TerraEarth Forums

Why the price tag?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelian-Yue
Level 2: Whisp

Gems 44

PostAurelian-Yue Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:41 am   Post subject: Why the price tag? Reply with quote

Umm.. I know this has probably been brought up before, but I haven't seen it and since thinking about it I have to ask. Why is Terrangima worth so much?

I know the whole as things get older/rarer prices go up. But I also know I payed the same amount for an almost mint copy of FFVII as what people charge for just the Terranigma cartridge.

I'm not saying that it's not worth it (It's still after so many years my favourite game and if I had the money I'd buy a complete case off the bat). However the facts remain; It wasn't successful, it isn't exactly mr.popularity to this day, it's even the runt of it's own "series" when it comes to recognition, and it's on a consol that has been out of production for many years now.

Games that fit that criteria are normally found in the bottom of the $5 bargin bin in my experiance, but not Terranigma. I'm just wondering if anyone can share some insite.

Sorry for the long post. Blah Blah
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Successful and popular doesn't always translate to expensive.

The game itself is hard to find as it is. The fact that it was only released in PAL form makes it even more so. Finding a complete package (game, original box, etc.) only increases the price further, since that's even more scarce. And since it is fairly old at this time, finding a cartridge, along with the means to play it, is no small task.

At this point, it's more of a collector's item to people outside PAL territories than something you'd just pick up to play on a whim.

Aurelian-Yue

Gems 44

PostAurelian-Yue Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true... It's just odd to me as I wouldn't think it had the supply vs. demand issues of other old titles. But then... some people pay alot for stranger things.. why not such an amazing game? Very Happy

I guess living in Australia and having owned it once I have no concept of what it'd be like trying to get it in a country where it was never released.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

australian as well? cool.

WE ARE TAKING OVER SLOWLY BUT SURELY

and i think because it has near religious status among the few who do know the game. not kidding, everyone i know who has played it absolutely loves it.

Gems 44

PostAurelian-Yue Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We will rule all! Evil or Very Mad

But I never thought of that... I have introduced a number of people to the game and you're right, most love it. The few people I met that don't like it couldn't get past the blue door without detailed step by step instructions... Confused
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

we are talking about Terranigma, there's nothing like an expensive price for this!

Gems 44

PostAurelian-Yue Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your avatar Light from Death Note?

TV set = $500
SNES = $100
Terranigma = Priceless
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Aussie! welcome! Are you from the fabled city of Adelaide like ever and myself? Laughing

The reason for the price is due to a few factors already stated. The first and foremost factor is that its so dam good.

Awesome game + Limited English Release + JRPG + Snes + Age = Expensive

I work in a Gametraders, so we get rarer games quiet frequently, Terranigma sells for $150 within a week every time we get it, a boxed one for sells for $250+. It is easily in our top 10 highest priced retro items (the highest being a sealed Zelda 1 on Nes for $500, which we sold)

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Aurelian-Yue

Gems 44

PostAurelian-Yue Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm a Brisbanite, sorry to dissappoint...

However Gametraders is my favourite store.... I love retro games which sometimes get hard to find, but they always seem to pop up there. Like Terranigma. Saw a copy JUUUUST after buying another game so of course I had no money =3=; and the guy behind the counter was like "huh?" when I pointed it out Rolling Eyes

Edit: Huh, now I have even more ammo to fire at mother dearest when I see her next for giving my copy away. Of course she'll just roll her eyes. Very Happy
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a copy for free. A friend loaned it to me a year ago and never asked for it back.

HOWEVER, since I'm in the US and its a PAL cartridge, I can't use it. So, damn.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get the money, I intend to purchase a copy for collectors value. I remember trying to nail a copy of the original Final Fantasy for about thirty bucks over ebay... I ended up finding one for ten bucks just two years later.

It comes down to the individual and what its worth to that person.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Aurelian-Yue

Gems 44

PostAurelian-Yue Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my fathers SNES and his collection of games, all bought new with the cases, booklets, etc and in good condition, Terranigma among them. During a move mum descided to give them away to the op-shop without asking me. I wasn't happy. Evil or Very Mad

Since then I have managed to find a SNES with it's case at (another) op-shop for $20, it was just missing it's av cabel (easily replaced for another $10). So yeah, it is amazing what you can find when you care to look. I would have paid the $100 odd from a specialty store but... I just happened to find that and couldn't pass it up.

@SoulBlazerFan you managed to find a copy of FFI? Eek!
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelian-Yue wrote:

That game isn't very rare. In the 3+ years I've worked at a used game store, I've seen easily 20 copies come in, 2 of them with the book and box.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
australian as well? cool.

WE ARE TAKING OVER SLOWLY BUT SURELY

I read that as 'WE ARE TALKING SLOWLY BUT SURELY" Laughing Laughing

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Aurelian-Yue wrote:

That game isn't very rare. In the 3+ years I've worked at a used game store, I've seen easily 20 copies come in, 2 of them with the book and box.

There was a time when it wasn't as readily available- IE: when it wasn't remade half a dozen times.

But yes, I've seen it more often now... alot of collectors are dumping their collections in this harsh economic climate.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: