TerraEarth Forums

Good NES games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:34 pm   Post subject: Good NES games? Reply with quote

I'm gonna download some NES roms. But.. I have no idea which! I grew up with the SNES, so I don't know that many good NES games besides the obvious ones (Mario, Zelda, etc.). So does anyone have tips? Very Happy

EDIT: I'm a pirate! ARRRRRR!

Last edited by Fazermint on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

CHIP AND DALE RESCUE RANGERS. Though, might want to edit your post just slightly, you're just... getting some NES games. Razz

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to suggest some NES games to buy legitimately and not pirate. Cool Guy

All 3 Double Dragon games are pretty good (though I'd recommend 2 and 3 over 1).

Faxanadu is good, if you don't mind a story that doesn't go anywhere. But then again, most NES games didn't have much of a story besides what was in the instruction manual.

Blaster Master is fun, and probably wins the award for "story most obviously written by a 9 year old".

Kid Icarus, even if the first level is rifuckulously hard.

Castlevania. All 3 of them, though 2 (Simon's Quest), despite being the first "Metroidvania", is probably the weakest of the three, and is tough to find your way through unless you know the tricks already, or look up some of the answers.

Startropics is quite good, though the difficulty ramps up in the second last chapter. The second game is ok too, addresses some issues from the first, but has a few new faults of its own. Meh/Worried

There are others, but that should get you started. Cool Guy

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guardian Legend. It's a top down adventure game (Ala Zelda) and a shooter (Like Captain Skyhawk) The two blend well, and theres hours of exploring to be had. Be warned, though, the password system is one of those with both lower case and upper case letters; if you were to say, use some form of emulator, save states would surely be helpful. Otherwise, pay mind to your passwords. Definitely worth a look.

Also, if you can find it, Super Mario World for NES was pretty good too. The game ends after the sixth world, but with some form of game enhancer you can see the parts of the game that were cut but still in the memory, like worlds 7/8, and the final boss fight with Bowser which was unfinished. It's rare, but pretty good)

No matter what the AVGN nerd says, I loved Festers Quest, even with it's insane difficulty (Due to impossibly low health bar) Btw, you don't even need to fight the bosses in the game- if you turn on the key item during a boss fight, and walk around the bottom of the screen hitting the action button, you can trigger a glitch which automatically kills the bosses. Even the last one!

Thats all I got for now. If I think of any others, I'll post 'em.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick list:

Platformers:

Super Mario Bros. 1-3
--These should be no-brainers. If you can get a ROM of Lost Levels (Japan's Mario 2) go for it. It's like Mario 1, only UNFORGIVABLY difficult.

Mega Man 1-6
--Mega Man 1 is hard as balls, 2-4 are fantastic, and 5-6 are decent. It's Mega Man, what do I really need to say?

DuckTales
--Look, it's the single best game on the NES. Play it and don't ask me why you should.

Kirby's Adventure
--It's arguably the best Kirby game to date, though the GBA remake did a lot for it. The mini-games in the original are better, though.

Castlevania 1-3
--Castlevania 1 is pretty basic for an Action-Platformer. CV2, much like Zelda 2, is radically different and very hard. I suggest bringing along a walk-through. CV3 is among the best entries in the whole series. Four playable characters and multiple paths/endings give a tremendous level of re-play value for an NES game.

Metroid
--There's no map, and no save points. That makes Metroid seem VERY hard, when it really isn't.

Donkey Kong Classics
--It's Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. in ONE GAME! YEAH!

Ice Climber
--VERY old-school. It's not the greatest game out there, but it's good for a distraction.

Mario Bros.
--Classic arcade Mario. Although the Mario All-Stars Battle version was more fun, I guess.

Kid Icarus
--Why did you suggest this game, Freedan? It's horrible! Well, I guess Fazermint can be the judge.

Bubble Bobble 1-2
--You're a bubble-spitting dinosaur! RAWR! Finishing the level is just as much about Action as it is Puzzle Solving. Seriously, I love these games.

Action:

720 Degrees
--Skateboarding. Lame? Perhaps, but I LOVED it!

Star Soldier
--Classic Space-Shooting Action!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3
--TMNT 1 is hard, confusing, and hard. TMNT 2 is the arcade game, so think Final Fight/Streets of Rage. Same with TMNT 3, which is also good.

Ninja Gaiden 1-3
--Do you like your games hard? What about games that actually PHYSICALLY REACH OUT OF THE SCREEN AND PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE?

Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
--I'm not so crazy about it, but if you like boxing, this game is as good as it gets.

Balloon Fight
--It's Joust with BALLOONS!

Bomberman 1-2
--Blow shit up, beat level, blow more shit up. Who doesn't love Bomberman? Communists, that's who. Also, people who dislike fun.

Gautnlet 1-2
--Multiplayer awesomeness. Explore dungeons, kill stuff, don't run out of time! The first is better, but the second isn't bad by any means.

Contra
--Best shooting game ever? Yeah. Best shooting game ever. ^^VV<><>BA, bitch.

Adventure/RPG:

Zelda 1-2
--Zelda 1 is a choose-your-way sort of game that we really don't see anymore. As for the 2nd, while it gets a lot of flak, it's a fantastic Action-RPG. Just be ready to have your ass handed to you. Alot.

Final Fantasy 1-3
--The first one has a broken encounter rate and gets pretty grind-heavy. Nobody likes the second one because of the leveling system I guess? I thought it was pretty clever. The third on introduced the job system, so play it if you're into that sort of thing.

Dragon Quest 1-?
--I hear these games are good. Hell, this is the series that popularized the console RPG genre in Japan. Final Fantasy started as a DQ clone, after all.

Mother
--Speaking of DQ clones... Not as good as Earthbound, but still unique in setting and such.

StarTropics 1-2
--I never got around to finishing the first one, but I liked what I played. I can't remember if the second one was any good though.

Puzzle:

Tetris
--Honestly, the NES Tetris isn't the best version. Although the TENGEN Tetris does have 2-player, so there's that. I may not care for the physics in either NES release, but it IS Tetris, so...

Tetris 2
--It's Dr. Mario. With bricks.

Dr. Mario
--It's Tetris 2. With pills.

Yoshi
--It's one of my favorite puzzle games. Play it because I asked you to.

Yoshi's Cookie
--Not as fun as Yoshi to me, but it's easily the more popular of the two.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread, I'm on a NES binge myself. Castlevania 2 is gonna be difficult? I got humiliated at the later levels of CV1 and had to use savestates Blush

Ocie Denver
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adventures of Bayou Billy by Konami.
Must to have if you look for a game mixed with driving, shooting, and beat'em up genre. It has an option that let you use a controller instead of zapper during shooting mode.

Top Gun.
F-12 Tomcat simulation game based on the movie. Watch for landing mode because you have to follow the commands or end up as burned scraps.

The Bard's Tale.
D&D style RPG adventure game. The game let you create your own party with different classes by your choice.

Super C and Contra Force.
Two sequels to original Contra.

Super Spy Hunter.
A sequel to shoot'em up classic Spy Hunter. You can upgrade the Spy Hunter to superior version and use items to aid your way to final goal - destroy the outlaw leaders (BIG BAD BOSSES).

Solar Jetman: Hunt for the Golden Warpship.
Exploration/shoot'em up game. Not only you have defend yourself from alien enemies while search for missing ship parts, gravity is also enemy if not being careful.

Adventure Island I-III.
Pretty much like Super Mario Bros except cool power-ups like dinosaurs to ride on.

Spy vs Spy.
Nothing fun like set traps up for enemy npc and get away with secret intel bag. Down thing about them: They will kill you if you don't remember where your own traps are! Higher level, more rooms.

Solomon's Key.
Pretty close as Bubble Bobble games, you have to get to exit before either time is run out or enemies able to kill you. Blocks are your best champions.

Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge.
First games in Metal Gear line before Metal Gear Solid became famous.

Kung Fu
A classic beat'em up arcade game with kung fu style.

Pro Wrestling
A classic wrestling nes game. Simple attack moves, unique to each character.

Pinball and Pinbot.
Pinball games if you wish to kill some time for high score. Watch out for a glob in Pinbot. It has taste of metal balls...

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
Castlevania 2 is gonna be difficult? I got humiliated at the later levels of CV1 and had to use savestates Blush

CV 2 isn't 'challenging' hard, it's 'where the fuck do I go?' hard. "Bosses" (if you can call them that) and enemies are pushovers, and you're more likely to die from a frustrating jump or fall.

But good luck finding your way through. Shit's scattered everywhere, it's super easy to miss something important, and no one tells you what anything is for (buy a white crystal... you'll need it). The answers to some puzzles are ridiculously obscure, so you'll either stumble on it through sheer luck, or look it up.

But why do I love the game so much? Confused

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
you're more likely to die from a frustrating jump or fall.

MOTHERF***NG MERMEN. Mad

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mermen weren't a problem for me. If you could get in to position on the boat to avoid the first one, the others weren't a threat, and when you're crossing the bridge, they're practically begging to be killed.... jump and whip, jump and whip. Meh/Worried

I mostly lost lives on the floating platforms over the water, before I learned to jump at their peak for extra height. Or getting pegged by a stupid witch thing in town and falling in to the stupid pool of water in the middle of the city. Mad

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
The Mermen weren't a problem for me. If you could get in to position on the boat to avoid the first one, the others weren't a threat, and when you're crossing the bridge, they're practically begging to be killed.... jump and whip, jump and whip. Meh/Worried

I mostly lost lives on the floating platforms over the water, before I learned to jump at their peak for extra height. Or getting pegged by a stupid witch thing in town and falling in to the stupid pool of water in the middle of the city. Mad

Or when you don't feel like going down all those steps and jump off a ledge in a town, only to find out you're headed for water and absolute death.

Without a guide, the game is really hard honestly. If you want to get a good look at the game, I recommend the AVGN video for Castlevania 2. The original has some perfect points as to the issues with the game, but beware of spoilers.

Tay: I totally forgot about Dragon Quest, although the American NES name is Dragon Warrior 1-4 for the NES. Only later did they adopt the proper name. The first one is long and tedious at times, especially when you're EXP hunting (Damn those Metal fricken slimes)

I would say Duck Hunt, but obviously depending on your platform of choice you can't use a light gun...

Years ago I found a ROM for an NES-i-fied Resident Evil 1. The "Copy" was buggy at best. Considering it isn't even a legitimate game anyway, I doubt there would be any issue in finding the ROM for that. There's a little exploring/FPS aspects to it, so if you can find it, more power to you.

Oh, any DBZ fans: Try the game "Dragon Power." It was technically Americas first taste of Dragon Ball. The game was modified in a few ways; Goku in the game isn't named, his hair is now a bowl cut. Bulma has purple hair, so on. The game isn't very good either, but definitely worth a look.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a ****load of games 0_0

I'm gonna download them all, but trying them all out will probably take me a year .... XD
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazermint wrote:

I'm gonna download them all, but trying them all out will probably take me a year .... XD

Other the Mario games, Castlevania 1-3 are the best games are on NES.

Number 3 is evil hard, but so worth it Very Happy

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazermint wrote:

NES Roms are like 30-40 KB, I think you'll be fine, lol.

Oh, and for a true Pirate there can only be one game, which happens to be in my top five NES games:

I give a full review in a thread I made earlier about the best B-Games, so less talk, more screenshots.

Man, I love that game. I need to do a Let's Play or a Review or something for it on Youtube.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
TerraHero
Level 8: Amarante

Resident

Gems 6,006

PostTerraHero Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockin' Kats

Classic NES gaming, right there for yah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: