TerraEarth Forums

Cyber-Bullying
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever been a victim of cyberbullying?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll give you a for-instance. When Brendan told everybody that I had raped my ex-gf, I was getting death threats via email and phone for about a week. Can't exactly just shake that off.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

and imagine what can happen if you just ignore those - he doesn't deny, he's guilty!

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, when it comes to rape accusations, it wouldn't matter if he had denied it or not, he would have been seen as guilty.

There's a real double standard that way, where only an accusation (and nothing else) can absolutely drag a man's name through the mud.

But that's a whole other thread. Meh/Worried

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought occurs. I'm gonna move this to Debate Island.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:

There's a real double standard that way, where only an accusation (and nothing else) can absolutely drag a man's name through the mud.

which is why many women have to go through horrible procedures to prove their rape or are labeled as liars if their rapist is a socially influent man - which makes it pretty even Eek!
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this a number of times- girls cry rape, only to recant. A friend of mine is going through this right now- the girls nutso, and has threatened to have him beaten up, stabbed, shot, run over- on more than one occasion.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Freedan wrote:

which is why many women have to go through horrible procedures to prove their rape or are labeled as liars if their rapist is a socially influent man - which makes it pretty even Eek!

It doesn't matter if it's proven or not, once a guy is an accused rapist, the damage is done. All anyone will hear is the word "rapist". And since the guy's name is published in the news, everyone will be aware of it.

Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I should take some notes from here, Ill be teaching a class on cyber bullying next week

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
I should take some notes from here, Ill be teaching a class on cyber bullying next week

ask raini for a link from the case where the guy killed himself, pretty evident

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
The bolded part is the problem. Sure, a kid can ignore what some guy says in a forum post, but if that same guy contacts half the kid's class and gets them to start bullying in person, walking away isn't such a simple option.

Then it goes beyond bullying, and straight into libel territory, which the perp can very much can be sued for.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Freedan wrote:
The bolded part is the problem. Sure, a kid can ignore what some guy says in a forum post, but if that same guy contacts half the kid's class and gets them to start bullying in person, walking away isn't such a simple option.

Then it goes beyond bullying, and straight into libel territory, which the perp can very much can be sued for.

there's a difference between libel and bullying? Laughing

I never got word of a case where somebody was sentenced for libel and did sth that was even nearly as horrible as the bullying classmates had to endure Very Happy you can't sue kids for libel when they're bullying somebody like freedan or I described it.

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is. Bullying is when banal bullshit being being done like "so and so is a doody head, don't talk to him!" Libel is when you inflict a lifelong social stigma that last deep into adulthood and makes it impossible for the victim to function effectively in the society. The stigma attached to bullying is mild and only lasts during the schooling years, and could be easily dealt with if the parents are vigilant.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Yes there is. Bullying is when banal bullshit being being done like "so and so is a doody head, don't talk to him!" Libel is when you inflict a lifelong social stigma that last deep into adulthood and makes it impossible for the victim to function effectively in the society. The stigma attached to bullying is mild and only lasts during the schooling years, and could be easily dealt with if the parents are vigilant.

ok, I didn't know there were such huge differences in definitions of bullying...

when I'm talking about bullying, it's something worse than libel. bullying, or "mobbing" as it is called in germany when including adults, is when children or teenager do things to other children that have huge negative impacts on their daily lifes.
this can be property damage, physical or psychical abuse. it normally results in the victim dropping class or switching schools.

libel is sth far less worse. these are insults or talking behind somebodys back, and it's mostly the case in rivaling businesses or between older people here.

tl;dr: replace every "bully" in the post with "libel" while reading Very Happy

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Libel is just slander in written form. Saying something like:

Valerie Valens wrote:
"so and so is a doody head,

.... isn't bullying, that's libel. A very mild case, obviously, but libel nonetheless.

Valerie, I think you've reversed the definitions of bullying and libel. Bullying is to inflict abuse through threats, intimidation or violence. That's what can truly cause someone to not be able to function in their later years.

Someone encouraging others to bully someone else isn't "going in to libel territory", it's just rounding up more bullies.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And even IF your definition is correct, it's impossible to sue an anonymous online bully, which is why cyber-bullying is so horrible, you can't even muster a defense against it.

And as I found out last year, it is NOT easy to sue anybody, no matter how obvious the offense. I could have sued my two roommates for bailing on their lease and I had the original contract and everything. The warrant alone costs a huge amount then you have to go to court, attempt to win over the judge and then there's no guarantee they will pay you.

In a criminal case it's even harder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: