TerraEarth Forums

Reasons To Hate Your Jobs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reasons To Hate Your Jobs Reply with quote

Lets come up with a list of things we hate about our jobs people! It'll be fun!

Let me start...

I took a vacation for a little under two weeks. IT was all supposed to be consecutive, with my birthday somewhere in the middle. For some reason, one day wasn't put on as vacation, and they ended up putting me on the schedule for one random day in the middle, claiming I didn't put time off for that particular day, although I have the proof I did.

It just so happens this particular day is my birthday. -.-; I already told my boss I wasn't going to be coming in, and I'd call out if I have to. To hell with that. It's bad enough my birthday is on fathers day, but then they want me to work that night? Screw 'em.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

that's pretty lame. just dont show up.

another reason to hate your job: in most cases, you'll just be another statistic to them, and they wont particularly care about you as an individual. ties in to your point, if they had cared they'd be like "oh, just let him have the day off"
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work as a box boy down at some mart... All day I had to fill the shelves. If we had a big delivery, I usually couldn't get it all done in one day, and my boss would say I worked really slow. Other days, when the deliveries weren't as big, I was usually done before my hours were over, so then I had nothing to do and just chilled out. Then I got nagged at for being lazy.

On top of it being a shitty and boring job, I wouldn't take shit from that jerk. I took off my shirt and handed it to him, and said "You just lost your only employee that didn't steal stuff."
And then I walked away like a boss, shirtless. I did regret that afterwards, it being winter and all....
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in Customer Service since I began working. Five years of experience in various Customer Service fields. I work at a call center for a local cell phone company.

There are numerous protocols you must follow with each call, the most annoying of which is the insistence that you must offer the post-call survey to EVERY customer under EVERY circumstance.

Now you know how you hear that "this call may be monitored or recorded for QA or Training?" That's totally true. About once a week I have one of my calls monitored and I get graded on it.

Now the consensus of my QAs is that I'm a great care rep. They love my personality, they say I treat the customer great. And that's cause while I may not love my job, I care about the customer and am, if nothing else, a professional.

On one QA a customer called me, stating that he wanted to cancel his mother's account because she had just passed away. I take care of the customer and give him a warm goodbye. And they docked me 25 points on my QA for not offering the survey. That is the height of idiocy. What did they expect me to say???

"Hey, sorry your mom is dead but could you go ahead and take this survey to let me know how I'm doing?"

I don't care about company protocols. I'm doing well enough that I'm not going to get fired and in fact have been commended several times for my performance. When in doubt, I'm going to err on the side of common sense and take care of the customer.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
On one QA a customer called me, stating that he wanted to cancel his mother's account because she had just passed away. I take care of the customer and give him a warm goodbye. And they docked me 25 points on my QA for not offering the survey. That is the height of idiocy. What did they expect me to say???

That is so mind-blowing in its stupidity, I honestly can't find the words for it.

Let's see, what is there to not like about my job...?

- We're expected to do the work of two people. Not only are we expected to do an unholy amount of work, but we have 9 hours to do it in, rather than the 12 hour days other places work.

- There's no routine; rules and procedure change week to week. One of my co-workers told our boss "I couldn't do A, so I did B." Our boss said that should be fine. She asked "So, do we do things that way from now on?", and our boss tells her "I didn't say that." She, and everyone else was left with no idea what we're supposed to do. What's the operation schedule? When do you want this done? Do we start with this, or with this? Our boss didn't give a single straight answer. I've never seen someone avoid answering questions so much. And he's the manager!

- Lazy people are accommodated, hard-working people are punished. If someone takes too long to finish their job (it shouldn't take that long after two weeks working there), someone else gets sent in to "help" them finish (read: do half their work for them). That's in addition to your own work. Naturally, that's led to some people intentionally pissing around, so someone will be sent in to help out. After all, why bust your own ass doing something when someone else will eventually be made to do it for you? The unofficial slogan some of us came up with is "those who can, do. Those who can't have it done for them."

Somebody misses work repeatedly with no phone call or explanation? No problem! Sure, everyone else has to scramble to make up for the extra work, and we all finish late, and there are one or two people that really end up suffering for it, but as our boss says: "Tomorrow is another day". Honestly, that's what he said when our day was screwed up by someone not showing up.

There's no pleasing anyone with authority, ever. If you take initiative and do something, it turns out you weren't supposed to, or should have done something else, or didn't do it well enough. No matter how much you do, or how well you do it, they will find something to criticize you over. Never mind that the low-level employees are the reason the administration makes their six-figure salaries at all. A few kind words isn't too much to ask for, and would go a long way to keeping morale up.

Everything is rushed as hell. Every job is expected to take 15 minutes, tops. Everything needs to be done in one day. You should be able to finish that unreasonable amount of work, so you can finish that other 8-hour job in 3 hours.

There are other reasons, but I'll stop there.

I don't mean to make it sound like I have a shitty job. If the boss stays off your case and just lets you work, stuff gets done, and it's a fine enough job. It's when he starts picking at everyone over everything that people become miserable. He wants everything done a certain way, but what he wants and what's a good idea tend to be two very different things.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to paint the wooden benches outside while it was very hot once. But I was in the army then Very Happy
Light Knight in training

Level 2: Whisp

Gems 872

Postsurvient Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My current job is cool now but I've been through the ringer on some of my older jobs.

Another call center veteran, worked for a company handling another company's dishwasher recall. Customers got two options, a $75 coupon towards a new one or a free in home repair. No exceptions, no escalations. Typical scenario:

Customer calls in, had the repair done, and left the dishwasher to run overnight. Dishwasher flooded all over their kitchen, so they wanted us to cover the flooding and get them a new dishwasher. I was forced to tell them that they had no other options, they were no longer eligible for the coupon.

Another customer calls in, house burned down due to the defect. Got with my boss and they told me what to tell the customer, so I get back on the phone, "So what's your new address so I can mail you that $75 coupon?"

Fun times.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger ICQ Number
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

*Looks around video game store...*

Sorry, I can't find anything to dislike... Razz

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What game company do you work for? I imagine it's not like a corporate store like Gamestop... a couple of my friends all lost their jobs, or are in the process of losing them from Gamestop, because of the over-corporate style of their store operations. They forced one manager out (Who incidentally had robbed the company blind for years) and are forcing others to quit (One friend gets 3 hours a week- just because he worked with the previous management)
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tay works in a smaller chain type. Either way, I know the GameStop bull too. Friend was a manager and got kicked out by being in "trouble"; I think her manager was scared of her taking her job.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed there's three types of Gamestop managers; old EB types; no-nonsense buttholes... insane Former Funcoland managers, who thinks that the corporate world is out to get them (And might incidentally be right)... and finally, the corporate new era Gamestop managers, who kiss ass so much they sometimes forget to wipe the brown stains from their puckered lips.
This User Has Completed

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
What game company do you work for?

It's a "former-franchise-turned-corporation" based out of Arkansas called Game-X-Change. I think there are about 30 stores in Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, and Oklahoma that are affiliated with us, and then there are a few (like maybe 10) other stores in Arkansas, up north, and out east, that are still independent and haven't incorporated.

We deal in primarily Used: Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft (no Atari or PC) as well as DVDs, iPods, and Smart-Phones.

Corporate is still in the process of getting set up, so it's not as strict as, say, GameStop. A lot of our stores looked pretty beat-up until recently when the company started really defining the responsibilities of managers and district managers. It's good to see them all starting to come together, though.

Of course, my store still looks better than any other in the company. Razz

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
*Looks around video game store...*

Sorry, I can't find anything to dislike... Razz

My thoughts exactly Very Happy

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
LollipopChainsaw

Gems 549

PostLollipopChainsaw Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:42 am   Post subject: O.o Reply with quote

To say I don't like my job would a gross understatement but I try to be optimistic. It could always be worse, for example:

1. I could work in customer care instead of tech support (sorry Jason Kiss )

2. I could work at Crazy 8 (a children's store), I have a friend that works there and she told me kids actually poop on the floor and the parents just leave it there

3. I could be unemployed

When it comes to work I just say "Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeh"
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Insane bosses. True story: I was heading into our front public bathroom. There are two stalls right next to each other, facing the front door of the bathroom. One is the normal stall, the other the handicap. So I enter, and looked up to see my manager (Executive Overnight, paid 45,000 a year to do, basically, nothing) sitting on the toilet in the smaller stall, with the stall door wide open.

I must've stopped for a second, because he said something that I don't quite remember. So, I went into the other stall to take care of my business... and the creep tries to start a CONVERSATION with me. This was possibly the creepiest thing ever.

So, tell me: Anyone else got creep bosses?
This User Has Completed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: