TerraEarth Forums

On the hunt for a new job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:41 am   Post subject: On the hunt for a new job Reply with quote

Because I have nothing better to do at the moment, I'm making a thread about this. Meh/Worried

After 8 and a half years working on a contract farm for a turkey breeding company, I've decided that I just don't make enough money for the long term. If I ever hope to get married, have a family, get a house, etc., my salary just isn't going to cut it. So, I've recently started looking for a new job.

Physical labour is pretty much all I've done, so I'm definitely used to it. With that in mind, I'm mainly looking for work in something like construction or masonry. A couple of places I applied to turned out to be a bust, so I may have to register for an apprenticeship through a local college to make myself more appealing to these places.

All is not lost, though. I'm planning to apply to another place tomorrow, and I'm somewhat optimistic about it. Here's hoping for some good luck.

After informing my boss that I'm looking for a new job a couple of weeks ago, he wished me well and thanked me for years of good work. But today, I think he realized just how screwed he'll be if I leave.

Our workplace works on a contract, which has to be renewed every year or two. Renewal time is coming up soon, and I think he's a bit worried about it; the head company is breathing down his neck about this and that, and if they decide not to renew it, the place closes down. If I leave, they won't be shorthanded; he has about 4 new employees ready to start working when he calls them. But just about everyone there will be new and inexperienced, and no one will be able to do all the stuff that I do. There are several things out there that only I do, and not to sound immodest, but I'm one of the best people he's ever had out there.

Now, my boss has offered me more money to convince me to stay. An unofficial title of 'assistant' (manager, I presume), and an extra $3 an hour. I estimate I'd be bringing home an extra $500 a month.

Thing is, if I get this construction job, I'll be making more money than I do at this current job, even with the big raise.

My current job is familiar, I'll be making fairly good money, and some of the people I work with I've come to really, really like. On the other hand, there's a fair number of morons there, and it's often a pretty negative environment to work in.

I'm supposed to think it over this weekend. I still plan to apply to the construction place tomorrow, but if it doesn't work out, I wonder if it would be worth my while to put a job search on hold for a while and make the extra money.

Not really asking advice or whatnot, just bored, and started typing. Meh/Worried

Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

aim high man. You could go further in life in construction. and sometimes you have to take risks to make progressions. I finally landed myself a job full time which is great but ive recently came across another much better opportunity. so i kinda kno how you feel cos if i try for the opportunity i wont be able to keep this job and if it doesnt work out im back to square one probably. but i think im gonna take the risk for something better. i rekon u should go for it too
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

there's no harm in applying for jobs while you still work there, is there? no need to quit until you actually have an offer.

i think you should always aim higher. if you want it enough, you'll get it. (the job market, i hear, is one of the few places where this actually holds true)

best of luck!
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll forget about the old job soon enough. but what's most important: I've read
Quote:
If I ever hope to get married, have a family, get a horse

at first

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A horse? Pay attention, Psycho. Neutral Very Happy

Conveniently enough, this place's website has the option for you to email your resume to them. Saves me the 25 minute drive out there, I guess. Cool Guy

Edit: After noticing that their website hasn't been updated in four years, I figured it'd be best to make the drive out and apply in person, in case online applications aren't an option any more.

Nobody was around except for one guy that said all the staff was gone on Friday the 13th ( Confused ). So the resume is turned in, and now I wait a while. Meh/Worried

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even if you don't get a new job right away, your old job has become even better, right? Either way, you've already sort of won.

At any rate, good luck with your job search! Cool Guy

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best man! You even got an improvement out of this already!

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

if you applied in person, i would also apply online. sometimes resumes just get stashed somewhere and forgotten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: