TerraEarth Forums

I Am Out of Patience- Welfare Must End
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:20 pm   Post subject: I Am Out of Patience- Welfare Must End Reply with quote

There are no regulations...

And anybody
, I MEAN ANYBODY
can be put on it.

These are a handful of the horror stories I have seen and I am sick of it. We need to tell everybody that Welfare will end in two years and I bet you the people on it will find work who are able.

If a person is legitimately disabled, fine, but this is ridiculous.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there's any kind of system like that, there will always be people trying to abuse it to their own end.

Sad, really.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Welfare needs to be reformed, not scrapped. A few people abusing a system meant to help the less fortunate is not reason enough to scrap it.

Ending welfare will cause a lot more poverty and homelessness. There'll be a lot more people depending on soup kitchens. It's easy to say "they should find a job" when you already have one yourself.

I'm sure if people could, most would do just that. Most people don't enjoy being given handouts. Welfare isn't a comfortable life with fancy cars and non-stop fun. It's miserable, and frustrating, and you worry about being able to buy food. But if you have a child, no daycare, very little money and little work experience, it's easier said than done to go get a job.

Yes, if welfare didn't exist, your taxes wouldn't go to pay someone abusing the system. But do you think your taxes would actually go down? Or would the government find some other reason to take your money?

Revamp the welfare system. Make sure people can't abuse loopholes to receive assistance when they have millions of dollars. The money you save from those unnecessary recipients can be put towards job training for those who truly do need the help. But forcing everyone off welfare will create a huge poverty issue, and one child starving because the government says "no" is too many.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a bit of a tirade earlier because of the crap that I watched. With a cooler head, I agree that Welfare is ultimately a force for good, but in general I agree with you, Freedan.

Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as I'm a student on welfare, I may be a tad biased. But I agree pretty much with freedan.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from the #1 welfare country of the world, I may be a tad biased. But I agree pretty much with Freedan.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Side Note: Guys, it's okay to be biased. Despite what people tell you, EVERYBODY is biased in debate. We're all humans. That's what makes debate possible.

Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

GIVE ME ALL YOUR TAX PAYER MONEY! I NEED TO BUY BOOKS TO WIPE MY ASS WITH!

honestly, a great way to cheapen studernt expenses and then the required ammount needed by the tax payer to support them would be to make books cheaper. Why can I by a novel for less thenm $20, but a text book is $100+, has far less content and is useless outside of the subject?

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
GIVE ME ALL YOUR TAX PAYER MONEY! I NEED TO BUY BOOKS TO WIPE MY ASS WITH!

honestly, a great way to cheapen studernt expenses and then the required ammount needed by the tax payer to support them would be to make books cheaper. Why can I by a novel for less thenm $20, but a text book is $100+, has far less content and is useless outside of the subject?

ROFLMAO. My friends and I actually did an episode where we talk about Text Books:

Just skip to 4:06

This pretty much sums up our groups whole feeling about text books...

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm having my 5th child so I can get more welfare money" was something my boyfriend heard way too much in Louisiana when he was there for 2 years. Definitely agreeing with Freedan though: close off the loopholes and make people go through bigger and more extensive background checks to make sure they actually qualify and you'll have people not sure what to do with themselves.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Altgrand
Level 1: Huball

Level 1: Huball

Gems 20

PostAltgrand Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic... My friend works for our welfare office in the city I live in and our state government is considering a simple new requirement for welfare to continue. They want to require a certain number of job or school applications to be reviewed every month to keep your eligibility, and they must be signed off on by the potential employer. And then if you get an part time position and keep it until you become full time, you get a bonus percentage depending on how fast you get off of welfare.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT would be ideal. It works like the unemployment here. I know somewhere they were doing drug tests too for welfare.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Welfare system is not the system itself, but everything else that funnels people into the system. Abysmal minimum wages on 72 hour weeks, ridiculously high costs of living, not enough job openings for qualified personnel etc... The list goes on.

If you want to fix the welfare system, you must first fix the socio-economic conditions that drives people to welfare in the first place. Let's be honest here. NOBODY wants to be on welfare. It's a shitty place to be in, but if the alternative is to slave away for 72 hours in a shit dead-end job for a marginal improvement of net income, it's no wonder that many are piling in to the system.

If you're that vexed about paying for them with your taxes, you should then be infinitely more angry at the millitary for spending so goddamn much money on overpriced contractors and getting involved in unnecessary wars, because THAT is what is taking the lion's share of your tax money, and it's cannibalizing socialized programs left and right.
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
The problem with the Welfare system is not the system itself, but everything else that funnels people into the system. Abysmal minimum wages on 72 hour weeks, ridiculously high costs of living, not enough job openings for qualified personnel etc... The list goes on.

If you want to fix the welfare system, you must first fix the socio-economic conditions that drives people to welfare in the first place. Let's be honest here. NOBODY wants to be on welfare. It's a shitty place to be in, but if the alternative is to slave away for 72 hours in a shit dead-end job for a marginal improvement of net income, it's no wonder that many are piling in to the system.

If you're that vexed about paying for them with your taxes, you should then be infinitely more angry at the millitary for spending so goddamn much money on overpriced contractors and getting involved in unnecessary wars, because THAT is what is taking the lion's share of your tax money, and it's cannibalizing socialized programs left and right.

I agree with you for the most part... except that there are people who do want to be on welfare. I've meet people with little to no interest in working, have no problem having way too many children that they don't really care for, and would prefer to stay on welfare than having to get an actual job.

Just the other day I saw a guy try to buy liquor with food stamps! They introduced something called SNAP benefits, basically a government funded debit card for low income or welfare families to buy food or essentials with- and I've seen people trying to use their cards to buy cigarettes or booze. There are people who abuse the system, love abusing the system, use their money for selfish reasons as opposed to caring for themselves or their children.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps, and this is more likely, they have given up on themselves. They figured that their situation won't improve no matter how hard they try, so might as well make the most of their shitty situation. If they are given the opportunity to earn a high income doing 9-5, they would jump on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: