TerraEarth Forums

What would you rather see?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> TerraEarth Fanworks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I want to see:
FULL ON COMIC!
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Light novel style sounds interesting!
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Keep it text only, plox.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:35 am   Post subject: What would you rather see? Reply with quote

As my crafting of stories as backstory in the History section grows (as does language crafting and idea flow), I've been trying to figure out how to actually TELL the story I've had in mind for a while (yes, when I can figure out a really awesome story for the visual novel that will actually surprise everyone, it'll be done. I still have the software, promise!), which includes actual comic, light novel style, and text only with MAYBE drawn chapter markers.

Now, the pros and cons of each:
Comic style: -pros- I get to not only design all of my minions (which is already a topic if you wanna get in on it for the visual novel!), but it'll help with my drawing/digital colouring skills. Plus, all of the awesome stuff I see in my head can be shown to you too! There's also some language-speaking (as in, different languages!) that would only work in comic form because I can write that shit in. Ohhhhh yeahhhhh.

-cons- It would be slightly slow to update (to be fair, though, I would try to keep a backlog so it wouldn't be "OH SHIT I HAVE TO HAVE A PAGE DONE IN 3 HOURS TRDSFATDYSUA" all the time) because I do work. It also wouldn't be in all colour all the time, but I'd try to at least have some minor colour into it. There'd also be the loss of a "I want my own imagination to render this scene!" to some degree.

Light Novel style: For those who don't know what a light novel is, let me explain. A light novel is text-and-occasional picture to accompany the story. So, the text "So-and-so encountered a monster while traveling. The fight took some time, but So-and-so was victorious, and saved the townspeople from the dragon." would have a picture with it depicting either So-and-so fighting the monster or So-and-so returning to the townspeople with the dragon's head. They would be scattered without, and probably half and half, if you will.

-pros- I'd still be able to work on my skillz, and I'm cool with that. It would be a lighter workload as well, though I'd want to get a backlog started, as with the comic. There'd be a lot of room for your own mind to render a scene as well!

-cons- Lots and lots and lots of text. Pictures would be black and white, and only depict one thing while a lot of things are happening, instead of like a superhero comic where EVERYTHING is shown.

Text only: -pros- There'd only be a wait for chapter updates if I'm behind in chapter markers in picture. Quicker updates and everything can be seen in your imagination.

-cons- LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF TEXT. I know text can blur together sometimes if it's particularly long, and this is going to be a pretty lengthy story.

Personally, I'd want a comic format, but that's just me. Very Happy I have alternate character art to make for everyone as well with this option, and that's what I'm looking forward to. BUT, I'm really not doing this for myself, it's for you guys, soooo it's up to you. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Light novel is the best of both worlds. Your artistic talent is amazing but you're certainly no slouch at writing either. A light novel would allow you to focus your best energy into both art and writing without skimping on either. In a comic, you would be tempted to take artistic shortcuts for the sake of a deadline. With a light novel, you can really go all out on the pictures you do and make the final product that much more rewarding.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

id like the full on comic, but i like pictures. that and you can still convey a full story in a comic, so its not like your writing skills go to waste
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Light novel is the best of both worlds. Your artistic talent is amazing but you're certainly no slouch at writing either. A light novel would allow you to focus your best energy into both art and writing without skimping on either. In a comic, you would be tempted to take artistic shortcuts for the sake of a deadline. With a light novel, you can really go all out on the pictures you do and make the final product that much more rewarding.

Laughing well, I'm already kinda taking that route with wanting to do light colourings on pictures (like in the picture on this blog post), but that's so it's not too boring but not too extravagant except for certain things/parts, if I so wish. Plus I like pastel colours a LOT.

@ep duly noted. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

While a full on comic would be great, a more realistic approach would be the light novel. I've always been interested in doing such a thing (Story with the occasional picture to break the writing) but seeing as I'm nothing short of pathetic when it comes to drawing, I'm stuck in that respect.

I say, do whatever you feel is best suited to the time constraints you have. If you can do a full on comic, then great. If you can't, then the light novel would be awesome, too.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd prefer a light novel. I have no problem with a lot of text; that's why they invented paragraphs. Cool Guy

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a comic would be awesome.

Really, its not like you would have to put a great deal of energy into making a whole lot of panels. I don't think that any of us would mind the occasional panel accompanied with WALL OF TEXT.

What style of comic would you use if you did one?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
I think a comic would be awesome.

Really, its not like you would have to put a great deal of energy into making a whole lot of panels. I don't think that any of us would mind the occasional panel accompanied with WALL OF TEXT.

What style of comic would you use if you did one?

Very much manga-style. So it wouldn't be like 50 panels on one page, just like 4-5 or something, or more.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a good idea. between the panels you could even put notes on what is happening, or other non-dialog descriptions you cant/cant be bothered drawing.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
that sounds like a good idea. between the panels you could even put notes on what is happening, or other non-dialog descriptions you cant/cant be bothered drawing.

Precisely. Very Happy Battle scenes would be a little more in depth, but it wouldn't be crammed on to the page. I'd try to at least have 1-2 pages up every week or so, or alternate it so it'd be one page one week, and then two pages to cover the next two weeks or something. So like... two pages one week, the next week nothing, the next week after that one page, one n=page next week, two pages the next, and none the week after.

Or rather: 2/0/1/2/0/1/2/0 and so on. That would probably make the work load a lot easier.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you find someone to draw for you, i would suggest keeping it text only. This site should prove to be a nice publishing platform.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Unless you find someone to draw for you, i would suggest keeping it text only. This site should prove to be a nice publishing platform.

I can't tell if that was a passive-agressive "don't draw because your art is crap" or what o.O

Either way, if I don't practice, I won't get any better. Comic for TE = more practice. And if I were to keep it text-only, it would be on TE and not anywhere else.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:

Excuse me, say-wha-bitch?

You can draw. You're good. Fantastic. That doesn't mean anybody who's not you suck.

Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not to put you down or anything, I am saying that you're a fantastic writer and that it will show through more in that avenue.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty simple viewpoint. I mean you kick ass at drawing and music, and you recently did an art piece and musical piece which compliment each other quite well.

Raini's artistic and writing talent is amazing and I think she can demonstrate both just fine. And since she's making it about TE I daresay it'd turn out even better than an unrelated project since she sinks her soul into this forums.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> TerraEarth Fanworks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: