TerraEarth Forums

Which series should come to an end?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't often play RPG's anymore, and the one I played the most was FFVIII. In hindsight, the leveling system in that game really does suck since it's all grinding. Well, not so much the leveling... but DRAWING SPELLS GRINDING JUST TO POWER UP YOUR CHARACTER. That got annoying. 100 Ultimas? No problem, only took two hours to get enough. Need some Curagas? Another two hours.

Not to say there wasn't plenty to do- the Card game was alot of fun to play just for S's and G's. I actually wish people played it for real... I'd love to play with people with a custom deck or something. The hiidden boss was another... but did little for you after you beat it.

One of the worst RPGs I've ever played was MS Saga: A New Dawn. The story was horrid, the characters the usual archetypes and little more; an extremely empty love story, the obligitory black guy. The game itself was fun, especially considering it was (sort of) set in the Gundam universe... I got to the "hidden" level when I finally gave up on the game.

You want to talk about franchises that have no end in sight? There have been almost twenty Gundam series that have aired since it's inception in 1979, countless games and side-stories, mangas- you name it, there is too much of it. I love Gundam as much as the next guy, but when you constantly rehash the same old formula, even the diehards get jaded.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard so many people complain about having to draw magic from enemies. you dont even have to do that. you can refine magic from items, and it is a lot quicker. granted you might have to play cards for a bit to get there, but that is a lot more entertaining than just using draw for hours on end.
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
ive heard so many people complain about having to draw magic from enemies. you dont even have to do that. you can refine magic from items, and it is a lot quicker. granted you might have to play cards for a bit to get there, but that is a lot more entertaining than just using draw for hours on end.
Who draws from enemies? I go to the Islands of Heaven and Hell and draw from there. Endless spells on the coast, constantly recharging. Quicker than battling. Plus, if you want anything good from the cards you'd need to refine the hero cards- of which there is only one of each.

For instance, Lagunas card refines to 100 heroes- temporary invincibility per each use. Roughly fifty of them will help you to defeat Ultimate Weapon Hidden Boss... and now in hindsight, most of you probably knew that considering the game is almost 13 years old. ::Smacks forehead::
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, SBF's comment about rehashing the same formula got me thinking of another series guilty of that.

Dynasty Warriors, I choose you.

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
Ah, SBF's comment about rehashing the same formula got me thinking of another series guilty of that.

Dynasty Warriors, I choose you.

I never played a single DW game, until I played DW Gundam, which I loved... probably because it was a new concept to me. Also, I loved DW: Gundam 2 even more- despite the fact it was rated by many places as 2/10, and even worse.

But yes, repetitive gameplay with highly repetitive replay value.
This User Has Completed

Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Kane & Lynch, it's an unmitigated mess even before the series started.
Final Fantasy, every current Nintendo franchise and Sonic.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Guitar Hero just may be done for after all.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
every current Nintendo franchise and Sonic.

If Mario, Zelda, and Kirby games were no longer made, I would sell all my video games and never touch a gaming console again.

WTF am I supposed to play if they leave? Nintendo is the reason I game! For realz!

Also, I would agree with you about Sonic, but Sonic Colors was the best game I played last year (aside from maybe Birth By Sleep). Though the fact that it took them over TEN YEARS to make a decent 3D Sonic game says that, at the very least, someone else needs to take over. (Adventure 2 is one of my favorite games, but it had very obvious flaws)

Also, I'm glad Guitar Hero is dead. About damn time. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, most of the games in the Nintendo franchise is good. It's just that they should put their effort into actually making new games instead of making the same game over and over again and selling glorified content packs at full price. Nintendo should swap the style and formula of some of their franchises for a while. Imagine Mario as a top-down dungeon crawler, or Zelda as a side-scrolling platformer.
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Mario as a top-down dungeon crawler

Mario RPG?

Valerie Valens wrote:
Zelda as a side-scrolling platformer.

Zelda II?

Laughing Joking aside, I'm not terribly okay with that. Mario can do whatever he wants, and to an extent I don't mind experimentation with Kirby either (mostly because Nintendo always uses Kirby as its guinea pig). However, we, as gamers, need our safety nets for gaming. We need to know that Dragon Quest XLVI will play just like Dragon Quest I-IX and be just as good, if not incrementally better. Pokemon is the same.

For series like Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man, and Castlevania, we know what to expect before even buying the game. I know I am not alone in liking this kind of game design. I've been playing games for 20 years, and while I like more games in 2011 than I did in 1991, I still like the SAME games in 2011 that I did in 1991. That's why I love the Nintendo DS and why I continue to buy mostly Japanese games. I don't have to read reviews or demo a game if I know I'm going to like it just because I've played a similar game before.

Sorry for the rant, this is a really touchy subject for me. I like playing the same thing over and over. It's why I game.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is that Nintendo has what is quite possibly the most unpleasable fanbase there is.

If they follow their established formula, they're criticized for not trying anything new. If they change something, they're criticized for messing with a good thing. New IPs generally get left on the shelves, because no one wants to buy them since they're either "gay" or "stupid", despite all the clamoring for new IPs.

That's their dilemma. If they make a Mario game, they're milking the franchise. If they make something other than a Mario platformer, they're overusing the character. If they don't make a Mario game at all, then holy shit.... then they're "abandoning the hardcore audience that got them where they are".... the same audience that complains about every decision.

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
Looks like Guitar Hero just may be done for after all.

This is no surprise. Warriors of Rock (Which I have) is an awful game. They aren't even making new DLC for it! And the last Feburary release is all crap!

Guitar Hero messed up, if you asked me. They took the series in the completely wrong direction. They released a game a year, unlike Rock Band, who waited, and released standalone band games which only featured that bands music... unlike GH, where Van Halen and Aerosmith were half and half. (Half theirs, half other bands music)

This doesn't shock me, because they stuck themselves into this situation. Instead of releasing a game every two years, they oversaturated the marked. Rock Band at least released DLC every week, something different with varying genries- whereas Guitar Hero you were lucky for once a month, and that was a blessing.

The inherent problem with music games is that you can't change the core gameplay- it will always be pressing color buttons and a strum bar to hit notes on the screen. The only thing you can do is add instruments and put better visuals in the background.

Rock Band added a real guitar/bass playing ability into the game, as well as a keyboard. (You do have to buy the new controller, obviously) What was the new Guitar Heros addition? They remembered the slider-bar from the new guitar (In the process making it less useful) and added something even more cool! ~Gasp~ It has a shake sensor, so that way you can build a shake bar commendation in your career profile! Isn't that just AWESOME?
This User Has Completed

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that Miyamoto post so much, lol.

But yes, fanboys are impossible to please, Nintendo or otherwise.

Shiva Indis
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:

Oh, is this an attempt at humor using some form of Asian broken English that only exists in the minds of the ignorant? How...cute. Rolling Eyes The assumption that Nintendo heeds fanboy bitching is a bit funny, though.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiva Indis wrote:

Oh, is this an attempt at humor using some form of Asian broken English that only exists in the minds of the ignorant? How...cute. Rolling Eyes

it's called "satire"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: