TerraEarth Forums

Zombie Apocalypse- What Would You Carry?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:46 am   Post subject: Zombie Apocalypse- What Would You Carry? Reply with quote

Okay so I've been watching the walking dead lately. I also run the Zombie Holocaust Game.

And I got to thinking.

If there was an actual zombie holocaust, what would you carry with you? There's no list to pick from here, it's anything you can think of. There are only a few stipulations.

1. It has to all be able to fit in one backpack, knapsack or duffle bag and you have to include ammunition for weapons in your calculations. Also you can include which you can carry on your person, such as canteens and weapons.

2. Also try to keep it realistic, like based on stuff you can easily acquire. No "antivenom for the Z Virus" or "high powered nuclear device".

3. And don't include

Here's what I'd get:

==

9mm Pistol (200 rounds)- 9mm are a good balance of stopping power and controllability. I can accurately fire a .22 but the stopping power is shit. And a .45 has too much recoil for my level of skill. Plus the ammo is relatively easily obtained and comes in boxes of 25.

Bow (25 arrows)- A silent option with retrievable ammo, and I'm actually not that bad an archer.

Machete- Lighter than the popular fireman's axe, but easier to maneuver. The all-important ammo-free melee weapon.

==

Lantern (20 batteries)- Better than flashlights, in my humble opinion.

Rope (100 feet)- Multi-purpose.

Laptop Computer- Yeah, I'd take my laptop and powercord on the off chance we find a place where the power still works. It could serve a purpose.

Cell Phone- Ditto.

HAM Radio- Most common method of amateur and emergency communications.

Electronic Alarm- There's these little magnetic devices that make a high pitched whine every so often. You can buy them online or at novelty stores. I'd carry a couple in case I needed a diversion.

Toolkit- A full one, for obvious reasons.

First Aid Kit- Just a basic one, bandages and splints.

===

That's about all my space.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

depends if you travel alone or in a small resp. big group.

but i'd say:

basic stuff (like cell phone, wallet with money and plastic cards, keys)

a katana (i never shot a gun and i'd probably have a very bad aim. also, i know how to handle a katana)

food rations + water

flashlight + batteries

a small blanket (always comes in handy. not only for keeping you cozy in the nights but it also protects your skin when breaking fragile objects like glass. to get into a car or a window or something).

jup. thats it for now.

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

- walther p8 (common gun used by german military and police = much ammo to be found)
- aluminium baseball bat
- flint
- survival knife (I own one already!)
- painkillers (especially for pulling out teeth) & bandages & beginners medicine guide
- soap, toothbrush, toothpaste (vital!), lots of chlorine tablets for clean water, towel
- one of these extremely expensive all-weather jackets & trousers, good athletic shoes
- military water "bottle", cooker & cooking tablets
- portable mini-tent
- Tri-Fold Shovel/axe/saw combi
- needle & thread
- bedroll

altogether a little less than the stuff I carried while in the army. should be around 15 kg, that's not too much.
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing. I'm going to be the zombie who stats the zombie apocalypse. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
PaGaN3l3m3nts
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 1,022

PostPaGaN3l3m3nts Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

M16, possibly a 9mm as well.
Combat knife, and Gerber multi-tool.
Of course a flashlight with spare bulb.
Micro-fleece blanket.
A small notebook and 2 pencils.
Basic first-aid kit.
Water, food, ammo, and batteries are, of course, always collected and harvested, in that order of importance.
Cell phone and wallet, so long as there's still any hope that society might recover.
Ideally, a camelback or water, I suppose. Probably canteens and bottles as well.

Clothing would all be thick.
Thick jeans, heavy long-sleeved shirt, weather-resistant jacket with hood.
Be prepped for winter, and the thicker the better against bites.
I can always just strip down somewhat for the summer.

That's really it. Bare minimums for what I consider survival - save as much room as possible for consumables.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A suit of armour. Try and infect me now, zombie scum.

Haaa.... I ignored the rules. Cool Guy

Anyway, I'll think of something when I have some more time.

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't carry much of anything, save for a "hunting knife," (Which are actually more like swords) two of which I own (Which I got from my crazy gun-obsessed step-grandfather in Kentucky- at some point used to decapitate deer or something). The have sheaths with shoulder straps, and I could easily carry them on my person.
I wouldn't carry guns- there would come a point where guns would essentially become useless, since bullet rations in Jersey aren't infinite. In fact, I can't think of a single place I could even get a gun from. If anything, I'd carry road flares and flare gun, in the event I'd have to get the attention of rescue personel...
Probably my old water canteen from scouts... alot of other stuff would weigh you down on the move, especially if you're in a jam against zombies. We could say what we would carry, but any more than twenty pounds of additional weight wouldn't be realistic, unless you have previous military training.

Jason: I don't think a cellphone would do much good. At some point, if a Class 4 zombie outbreak occurs (According to the Survival Guide), chances are the cellphone wouldn't do much good on the long term, lest you find someone who could get the power back on, and get the cell tower running again. The laptops not a bad idea, but protection would be a good idea, in the event you need to drop the bag at some point.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
In fact, I can't think of a single place I could even get a gun from.

police stations and military bases always have a lot in store. that's why these weapons are the best to use, for their wide spread of ammo all over the country. if you have knowledge about calibers, you can also get other weapons using standard caliber. I'd stick with army/police weapons anyway, they are made for practical use and to be easy to disassemble and clean. and it's quite difficult if you've never done it before - given that you have at least READ sth about your weapon (military often has handouts somewhere near their weapons).
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 3,051

PostMetall Ark (XD®) Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I will carry only my power of darkness and destroy all the Zombies by my power.

Now serious,

I would take some pistol and ammo for it. Of course First aid things and ......

food, fresh drinks, water and some books to burn them.

Just kidding.

´cause I am the darkness I will just kill them all even if they are allready dead!

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:

police stations and military bases always have a lot in store. that's why these weapons are the best to use, for their wide spread of ammo all over the country. if you have knowledge about calibers, you can also get other weapons using standard caliber. I'd stick with army/police weapons anyway, they are made for practical use and to be easy to disassemble and clean. and it's quite difficult if you've never done it before - given that you have at least READ sth about your weapon (military often has handouts somewhere near their weapons).

You're assuming the best case scenario where everyone before you didn't think to get there and remove weapons, and the fact that you could actually get there, alive, to get the weapons. Good idea, but not entirely realistic. You'd have to have prior knowledge of the layout to get to where weapons may be held, and hope beyond hope their there when you get there. The military base is unrealistic, likely all weapons would be locked up somwhere completely unavailable to you.

The weapons would likely be given to military personel, anyway, who would use them to fight off the infection. If you did get there without dying, and there were people alive in the base, you'd probably end up like the lead guy from 28 Days Later had the military guys plans worked out... or the last guy from the original Night of the Living Dead.

Police station would definitely be the more realistic choice. Their weapons wouldn't be nearly as scrutinized or controlled. But likely, any survivor would also have considered this and gotten weapons they might need. You'd be better off getting stuff before hand, like those crazy militant people who actually believe there will be a zombie apocalypse, and as such, are legitimately preparing for it.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
psychokind wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:

You're assuming the best case scenario where everyone before you didn't think to get there and remove weapons, and the fact that you could actually get there, alive, to get the weapons. Good idea, but not entirely realistic. You'd have to have prior knowledge of the layout to get to where weapons may be held, and hope beyond hope their there when you get there. The military base is unrealistic, likely all weapons would be locked up somwhere completely unavailable to you.

The weapons would likely be given to military personel, anyway, who would use them to fight off the infection. If you did get there without dying, and there were people alive in the base, you'd probably end up like the lead guy from 28 Days Later had the military guys plans worked out... or the last guy from the original Night of the Living Dead.

Police station would definitely be the more realistic choice. Their weapons wouldn't be nearly as scrutinized or controlled. But likely, any survivor would also have considered this and gotten weapons they might need. You'd be better off getting stuff before hand, like those crazy militant people who actually believe there will be a zombie apocalypse, and as such, are legitimately preparing for it.

ok, but that's a very pessimistic zombie scenario... I thought of a scenario where almost everybody dies very fast (like in the movies), and mass panic dominates the humans Very Happy I believe 98% of the people won't think rational at all in apocalytic scenarios.

anyway, the weapons they got themselves are just scattered and with the common 95% death rate you should be able to find sth. or find someone with a weapon and kill him. but you're right, achieving weapons can be hard depending on the scenario you're in.

the military bases have weapons in lockers in the guard houses, they are easy to achieve with a crowbar. at least in germany I would be able to find a weapon in a military base very fast. you can also visit the house from hunters you know.

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd probably go for a baseball bat as a weapon. guns are too hard to find in australia, and swords/big knives are a bit unrealistic. plus... swing a bat hard enough and heads come off.

other than that... small first-aid kit,
water bottle,
mobile phone (really handy if phone towers are still up, and weighs like nothing even if they dont),
flashlight, spare batteries
deck of cards (hey, gotta stay sane somehow)
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
swing a bat hard enough and heads come off.

unlimited energy cheat? Very Happy

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:
psychokind wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:

ok, but that's a very pessimistic zombie scenario... I thought of a scenario where almost everybody dies very fast (like in the movies), and mass panic dominates the humans Very Happy I believe 98% of the people won't think rational at all in apocalytic scenarios.

anyway, the weapons they got themselves are just scattered and with the common 95% death rate you should be able to find sth. or find someone with a weapon and kill him. but you're right, achieving weapons can be hard depending on the scenario you're in.

the military bases have weapons in lockers in the guard houses, they are easy to achieve with a crowbar. at least in germany I would be able to find a weapon in a military base very fast. you can also visit the house from hunters you know.

What Zombie Apocaplyse scenario isn't pessimistic? Razz We're also assuming that everything we're told about zombie killing could be true- what if we end up with zombies that are totally unkillable? We'd be royally screwed then. Or those dang running zombies? Escape is even less likely. As they say, if you can't beat them, might as well join em. I actually like Rainis' idea best. Very Happy Why survive when you can thrive on brains? Mischievous
This User Has Completed

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

well, unkillable and/or fast zombies are pretty unlikable Very Happy at least if they have to obey the law of biologics and physics. whereby I'm thinking of a zombievirus that allows zombies to digest their own flesh so fast they get high energy value out of it - given that, they would be VERY hot Very Happy mmh, warm zombies...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: