TerraEarth Forums

What have you never beaten?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:31 am   Post subject: What have you never beaten? Reply with quote

Topping my 'never beaten' list is a God-awful game by the name of Adventure Island. For anyone not familiar with it, it was essentially a shameless copy of Super Mario Bros., but with much less thought put in it.

The reason I never beat it? The second-last level. It pretty much requires that you make it through the entire level in one run, so that you have the skateboard (which allows faster movement) to clear a series of falling platforms before the next one is out of reach. And even if you have the skateboard, it still requires what's tantamount to a lucky guess when to throw an axe at a certain bat, or you'll be hit.

By the way... one hit, and you're dead. The skateboard lets you take an extra hit, but again, you need to get through the level in one shot, or you'll start at a checkpoint past the skateboard, and you can't get it again.

I had tried that level well over a hundred times, and I didn't pass it once. I was hardly a rookie at platformers by the time I had played it, so I'm sure it wasn't my own ineptitude that caused me to fail so many times; poor level design was a recurring theme in that game.

So I ask, what could you just never get through?

Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so many games I have not beaten...

The one I remember best..

Final Fantasy 7. There's one point in the game where I lost track of where I put the ship needed to progress the game in. Completely forgot when in the game it was, but it was after you get the optional Yuffie and (I think) infiltrate a base. Or maybe it was after the gold saucer carnival thing where Cloud gets blamed for killing security. Or was it after you rescue a couple of women kidnapped by the Turks' enemies? I don't know.

But after days of picking apart that darn island at all the places the ship could possibly be, I gave up. If it was a glitch, or in a place that I never thought to look, I'll never know.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Home Alone for the NES. The SNES version was not only far superior, but far easier... the game gives you twenty minutes, one life, and an eternity of painful memories and odd glitches (Including a dresser you can vanish behind that only works once or twice). My record was 1:29 left on the clock- I got that far, and vowed never to play that craptastic game again.

Nightmare On Elm Street- This game is just awful. I've gotten to the fifth or six level, and the only way I could beat it was via Game Genie- and even then, the game is so shitty the infinite lives codes only works when it wants to.

There's probably many more, but none I can think of right now.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my NES games I can't beat. Sad but true.

For a while I couldn't beat Nyx, the final boss of Persona 3. Goddamn Shin Megami Tensei games are stupid hard argh Biting

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayman's final boss. -rips out hairs-
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SMB 3 on NES. There was one level in World 8 I could never pass... I remember alot of quick sand, it was pretty early on.

I only ever beat it on the All Stars version... and I kind of "cheated" my way through it. I filled up my Overworld inventory completely with Clouds... I had all three screens with clouds, and skipped over every level until Bowsers castle at the end, which, if I didn't beat in one go (And thankfully I did) I'd be brought back all the way to the beginning.

Zelda 2. I just couldn't get into it.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenogears. my rom is broken Very Happy
Shameless Pirate

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:

I never got far on that game either. It wasn't interesting enough to compensate for the difficulty
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazermint wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:

I never got far on that game either. It wasn't interesting enough to compensate for the difficulty

1 and 2 were enjoyable but even with a walk-through it was impossible to get very far. Sad
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me years to beat Zelda II, but I finally did.

Final Fantasy VI and Secret of Mana I never beat, but that's just because I got bored at the end and quit. I do that a lot with RPGs.

In The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts: 358/2, and Kingdom Hearts: Re-Coded I couldn't beat the post-game content. In each game I got about halfway through the post-game, then suddenly I reached a point that required gratuitous levels of grinding or skill that I didn't have the patience to acquire. I will probably never go back to those games because of it. (not that I liked either of those KH titles...)

In Mega Man 4, I couldn't figure out how to harm Dr. Wily. I tried EVERYTHING but couldn't do it. Mega Man 10 and Mega Man Powered Up had RIDICULOUSLY hard Wily Stages that I never had the patience to even attempt to get past.

I never could beat Metroid without cheating. However, I attribute that to a lack of a map. I've beaten Zero Mission and several other Metroid games.

I've been trying for years, but I can't beat Boss Battles on Intense difficulty in Smash Bros Brawl. It's the only thing left for me to do in the game, aside from stickers, and I can't seem to get it down. Ice Climbers are really good for dodging, which I need to beat Taboo, but Charizard does crazy fast damage at the expense of being slow. I've made it to Taboo, like, less than ten times. I just can't seem to get it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

sora-mage wrote:
Fazermint wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:

1 and 2 were enjoyable but even with a walk-through it was impossible to get very far. Sad

One wasn't a problem. At least, quest 1 wasn't. I'm going really old school here (I mean really old school) I had to call a gaming hotline to ask how to finish level one of the Second Quest of Zelda 1... who the hell knew that you could walk through walls?

Zelda 2 on the other hand... it was so different it became almost unlikable for me. Its like they took everything that made the first one good, killed it, ate it, regurgitated it, decided to go side-scroller/overworld, and left us with the undesirable aftertaste. I don't know about the rest of you, 2 was just a disappointment. Felt more like Castlevania 2 than it did a Zelda game.
This User Has Completed

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
who the hell knew that you could walk through walls?

What the hell was up with that? I mean SERIOUSLY!

Game Designers were effed up in the head in the 80's, I swear! There was some challenging messed up crap in Zelda I, especially Quest II.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
In The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts: 358/2, and Kingdom Hearts: Re-Coded I couldn't beat the post-game content. In each game I got about halfway through the post-game, then suddenly I reached a point that required gratuitous levels of grinding or skill that I didn't have the patience to acquire. I will probably never go back to those games because of it. (not that I liked either of those KH titles...)

Look up a Let's Play for Persona 3 FES: The Answer. You start out at level 25 and everything you fight have to be at least 5 to 10 levels higher than you.

Edit: phoooone Biting

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.

Last edited by inferiare on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

might and magic VI - the mandate of heaven. i'm playing like 10+ years on that thing now and still didnt make it to the end... Banging Head

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Sgt.Pepper1983
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 323

PostSgt.Pepper1983 Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed most of the megaman x games, but I'm having a hard time staying interested in #5 and 7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: