TerraEarth Forums

US Government: Why Such Liars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 pm   Post subject: US Government: Why Such Liars? Reply with quote

I remember a long time ago we had debate started here about the supposed "911 Conspiracy." At that time, my stance was, and still is, I'm not entirely sure if it was an inside job, but there were questioned that needed asking.

With the recent (And by recent, and mean last year or two) of the Wikileaks information, from Hilary Clinton having spies work within the UN (Yes, this was in there) to the murders of innocent civilians because a camera looked like an "RPG," I now have more questions than answers.

The US government has continually lied to their citizens about alot of things. I'm going to present two incidents that the government lied about and, while several years old, still leave lingering questions as to "why? Why would they lie to us?" The answer: to support a war that, a decade later, still isn't over. Because a war on terror will never end; there is always another tyrannical dictator to take their place.

Patrick Tillman, all star linebacker for the Cardinals, enlisted into the military, leaving potentially millions in contracts and endorsement deals, to enlist in the armed services, to defend his country after the September 11th attacks. The man left money to do what few others have the fortitude- to fight for his land and country, to defend the principles of the American way of life.

So, when the news was released on April 22nd, 2004 that he had been killed in the line of duty, it was a real tragedy. A man in the prime of his life- who walked away from fame and glory for a uniform and honor- had been killed by enemy forces, dying a war hero. This was supposed to get people behind the war- the American people need these tragic news stories to keep their hearts and minds behind the government for the war. But, it turns it out, Pat Tillmans death was turned into a propoganda piece.

When the truth came out that he didn't die from enemy forces- in fact, he died from friendly fire- the US war machine was called into question. How could this happen? How could a man be killed by his own commrades? They say it was during a heated firefight, an accident. If they lied to us about this initially, how do we know that what they said second was true? The military has covered for its soldiers before, why not now?

The second piece, and alot you might remember this, was Jessica Lynch. She had joined the military with a friend, and they both served in the same squad. So, when this beautiful, blonde haired, blue eyed all American girl went MIA, the stories came out her and her Squad went down in a blaze of glory, fighting off the enemy with their dying breathes. It must have been shock to the military PR machine when Lynch became the first US POW successfully rescued since World War II.

When she recovered from her injuries, she found out that not only had they embellished her actions- turning her into a Rambo-esque hero of the Iraq war- they straight out lied about the whole thing.

She had written a book, detailing the exact events of the day she was captured. In short, her convoy got lost in the desert. They were ambushed. Jessica, who the media had presented as some war hero, killing as many enemies before she fell, in truth her gun, along with several of her team- he become lodged with sand, and become useless. In her own words on Aftermath With William Shatner, "I never fired a round." Her entire team, including her friend, had been killed by the enemy. For whatever reason, she was allowed to live, and was in a Iraq POW medical camp, until she was rescued almost two weeks later.

I know many of you may know more than this, but it's proof the government is willing to lie to its people, keep us in the dark, about the truth of their actions. Like I said, there are more questions than given answers. So I ask, "Why lie about it? Is it really worth the risk of the damage to your PR to just tell the truth for once?"

Anyone else who would like to share, or criticize, please do.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The second I heard about the 911 conspiracy, I immediately believed it. George Bush was a mountain whale dick. Obama's doing a good job, though. (I think 0.0)
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to anybody here who believes in the conspiracy theory, I know there are several, but it's total crap with not a shred of reasonable evidence. Everything I've seen has been easily explained away by physics, logic or common sense.

Do I believe the US Government is totally innocent? HELL NO.

But frankly I challenge anybody to name a government that doesn't actively lie to its people. I know the government is corrupt, but that's the way it will always be.

To Obama supporters, I offer this line from The Who: "meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

I love my country, and I support the essence of the government in that democracy and capitalism are the best system we have available to us (for this country, mind you, i realize other countries have systems that work well for them). But I don't have to like the people in charge.

And as for Obama. I don't really have a strong opinion of him for good or ill. He's done some stuff I think is great and some stuff I think is idiotic. I'll have to see what comes of his policies. No president is truly appreciated in their own time. I can't believe I;m saying this, but I miss Clinton. Yeah he was a horndog, but the son of a bitch was a great statesman.

And for 2012, my vote goes to Mitt Romney. Not because he's a Mormon, because he was a CEO and thinks like a CEO, not like a politician. Seriously, wikipedia him. Everything he touches turrns to gold. And he created the basis for a couple of Obama's policies.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The government lies to its people for the same reason a child does; they're selfish, and a lie is the best way to get what they want.

Like a child, they don't plan on getting caught. They're only focused on the benefits that come from the lie. But also like a child, they don't seem to realize that eventually, they will be caught.

Though as far as 9/11 conspiracies go, I still don't believe it happened because "the government has lied before". Lying about what's going on in the war to make your soldiers sound heroic is one thing, meant to stir up patriotism. But even a government full of idiots would realize that killing thousands of your own people would be found out some time, and riots would follow.

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
The government lies to its people for the same reason a child does; they're selfish, and a lie is the best way to get what they want.

Like a child, they don't plan on getting caught. They're only focused on the benefits that come from the lie. But also like a child, they don't seem to realize that eventually, they will be caught.

Though as far as 9/11 conspiracies go, I still don't believe it happened because "the government has lied before". Lying about what's going on in the war to make your soldiers sound heroic is one thing, meant to stir up patriotism. But even a government full of idiots would realize that killing thousands of your own people would be found out some time, and riots would follow.

Interestingly enough, a year or so ago I was introduced to a website that discussed the 911 conspiracy. (For the life of me now, I can't find it anymore) And, like I said, I don't directly believe in it, but I believe there was lies about the truth. The site had a pretty interesting document from the 50's, from a US General, who had a plan to initiate a "Fake attack" on US soil to start up a real war in the midst of the Cold War.

Not really proof of anything, but an interesting note on what some people were willing to do for their part in the war effort.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, the US govenment has a long history of being lying pieces of shit. You can vote for either Democrat or Republican, the result is the same. You, the proletariat, will get shat on, be it with donkey shit or elephant shit.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Eh, the US govenment has a long history of being lying pieces of shit. You can vote for either Democrat or Republican, the result is the same. You, the proletariat, will get shat on, be it with donkey shit or elephant shit.

Or get tea-bagged. Laughing

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Valerie Valens wrote:

Or get tea-bagged. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAO. Tay just won the thread guys.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

the CIA and FBI and so on just suck too much ass as a authority. they couldn't pull that of. but I bet we didn't get to know everything, since it's entirely common these days for the democrats to rule the people, not vice versa.
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the US goverment is stuck up it's own arsehole, that's why.

They think they're making us look better by lying, but in reality the opposite is true.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: