TerraEarth Forums

Gaming isn't immature, dood.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:00 pm   Post subject: Gaming isn't immature, dood. Reply with quote

You all know the feeling. Old people looking down at you for playing video games. It sucks, right?

I was having a conversation with the family of my girlfriend (or well, I was listening to it 'cause I never say much XD), and the subject was about gaming. Some person, whom my girlfriend's parents thought of as mature, was said to be a gamer. "Huh? But I thought she was like an adult.. But she's just playing games??"

Some minutes later, I got to know that I probably shouldn't raise any kids. It was Christmas vacation, and they asked what I was doing during the days.

Me: "Well, playing some games and stuff."
"Only that??"
Me: "Yeah, I don't mind playing games the whole day Very Happy"

Then later, the subject was about kids and violent games. I said that I'd probably play games with my kids (whenever I get some).

"I don't think you should. You don't know how to limit yourself."
Me: "What the hell are you talking about?"
"You play games the whole day, it's not like you would be a good example for a kid."

I really, REALLY don't see the connection between spending time on your hobby and not being a good parent. Do you? 0.0

I'm just ranting. This is a gaming community and you'll most likely agree with me that it's total bullcrap by default. Very Happy I guess this is what they call "Monster in law"...
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, every gamer I know who is also a parent (Just one) cheats on his wife, hits on anything with two legs, and yells at his kids during hours long sessions of Black Ops.

Oh yeah, I'm sure gamers can be responsible parents, too. Very Happy

All joking aside, you have to realize the difference between "hobby" and "obsession." If you need to game everyday, that's obsession. If you can go longterm without needing to play, of course that's a hobby. You have to realize when gaming is interfering with any personal responsibilities.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. If you know to break up time to spend with friends/family/significant others, it shouldn't matter what you do in your spare time. I used to play video games with my dad when I was little, and it's a good activity to dowith your kids/friends/family/significant other (Mazeura on this forum is a good example: we'll play WoW together when we get the chance to do so and it's awesome. I have two friends who, when we hang out, we'll play video games, talk, eat snacks, and hang out.)

However, if you're focusing all your time and money on nothing BUT video games (like some WoW addicts do, and I'm talking out the people who will marathon the game for 32 hours, realize they haven't slept since Tuesday and it's now Thursday what are friends and what are girls) really are a problem. When people like that get together and have kids, I feel bad for the kid: mainly because they're neglected for an online game. Not all cases are like that, of course, but it happens. I don't think your gf's parents understand the divide between "I do this as a hobby and I'm fine with my off days being filled with what I like to do with time for other things I like" and "this game is my LIFE and no one's tearing me away from this no matter if I get no sleep for a week! OH SHIT THERE ARE MANY WHELPS! YOU ASSHOLES ON VENT WITH ME! HANDLE IT!"

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"You play games the whole day, it's not like you would be a good example for a kid."

^ In this case, they make a fair point.

If you have a child, gaming all day shouldn't be a priority. Of course, you can play some games with your kid(s) when they're old enough to do so, but even then, you shouldn't be doing so all day. It's a fun hobby, but it would be better to encourage a range of hobbies.

Though they are mistaken about the link between gaming and immaturity. I'm 26, play games somewhat often (though not nearly as much as I used to), but I don't think that makes me any less 'adult'. I do so when I have a little leisure time, but there are several things that take priority.

The phrase 'all work and no play' seems lost on them. Meh/Worried

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My response in that situation would have been, "When I am home from work, I have every right to spend that time relaxing in whatever manner I see fit."

Also, just because you spend your free-time gaming, does not mean that it would be on your priority scale if, say, you were raising a child. I've talked to people who believe that gaming is a waste of time, and I've always been able to convince them otherwise. It's all about being able to be mature and confident about your hobby, really. If you are able to defend yourself intellectually and calmly, only the dumbest of the heap will refuse to hear you out.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

my mum seems to think that because i play videogames, im too immature for anything. it really does irritate me sometimes.

as tay said: people have the right to do what they want to relax. if it involves gaming, then whatever.

as sbf and raini said: if it is a HOBBY then what's wrong with it? itd be like saying someone who enjoys a scotch or a glass of wine in the evening to relax is an alcoholic.

and as much as there isnt anything wrong with spending all day gaming (when theres nothing else to do), if it gets to the point where you choose that over other activities like ... raising a child, thats when you should start to worry.
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, i'm not what you would call a "hardcore gamer" ... I only play them occasionally on downtime.

I enjoy collecting them, though.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think computer gaming is immature. If you're doing it out of retro reasons, e.g. playing Terranigma on the SNES, it's mature. I'd find it ridicolous seeing my parents play computer games Very Happy maybe this will change with our generation becomming parents... today, gaming adults is a underclass phenomenom only.

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
I think computer gaming is immature. If you're doing it out of retro reasons, e.g. playing Terranigma on the SNES, it's mature. I'd find it ridicolous seeing my parents play computer games Very Happy maybe this will change with our generation becomming parents... today, gaming adults is a underclass phenomenom only.

i think it again comes down to how much and for what reason you play
Shameless Pirate

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons of good arguments!

@SoulBlazerFan,
Totally. Gaming is what I do when I really don't have anything better to do, and in vacation I don't have that much to do. I see those people long enough at the dinner table...

@Raini,
I agree. My girlfriend always comes before gaming. I'd be a sucker if she wouldn't. She likes games too, though, and we often play games together. Smile And when hanging out with friends, games are great too Very Happy I hardly spend any money on games, I download most of them Cool Guy

@EverPhoenix,
Well of course. Even though I don't mind spending a day mainly on gaming, it's not like I wouldn't be able to stop if something came up, even more so if I'd be a parent. My dad plays games too, although to a smaller extent, but I've never thought of it as immature.

@Tay,
My response on it was something like "I really don't see the connection between spending time on your hobby in the vacation and bad parenting skills." The problem with my parents in law is that they are, in fact, the dumbest in the heap.

@EverPhoenix again XD,
My mum thinks so too, when I was younger, we had the rule of only one hour of games per day. Then I grew taller than her.
And I totally agree. Some people like to play games, other people don't. It doesn't make either hobby better or worse. My father in law plays guitar, and if I were to have his attitude, I could say something like "Music is childish, you just make silly noises".

@Miss Prime Blue,
I'm not a hardcore gamer either. It's a hobby Very Happy
I do admit that I've been addicted to several MMORPGS, but that was before I had a girlfriend and, in general, a life Razz

@Psychokind,
I disagree. No matter how old you are and what kind of game you play, as long as you enjoy it, why would it be immature? My dad enjoys playing Yoshi's Island for SNES, and so do I. Although that is for "retro reasons", I wouldn't think any less of him if he was playing the XBOX.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazermint wrote:

@Psychokind,
I disagree. No matter how old you are and what kind of game you play, as long as you enjoy it, why would it be immature?

because parents go to the theatre, the opera or make music or do something socio-cultural. and the children play computer games Smile
Shameless Pirate

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Fazermint wrote:

@Psychokind,
I disagree. No matter how old you are and what kind of game you play, as long as you enjoy it, why would it be immature?

because parents go to the theatre, the opera or make music or do something socio-cultural. and the children play computer games Smile

That's pretty old fashioned Eek!
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazermint wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Fazermint wrote:

@Psychokind,

That's pretty old fashioned Eek!

that's why they're parents. I get the chills thinking of my mother asking "hey son, you need a second player for street fighter 2?" or "eat up quick son, we're raiding blackwing descent today, and hell yeah there will be epics up for me!".
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychokind, your head would explode if you had my parents. My dad practically taught me how to play Zelda, though he spends most of his time on Warcraft 3 now, and back in high school my mom would pour a glass of wine and watch me play Grand Theft Auto. Currently, we're watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood together. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my dad used to game together... back in the days of N64 SNES and NES... I even remember taking turns with my mom playing Festers Quest. My dad ended up getting severe motion sickness, and my mom found God.

I already made my point, but I do disagree with anyone who'll knock gaming for making people immature. It's a medium of entertainment, like movies. In fact, if I remember correctly, gaming actually made more money last year than the entire film box office gross.

Let me ask you; would you rather drop 10, 12, 14 bucks on a hour and a half experience, or 60 or less for a 40 hour experience that can be relived again and again?
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: