TerraEarth Forums

The Cheapest Thing You've Done In Gaming
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 pm   Post subject: The Cheapest Thing You've Done In Gaming Reply with quote

Well, the titled kinda sucks, but I wanted to know what was the lousiest thing you've done to complete a video game?

I'll give you an example:

There were certain sections of the last world of SMB 3 that I could never beat. I remember one level in particular I was so bad at, I'd run through 40 lives and not so much as make a dent in it.

So, I came up with the most logical (and time consuming) idea.

I replayed level 4 over and over, and got the Cloud object. I filled all three of my inventory boxes with just the clouds. (I remember this taking a couple of hours)

And then, I proceeded to skip over EVERY LEVEL in the last world- and used up all the clouds until the final castle which, if I died, I would have to start over from where I used the first cloud- back at the beginning of the world.

I'll admit it, it was lazy. Anyone else done something like this in gaming?
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a cheater in all single player games. and in world of warcraft, I used exploits and even hacks when it was in its early stages Very Happy
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't even play all the levels of SMB3 until 2009. I always just Warp Whistle'd myself to World 8.

I used to use the Cape on some of the harder stages of SMW, bypassing the levels entirely.

After getting to Shadow Link in Zelda II after having beaten that entire game and maxing out my stats, I just crouched in the corner and mashed on the Attack button, rather than actually fighting him legitimately. If I were to die, I'd have to start at the beginning of the dungeon, which wasn't bad, but dammit, I just wanted to finish that game!

There's a spot you can sit and rapid-fire during the final boss of Super Mario Land and win without getting hit. Ever. I do it every time.

I don't always fight undead bosses in Final Fantasy, but when I do, I prefer Dos-Pheonix Down.

On the Amazon level of DuckTales, there is a statue that requires $3,000,000 or something for you to pass through. But if you back out of the room and bring in an enemy, you can jump off his head and reach the upper area without having to pay.

The first time I played the NES Metroid, I couldn't beat it. JUSTIN BAILEY makes the game easier, but NARPASSWORD0000000000000 makes you invincible, gives you infinite ammunition, and unlocks every ability from the get go. I beat the game pretty quick after that. ^-^

The first time I beat Mortal Kombat, I used Scorpion. The only attack I used was Grapple+Uppercut, which worked on every opponent except Goro.

Banjo-Kazooie was a challenging game, but the hardest part for me was Gruntilda, the final boss. In the end, I used the Cheat Mode to give myself infinite Gold Feathers (Invincibility) so I could finally beat the game.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remeber anything particular, but I did use some exploits in some games...

Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to cheat so badly in the original smash bros... i'd always run away from the opponent or trap them in a corner cause i didn't like losing :p it would hurt this child's ego every time XD
Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Smash Bros.: me + Pikachu + Thunderabuse = instantwin on skyopen maps in SSBB

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

id always do the frappe snowland cheat in mariokart 64.

also, pokemon blue: mew glitch.

pokemon gen4: FEAR. hilarious

super metroid: i cant remember the last time i fought sporespawn in that. mockball right past his area.

super mario (any): so many warps...

mortal kombat: subzero. freeze and uppercut. works on everyone. even goro.
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
Speaking of Smash Bros.: me + Pikachu + Thunderabuse = instantwin on skyopen maps in SSBB

C-Stick is your best friend with Pikachu. Down+C takes priority over nearly every other move in the game. My friends really, REALLY hate my Brawl Pikachu.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to cheat on the snes Lion King when I was a kid to get past a level I could never beat.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember those old Nintendo hotlines from back in the day, predating the wide-spread use of the internet?

I called them once to figure out how to beat the first level of the second quest of the original Zelda. I never thought there would be invisible walk-through walls.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot that I did the dupe trick on original Pokemon Blue for Mew. I also caught Missingno on that cart, for what it's worth.

@SBiF: I remember those. Never used it, but I remember seeing those ads in the back of the instruction manuals.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Sgt.Pepper1983
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 323

PostSgt.Pepper1983 Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In Zelda 1 I always save up for the blue ring and get the white sword before completing any of the dungeons. Until recently I always entered my name as "Help Me" in Castlevania 3. I can do a no death run now. If I had figured out how to do it properly I would have used the 9 lives code in Captain Skyhawk. I always skip world 7 in Mario 3. I've only beat it once and never want to put myself through that again. In Megaman X I used to get all the upgrades before beating any of the levels. In Megaman X4 I used the code for X's ultimate armor. In Space Invaders I always hold down reset while turning the system on. In Zelda 2 I usually get the life spell before beating any of the dungeons. Before my second controller broke I used the warp code in Crystalis to get items before I was supposed to. I used the level up code in Ys 3. I always use the continue cheats in whatever sms games allow them, games like Afterburner and Golden Axe. I sometimes use rapid punch in my gba version of Final Fight. In Retro Game Challenge there are quite a few cheats I use, like the code that makes the car invincible and gets rid of all the other cars on the track in both of the racing games. I use the Invincibility code in the second shooter in the game. I use the infinite time code in the second platformer in the game. I use the warp code in the first shooter in the game. And I use the cheat that allows you to say you beat the rpg without actually having to beat it.

Last edited by Sgt.Pepper1983 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
NoZKeY
Sent by The Master

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
I had to cheat on the snes Lion King when I was a kid to get past a level I could never beat.

The B A R R Y code? Very Happy
Sadly i never knew about that code until some years ago... but i managed to complete the game on the console as a kid Smile !!1 wee

I remember doing some cheap things in Super Mario World... long time ago...

Remember a level from the special world called "outrageous" ? Well... that hard one with the jumping flames.. i could never beat that level without using a feather and flying all the way until the end.. ^^U

I did the same thing with the last special level, 'Funky'.. if i'm right, that was the LONGEST level in the game... x_x and i was too lazy to complete it without flying.

And i have never completed every level in SMB 3, always use Warps ^^U, this is the first time i think about it.. i should try to beat every level someday..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:

Oh, god, I had forgotten about Lion King. I NEVER EVER beat that game legit. I could never get past "Be Prepared", nor could I get the hang of the tackle/flip thing Adult Simba did.

Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

- Final boss of Tales of Phantasia I used a glitch to get into a spot where you became un-hitable

- FFVI, used a glitch that allowed you to instant kill most bosses

- Changing handicaps in fighting games against friends when they where not looking

- using Sonic is SSBB

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: