TerraEarth Forums

Pescetarianism (and I guess vegetarianism in general)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:30 pm   Post subject: Pescetarianism (and I guess vegetarianism in general) Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert in this subject, but I find this lifestyle to be truly confusing.

For those of you who don't know, pescetarians are people who don't eat any meat except fish. However many pescetarians claim that they are true vegetarians because fish don't count as meat?

While your brain tries to wrap around that concept here is one of their main "scientific" arguments: Fish are not meat, because it's been proven that fish don't feel pain.

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

No. You're not a vegetarian. You're just a preachier brand of carnivore. I'm a full blown carnivore and I know it. And you know what? Nothing feels pain after it's been cooked.

No disrespect for anybody who is a vegan or vegetarian, mind you, at least you are consistent with your believes and let's face it with as many greasy burgers as a I choke down in a given week you'll probably outlive my fat ass. But don't get all preachy on how my life style is inhumane or I might have to pull this shit on you:

Anyway. Discussion?

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, then I'm sort of a pescetarian too. I think poultry, fish and sausage doesn't count as meat. I still eat meat though.
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
hey, then I'm sort of a pescetarian too. I think poultry, fish and sausage doesn't count as meat. I still eat meat though.

Sausage technically isn't meat. The parts of the body they use most people wouldn't eat if they knew what it was. Smile

Umm... I think fish is a meat, however, I say, to each their own. If they want to count it as not a meat (Which it is) let them. As long as they aren't calling themselves vegetarians. Then they'd just be hypocritical.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
psychokind wrote:

Sausage technically isn't meat. The parts of the body they use most people wouldn't eat if they knew what it was. Smile .

yeah, that's why I'm so lucky living in Germany - wir sind sausage-country!

TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullcrap fish don't feel pain: they get hooks jabbed in their mouth, they just can't vocalize it.

Imho, the whole vegan thing is retarded.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe fishes don't have the appropriate nerves etc. in their mouth to feel pain the way we do...

And although I like my meat, I once didn't eat any meat at all for one week, and blame it on whatever you want - placebo-effect and whatnot
I did feel quite good/better!
...I just had to eat more often Razz

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish is meat. It's still flesh you're eating. Just because they can't vocalize their pain doesn't mean they don't feel it.

You're either a vegetarian or a carnivore. If you only eat certain kinds of flesh, you're still a carnivore. Inventing another term for it to single yourself out as only eating certain animals is moronic. Most things aren't 'black and white', but I believe this is.

I'll be perfectly honest; I think a vegetarian (and especially vegan) diet is impractical and unhealthy. Supplements only do so much, and are no replacement for a balanced diet. That may be why the vegetarians I work with are so thin and pale.

Don't get me wrong. I can get behind the whole "don't be cruel to animals" thing, and if someone wants to go vegetarian out of principle, by all means. With the following provisions:

- Don't tell me how you're saving the world by not having a burger, and I'm an asshole.

- Don't make up shit terms and only eat some kinds of meat. It's all or nothing.

Our bodies were meant to consume protein. We use it for several purposes. Hell, we have fang-shaped teeth in our mouth. We were meant to eat meat.

You don't need a lot, to be fair. But claiming moral superiority for shunning meat completely gets you a middle finger from me.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

...what dark knight said. Seriously. My great aunt (or great-great aunt, I can't remember what kind of aunt) was a vegan for a good chunk of her life. Had a bunch of medical problems, and her doctor said it was because her body was lacking in the proteins and trace vitamins/minerals she would be getting from red meat. Reintroducing it into her diet made her incredibly sick but in the end? She was healthier from it.

Honestly, all of the vegans and the trend-sheep here in the states are just hurting themselves :/

I do, of course, exclude those who can't eat meat because of their bodies not being able to process it; one of my best friends can only eat chicken, fish, and turkey, and it's not by her choice. Her body can't process red meat and dairy products without making her sick. No idea why and she was fine with eating it before, but it happens.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the vegan arguments is that several products such as red meat, cow milk and cheese are not what humans are used to eating evolutionarily. The first homo sapiens subsisted on fruit primarily, grains and vegetables came later. They argue that the reason you get sleepy after eating red meat and dairy products it is because it takes more of our energy to convert that to fuel for us.

It's an interesting argument, but its not gonna make me stop eating bacon cheeseburgers or chili. And hell no to cheese. I could possibly give up beef but never cheese. (And seriously never to chicken or bacon. No joke. Old McDonald had a farm and E-I-E-I-ate it.)

Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Bullcrap fish don't feel pain: they get hooks jabbed in their mouth, they just can't vocalize it.

Imho, the whole vegan thing is retarded.

If fish had voices: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH MOTHER FUCKING HOOK IN MAH MOUTH ARGRH IT BURNS.

I, too, think vegetarianism is dumb. It's proven by the reason people go veggie:
- Because they pity the animals. Seriously, do you think eating less meat will stop them from being made into delicious slices o' meat? The only ones you might affect are the stores.
- Because it's healthy. THIS ONE CRACKS ME UP.

And those semi-vegetarians are just retarded. Hi, I'm vegetarian, but I do eat meat. Biting

With all due respect. Everyone are entitled to their own opinion, sure. But vegetarians always go telling other people to turn vegetarian because it's oh so awesome. LET ME EAT MY BACON!
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
Maybe fishes don't have the appropriate nerves etc. in their mouth to feel pain the way we do...

I asked my girlfriend about that, and she told me the nervous system of fishes is working like ours when it comes to pain. so no difference in killing a pig and a fish.

it would be awesome if we could stop eating beef (or forbidding it), because fucking cows produce more greenhouse gases than cars. and if I'm given the choice to drive at 200km/h while eating a pork steak and ONLY eating a beef steak...

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion there's only one good enough reason to be vegetarian/vegan. and that's if you don't like the taste of meat.

my friend's girlfriend is vegetarian, and that's her reasoning. no problem with it.

protecting animals? not likely, there's enough demand for animals to be bred for food, you aren't saving any of them. theyll be killed anyway, and sold.

worst case, they are still getting killed and are dying in vain since you wont eat the meat. (a bit of a stretch, but still funny to consider)
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:

protecting animals? not likely, there's enough demand for animals to be bred for food, you aren't saving any of them. theyll be killed anyway, and sold.

worst case, they are still getting killed and are dying in vain since you wont eat the meat. (a bit of a stretch, but still funny to consider)

well, that's entirely wrong. the more people are vegan, the less animals will be killed for food Very Happy
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:

well, that's entirely wrong. the more people are vegan, the less animals will be killed for food Very Happy

And that means more cows will remain alive, producing more greenhouse gases! Oh my god. I guess the "green" thing to do is eat LOTS and LOTS of beef! Very Happy

Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about vegans or vegetarians, whether it's a trendy choice, or remorse for animals, the dislike of the taste of meat, or (so they think?) it's healthier - so be it.

But rubbing it into other people's faces is just plain rude. And so is acting like you're some sort of better human beeing based on your diet <.<

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: