamer either (I don't like Mario, he fucks me off, to me his games are like Kingdom Hearts without the RPG factor which makes it shit for me..but that's IMO)
plus about a third of those games you can get on the other systems anyway

not flaming Nintendo or anything, I just want people to understand the other side of the argument, because I don't want you guys to think "Nintendo is doing shitty because gamers think "IT DOESN'T HAVE COOL GRPAHICS" or "ITS TOO KIDDY FOR ME" blah blah blah. Think outside the square you live in Smile
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Axe Kazama wrote:
not flaming Nintendo or anything, I just want people to understand the other side of the argument, because I don't want you guys to think "Nintendo is doing shitty because gamers think "IT DOESN'T HAVE COOL GRPAHICS" or "ITS TOO KIDDY FOR ME" blah blah blah. Think outside the square you live in Smile

But that's exactly how it sounds. (Don't mean to pick on you, it's just that a friend of mine is a graphics whore). What is a "mature gamer"? What's the line between a mature gamer and a "non-mature" gamer (instead of "kiddy gamer")? People who don't value graphics above all else aren't mature?

I'd say someone who can appreciate a game for what it is as opposed to how it looks is the mature one.

For example: Twilight Princess is shaping up to be one of the most hyped-up games yet... I've seen very few negative comments about it from anyone, fanboys or otherwise. Wind Waker, on the other hand, got very mixed reviews from everyone.

Most Zelda games generally play alike, so it can't be the gameplay that's the major difference (there are some differences between these two, but it's mainly sailing vs. horseback). The only real difference is in how they look. Wind Waker is much shorter than TP, so it should have much more replay value.... but it's often overlooked while TP will undoubtedly be embraced. The reason? People care about graphics more than anything. Read any preview of TP and you'll probably see the previewer gushing about how beautiful it looks.

And that's really too bad, because graphics should rank low on the priority scale. But people got spoiled with good graphics, and now they expect it all the time.... if they don't get it, they dismiss the game.

Edit: I should also mention that a "mature gamer" who praises SSBM but dismisses something like Mario Sunshine due to graphics is a tad hypocritical. Their graphics are pretty much the same.... bright, colourful, like Nintendo always does. It would obviously be the gameplay they liked in SSBM. Dismissing one game over graphics while praising another game (that has the same graphics) makes no sense.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. If it weren't for Nintendo doing something different from Pong and Pac-Man (and making far better games than these), we wouldn't have the graphics. Sure, the PlayStation still would have come out, but it was Nintendo that had the rights to the original Final Fantasy series (ok, pretty much ANYTHING from Squaresoft at the time) up until Final Fantasy 7 (which ALMOST got released on the N64). I think of myself as a "mature gamer" and I couldn't give two shits about the graphics. Sure, it's a nice bonus if the graphics are awesome, but gameplay/controls should matter OVER the graphics. A game could have the BEST graphics out there, but it could be the shittiest game ever (I'm talking E.T. for the Atari shitties game ever).

I was a graphics whore for a short time. Then I realized they shouldn't matter, since it's about the GAME and how enjoyable it is, great graphics or crap graphics.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Muerte

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but then not everyone judges how good the game is the same way as another person would, even excluding graphics people just find different parts of the game enjoyable ... and a lot of people just don't like the cube style etc, the controls aint all that great in my oppinion. I suppose it may just be me, but I prefer my games to feel epic in a sense ... and a colourful plumber wielding a hose doesn't really feel right to me. It may be a good game, but it makes it hard to enjoy.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My lady friend and I were just talking about this stuff earlier today... we both agree that it's kind of sad that the days when anyone could just pick up a game and play are over. Something like the NES Mario series is the perfect example... there were no complicated controls or special moves to memorize, anyone could just pick it up and go.

Like she said.... if you haven't played every console up to the current generation (say, buying a PS3 without playing the first two), you'll be way out of the loop.

I miss those days, myself... when games didn't HAVE to have a sense of realism, and be some huge, epic, 90-hour quest. That's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to the Revolution. Not only will I get my current-gen fix (since I HAVE played all the consoles up to now), but I'll have access to all the old stuff from days gone by.

Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Freedan, the Dark Knight"]
Axe Kazama wrote:

Edit: I should also mention that a "mature gamer" who praises SSBM but dismisses something like Mario Sunshine due to graphics is a tad hypocritical. Their graphics are pretty much the same.... bright, colourful, like Nintendo always does. It would obviously be the gameplay they liked in SSBM. Dismissing one game over graphics while praising another game (that has the same graphics) makes no sense.

I didn't mention anything about graphics, I just said the gameplay was similar to KH without the RPG factor, which I find is quite basic, and it doesn't interest me because it feels so empty.
Melee on the otherhand interests me, because I have access to Multiplayer because I have brothers that enjoy Multiplayer games.

and if you weren't aiming that statement at me, then......you stink
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't meant for you, so.... I stink then.

It was meant for fanboys in general. The main reason I see for all the hating has always been graphics. Yes, presentation does matter, but I honestly don't see why it always seems to get top priority. People have lost sight of what's important.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on to some kind of topic, as I mentioned to dark knight, I thought it would be cool for the kids in the United States/Canada to get games that weren't previously released in the states/Canada, such like Terranigma, and games that weren't released in Europe/Australia should be available to download.

I'm hoping myself for Star Ocean and Terranigma, and maybe a couple other cool games like Bahamut Lagoon or Tales of Phantasia. Hopefully we can request games from Nintendo to try and translate for the masses. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

3. Tales of Symphonia Dissapointed me. I expected more. Still good tought.
5. Mario Parties I'm tired of these. Too many of them.
7. Zelda promo disks (with Ura Zelda (Master Quest), Majora's Mask, and the original NES Zelda games) >.> Yeah, so not really gamecube games but remakes.
11. Spiderman From all I know, it almost sucked.
12. Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 Not very interesting without internet connection.
14.Luigi's Mansion Come on, this game is good as an entry game, maybe show it to someone but after playing it a while you get tired.
15. Super Mario Sunshine You put this one twice.
22. Prince of Persia 1
23. Prince of Persia 2 I hate the way these two game cameras work. Also there seems to be some sort of problem with the feeling of climbing and stuff. The last one could be just me tought.

The gamecube did have fewer games than the other consoles. No there was no real shortage tought, but it's like every Gamecube player knows about most of the Gamecube games.

I have heard many PS2 and XBOX players wanting to try a gamecube, after saying it sucks. It was stupid from most players to reject the Gamecube coz of it's looks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: