TerraEarth Forums

Video Games - subtitles?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ocie Denver
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:00 pm   Post subject: Video Games - subtitles? Reply with quote

We, deaf gamers, always look out for video games with subtitles. We wont buy any games dont come with subtitles. Doom 3, Half Life, or popular games dont carry subtitles. Why did they think of hear-impairing gamers like me?!? Are they cruel ppl?
Nintendo do care since most of their games usually come with subtitles. Sony do sometimes. SquareEnix did with their games like FF or FM games. Microsoft? They dont. Angry MechWarriors 4 games do fine with me but I dont get anything from short movies or intercoms expect mission briefs pop out in front of me.
If I bought and found out game dont include with subtitles, then it's crap and waste of money. That's happen to me when I bought out Robotech: Battlecry, Metal Arms: Glitch in System, and Star Trek: Shattered Unvierse games. Subtitles are important to me if I need to know how to complete the missions or understand how to play game in correct way.

I wish someone in video games magazines would tell me which games with subtitles or developers had to put "subtitles included" message on their game cases.

Now, I look for good subtitled games cover anything like movies or intercoms. Would you look up in your game collection to see if they're subtitled? If you dont see any subtitles, try look in options menu if it got subtitle option available. Old games, like snes or sega genesis, dont need to be listed but I need to see PC games, too.
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathpit, old boy... I offer this to you.

http://www.deafgamers.com

If you want to see if a game has subtitles, go to their reviews section and do a quick text search for the word "subtitle". They mention whether or not a game has it.

Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for link you post, but most of games I noticed were release few years or not cover 100% of video games listed in gamefaqs. Fun thing I found was it dont mentioned Armored Core Nexus since it's subtitled game. Expect Amored Core 3 did made it to deafgamers list. I'll look up in that website for sometimes. Thank you.
And as for your search tip...it would be good idea to do it but most review writers dont bother to report subtitles since they do nothing with games.
Previously known as Aoiga

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 1,121

Postblueisalive Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a dedication that any videos/movies [that include voices] I will ever make will be made to accomodate the needs of the hearing and seeing impaired... If that is worth anything.

Yay! I won something!
Thanx raini for the great sigs!
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Star Ocean 3 has the option to have subtitles, and so does FFX, FFX-2, and FFXI (except the opening movie). I would check the rest of my games, but I'm at school. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess I am a bastard. Till today I was against subtitles in games, they substract gameplay experience. But I didn't ever tought that it would mean it would affect a whole lot more deaf players.. sorry Dpit ... Banging Head
Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I could kill you, Coz,... for real time. But you're lucky guy.... I accept your apologzie. If you dont like subtitles, look up in option menu if you could turn off the subtitle option. Rolling Eyes Sometime games usually had subtitle option turn on by default.
Subtitles dont take alot of size or screen since they're simple texts or affect the game experience.
Subtitles are important to deaf ppl to understanding the commucations. Like video games, we always look out for TV shows, DVDs, or subtitled movies at theaters, too.
US have laws required all TV shows or movies to have CC (Closed Caption) included. Why not video games, too?
I dont care how developers, like Microsoft, Bungie and their Halo, making excuses for not have their games subtitled or did said they will do it via replied to deaf gamers' emails. Bungie did had Halo 2 subtitled - only in special edition. Special Edition? It's impossible to find them in every store if I want to buy it.
I dont waste my time on searching for subtitle mods via internet or nags on developers for subtitle updates.
If I were CEO of video game industries, I wont allow non-subtitle games being published to public and terminate the contracts if they refused to have games subtitled.
I do remember playing the first mission in SW Jedi Knight II on GC... I kept failed the mission until my nephew heard help call from trapped friend after I press a security panel. After that, I managed finish the mission without any trouble.
I felt I was rejected from world. Truth....world need to know anything's that truth or there's no freedom or peace.
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

well at least you're getting this off your chest
other than that I don't have much to say
I guess, you can get a petition going, but nowadays most games have subtitles, and few games need them anyway (racing/fighting, etc.)
TerraHero
Level 8: Amarante

Resident

Gems 6,006

PostTerraHero Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Coz not everyone is interrested in subtitles Tongue out

But they should offer the possibilty, with a patch or an option.

it cant be that much work...
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another game that I have that have subtitles: Sonic Heroes, if you like the Sonic games. Even in the cutscene fmv's they have subtitles.

I don't think most PS1 games have em, cuz there's no voice in the fmv's, so I don't think I have to worry about that.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a Nintendo fan DP.... I don't know how in to RPG's you are (I know you like shooter games a lot), but Tales of Symphonia is a great game (and lengthy to boot), with subtitles for the cutscenes.

Hydra.7

Gems 1,000
Location: Someone told me Earth, but I don't believe them. c:

PostHydra.7 Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
You're a Nintendo fan DP.... I don't know how in to RPG's you are (I know you like shooter games a lot), but Tales of Symphonia is a great game (and lengthy to boot), with subtitles for the cutscenes.

I LOVE ToS!!!!!! It was a COOOL GAME!!! I put it in my "all time favorite game list" List!!!! And it did have the option of subtitles which made it good for the deaf and for people that like to read!!! Crazy Dance

I think all games should have a "subtitle or no subtitle" option, because it just isn't fare to not have them. Not to menchion if you have to be quiet and have to Mute the volume, you can always READ!!!! Crazy Dance
( Very Happy I had to do that once)
Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a RPG game, Pokemon Colosseum (GC). It follows gb pokemon traditional system as usually expect few things apart from game boy games. If I need to catch more pokemons, I had to steal them from trainers with snap balls. Evil or Very Mad It's still subtitled game.
But I also got large collection of RPG gba games so I would playing anywhere. I cant stop myself from buying more games! You're nuts

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra.7 wrote:

I think all games should have a "subtitle or no subtitle" option, because it just isn't fare to not have them.

Not most of the games are subtitled. For example, Metal Arms: Glitch in System game dont have subtitles cover up WHOLE cutscenes and gameplays. It dont tell me what to do in the mission like avoid being busted when you playing as enemy spy at training facitily. I kept get myself killed after disobey the enemy's orders. But dont worry, I beat the spy mission with help of guides found in gamefaqs.com website.
Not only PS2 and GC games, I owned.. also has a quite collection of old and new PC games. Almost half of PC games are non-subtitled ones. Sad
I'm not sure if I need to list the whole collection of games I had..... Rolling Eyes

Gems 1,000
Location: Someone told me Earth, but I don't believe them. c:

PostHydra.7 Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Seee? That's why they need to have them! To prevent confusion!!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: