TerraEarth Forums

Untitled Story

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:38 am   Post subject: Untitled Story Reply with quote

Yet another story I've written. I've been plotting this for a book I had intended to write, and I liked the aspect of it's history. Some of you who are familiar with American history will get the setting and recognize a few of the names and the setting; this is only a small part of a larger story, and I'm interested in what you guys think of it. Obviously, it's crude- I literally just wrote this in the last hour or so, and it's very vague and intentionally ambiguous. Any comments/critiques are welcomed.

Date: 1588
Place: Roanoke Colony, Dare County

A rider flies through the woods, his horse moving swiftly. He dodges between the trees, on several occasions narrowly missing several. He finally broke through the woods, and entered the settlement. He about jumped off his horse and nearly stumbled, catching himself at the last moment. Several settlers had witnessed this, but paid no mind; they were busy taking down the remnants of their dwellings.
One of them approached the rider, a stout man named Roger Bailie. “You bring news of Whites return?”
“I day say no,” the rider returned. “He who walks in the shadows has come.” Rogers face suddenly dropped, and he took a hand to wipe away the nervous sweat from his brow. “You must tell your men to hurry with the task, for he will not spare even the children.”
“Aye, of course my sir,” Roger nodded, “but what of you?”
“There are preparations to consider,” the rider returned, “I must be alone.” He took out a piece of paper, and slipped it into Rogers hand. “Have one of your men carve this into every tree you can find. If rescue comes, they must know the threat they face.” The rider began to embark back into the woods, before Bailie called out to him.
“And what of the cross White spoke of?”
“The cross won’t be needed. Please, get to work quickly. We have little time to spare.”
The rider entered into the woods, and disappeared from Bailies view. He once more run his hand over his forehead. He who walks in the shadows has come. “May God have mercy on us all,” Bailie spoken beneath his breath, before turning around and continuing the preparations.

Several hours later…

A second rider came out through the woods. The settlers had nearly completed the deconstruction of the last remaining buildings as he entered into the colony. Roger Bailie had not been to see this man, but had he, he would’ve understood how accurate the riders words were. He stepped off from his horse, wearing a thick black tunic over his torso, black boots which were unusually clean, with only a red stain on the left.
A woman approached him, holding a young child. “How may I service you,” the woman asked.
“I’ve come in search of a man named Thomas Topan,” the man in black said, “I have knowledge that he has come to this settlement.” He looked behind the woman, “and I see you are moving on.”
“Yes,” the woman said, “we’ve decided to move to the islands. We’ve been under recent attacks from the natives over trading issues,” the woman stopped, “my apologies, I forgot my hospitalities. My name is Elynor Dare, wife of Ananias.”
The man smiled, and it made Elynor suddenly very uneasy. “We have been well met,” the man said, “but unfortunately I have no time for such trivialities. Is the man here or not?”
Elynor stepped back. “What is it you seek of Mr. Topan?”
“He has something that… belongs to me. That’s always belonged to me. I wish to have it.”
“I care not for issues between men and their personal belongings…” against her better judgment, and almost as if out of her own control, she continued; “I saw him a few hours before speaking to Roger Bailie, but he walked off into the woods and hasn’t been back since.”
The dark man smile drew further, making Elynor slink back even more. “I thank you.” He looked down to the child. “May the rest of your days be without darkness.” As he walked off, he couldn’t help but begin to chuckle. Had Elynor not been so concerned, she might’ve heard this, but instead had sealed her own fate.

Several minutes later…

Thomas Topan walks out of a cave, his clothes torn and tattered. Sweat covers his entire body, and his eyes are bloodshot as if from extreme exertion. He is breathing heavy, as he makes his way back to the encampment.
He doesn’t get very far when his senses kick in- someone is there, in the woods… but he cannot sense where they are, only that they are there.
“If someone is seeking me, come out and be over with it,” Thomas said. “I have no time for games.”
A voice laughed in the woods, coming from everywhere, yet at the same time from nowhere. “Time, such a complex concept. You have little idea of the true concept of it. But you are right, of course- time is something you have little of left.”
Thomas looked all around him. “For a man with such powers you are a coward. Hiding in the dark. Can you not face me?”
He stepped out from the shadows. “Strongs words for such a weak man. You’ve caused me a… headache. I will make you suffer for that. After I take what is mine, of course.”
“Take it if you can,” Topan said. Thomas pulled a knife from his tattered belt. “Might be difficult if you’re dead.”
The man laughed again. “You don’t realize it, do you? You’re already dead. You just don’t know it yet. But, I’ll humor you.” He stretched out his arms. “Take your best shot. I won’t even try to stop you.”
Topan ran straight at the man, driving the daggar forward. It pierced through the dark man’s chest, right into his heart. Topan stepped back, looking to him.
The dark man looked down at the dagger, and then back up at Topan. “Precision accuracy, I commend your efforts,” he said, dropping down to his knees. “But a fool you were to attack when you know not even what your enemy is capable of.” The dark man fell forward, and exploded into dust.
Topan stared in shock, and never felt the presense behind him. He felt a blade pass through his back, and looked down to see the end of it tear through the remains of his shirt.
“What you want is no longer here,” he said, blood pouring from his mouth. “I’ve purged myself of it. You have nothing to gain now.”
“Oh, but that isn’t true. You think that getting rid of it would stop me from obtaining it?” He began to laugh heartily. “I’ve waited a long time for it, and I can wait even longer. All you’ve done is seal the fate of your fellow men.”
The dark man grabbed Topan’s throat, and broken his neck. He pulled the blade from his back, and proceeded back to the settlement. When he arrived, he could see the settlers had just finished with the final preparations. He walked into an open clearing.
“Now hear this,” his voice boomed through the valley, “Thomas Topan, the ‘hero’ of your people, is dead. I took his life for his foolish ideals of heroism. His choice has sealed all of your fates, and know, in the moments before your death, you all brought this upon yourself.”
Roger Bailie had heard this from the distance, the words cutting through the woods. He had forgotten to give the word to one of his men, and hastily began to carve the message Topan had given him into one of the threes. He’d gotten only one done, and had only just begun the second. He stopped, having only finished the letters “C-R-O,” and looked out at the men.
By now, the settlers had stepped out and looked at the man who called out at them. The news of Topans’ death had surprised and angered some of them. They began to pull their knives, when the dark man feet suddenly left the ground.
He floated several feet into the air, and moved his hands in front of him. They were several inches apart from one another, when suddenly an electrical charge sparked between his hands, a bright blue sphere of energy filled between his hands.
“I give you absolute divinity,” he spoke, his words not coming from his mouth, but all around. “The power to create… and the power to destroy.”
The energy sphere exploded from within his hand, sending out a wave of energy in front of him. The settlers tried to run from it, but as it passed through them, they vanished in its brilliance, dissolving into little more than dust. Roger Bailie dropped the knife he’d used to carve the message into the trees, and turned to run. He was over taken, and vanished into the energy wave.
The dark man lowered himself to the ground, and looked around. He hadn’t used this ability since ages long since passed, names long since forgotten in the annals of history and time. He walked forward, and looked to the ground. He was surprised to find a knife stuck into the base of the tree, it had somehow survived the wave. He picked it up, and it disintegrated into dust as soon as he touched it. He looked up to the tree, to find the three letters that had been carved there; “C-R-O.”
He walked forward to another tree, this one with the completed message. “C-R-O-A-T-O-A-N” had been crudely carved into the tree. He ran his fingers over the letters, and smiled. Let this be a reminder to them, he thought, and stepped back. It will be mine. And when it is, all shall suffer my wrath. And so the dark man walked into the shadows, and vanished once more into history.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Showcasing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: