TerraEarth Forums

Remakes, Reboots and Localizations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly love Jackie Chan, but he can't replace Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi.

I've also heard of possible remakes of the Back to the Future movies. I'm sorry, but the kids of this generation can freakin' deal with the originals, they'd be better than any remake could ever be.

Hell, I heard some 10 year old kids before the new Karate Kid movie came out saying the original was way better because the new one wouldn't be right. They were looking at the Redbox in my store, saw the original version and went OH MY GOD KARATE KID THE NEW ONE IS GONNA SUCK IT WON'T HOLD UP TO THE OLD ONES!

...:\

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Jeez... I just lost a whole fricken post I was about to put up... ICK.

Anyway, let me go with the cliffnotes:

BTTF Remake: I wouldn't mind it. Michael J Fox said he'd love to be in it and play Doc Brown (Probably a joke). I hate films that are rebooted or re-imagined that the originals had no definable ending. (Here's looking at you, every single horror franchise I loved in my youth).

BttF, on the other hand, did have closure. And I'd love to see more adventures with Doc Brown and Marty McFly- even if it's with an entirely new cast. If handled correctly, it could be a wonderful film.

Raini won't like this: They are discussing reimaging the X-Files into a trilogy of films, culminating with the Alien Invasion in the third. Probably new leads playing the two FBI agents.

Essentially, Films are not art. They are part of business. If the Studio execs believe that it won't attract new people (IE= people=$'s) they won't make it. Sequels are this way. Any number attached at the end of the film leads people away from it.

Why do you think after the abysmal box office of Friday the 13th Part 8 they dropped the number scheme? Or Saw 7 being Saw 3D? Or, after the horror of Rocky 5, the sixth became "Rocky Balboa" or Rambo 4 being titled simply "Rambo."

Another film I expect to lose the numbering (should it ever be made) is Ghostbusters 3. This one blows my mind. So many people have been asking for this film for YEARS, the property has been hotter since the introduction of the Extreme Ghostbusters back in 1997- T-Shirts have flooded the market, Toys R Us has started carrying new merchandise- but they don't see $'s in the franchise. They gave us the video game- which was great, if you haven't played it- but sent it out broken, and, over a year and half later, still has yet to be fixed.

So, my further views. Razz Not nearly as tangible as my original post- but my brain fried after it all vanished. Ugh.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I would see a reboot of the X-Files is if it's done by Carter. It was his after all. I know he wanted to do more films with Mulder and Scully ending with the 2012 thing, but I dunno if the new movie did well enough for that.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
The only way I would see a reboot of the X-Files is if it's done by Carter. It was his after all. I know he wanted to do more films with Mulder and Scully ending with the 2012 thing, but I dunno if the new movie did well enough for that.

Well, everywhere I read said it did awesome Overseas- so it's theoretically it might be made. Although, knowing how these things work, they'll hand it off to someone they see as having "More capable hands."

They did it to Gene Roddenbery on Star Trek (They wouldn't let him touch Wrath of Khan because of how poorly received the first film was)

Should they do a relaunch, not only would David and Gillian most certainly be replaced, but also Carter and anyone else involved, save for maybe an "Executive Producer" credit or something.

It's sad, really- such a wonderful series never getting the closure it deserves. Too often they do this to the diehards...
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: