TerraEarth Forums

movies every nerd must see

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgt.Pepper1983
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 323

PostSgt.Pepper1983 Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 pm   Post subject: movies every nerd must see Reply with quote

The topic is exactly what it says. What movies do you think every nerd should see? I'll start off by saying that every nerd needs to see at least one Star Wars rip off. I saw Messege From Space a few days ago. It's not bad for what it is. I gave it three stars on netflix.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... lets see...

For gamers, I recommend the documentaries King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and Chasing Ghosts. King of Kong has a strong rivalry story, whereas Chasing Ghosts is standard documentary fare- you'll see some gamers who profited from their experiences (Billy Mitchell is a focal point of both docs, btw) and also became pathetic sad sacks (there are a few in KoK, but a whole lot of pathetic in CG) For movies, I'd say Scott Pilgrim VS the World. Alot of gamer references there and, while I can't stand Michael Cera, the overall rest of the film was good. (Both are on Netflix)

It also depends on what kind of nerd you are, too. For horror fans, I recommend Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. Fantastic film, with tons of genre references and alot of black humor. The Phantasm series is fantastic. People seem to love the Evil Dead films, but while I am a fan, I'm not overly crazy about them or Bruce 'don't call me Ash" Campbell.

There are also series of documentaries about horror film franchises- Halloween 25 Years of Terror was good, His Name Was Jason (Friday the 13th) was awful, but Never Sleep Again (Nightmare on Elm Street) might actually be better than most of the films in the franchise. Its very in depth on all the films, the TV series, and even how one franchise shaped an entire film company. Also, AVGN has his own special feature on the 2nd disc, that was pretty cool.

For the sci fi fan, the obvious ones apply: Aliens, Terminator 1 and 2, Matrix 1 (Watch the other two but don't expect too much) And while I didn't like it at first, X-Files: I Want to Believe. It wasn't what I was expecting from it, but I didn't give it the shot it deserved. Decent movie, but somewhat overshadowed by what came before it.

While the first Tron movie is quite dated, the second one, Tron Legacy, was fantastic. The visuals, the music (Provided entirely by Daft Punk) and the action... absolutely fantastic. I've probably seen it five times now, and it's available on Netflix.

Theres alot more where that came from, but for now, I'll leave you with these select choices.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Pilgrim verses the World
King of Kong
The Matrix
The Dark Knight
Anything with "of the Dead" in the title
Aliens
and finally
The Avengers (when it comes out)

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
Scott Pilgrim verses the World
King of Kong
The Matrix
The Dark Knight
Anything with "of the Dead" in the title
Aliens
and finally
The Avengers (when it comes out)

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say you can skip "Land of the Dead..." just awful.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

conan the barbarian - helps the nerd become a man Cool
Level 8: Amarante

Gems 3,076

Postgamechampionx Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the party here, but if you're a tech nerd, the following movies are worth watching:

Primer - A movie about two young men who find a way to travel back in time. It's interesting because it deals with physics, at least at a superficial level. Also, the style of filming is somewhat nontraditional.

The Pirates of Silicon Valley - A dramatization of the early years of computer history.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:
I'm late to the party here, but if you're a tech nerd, the following movies are worth watching:

Primer - A movie about two young men who find a way to travel back in time. It's interesting because it deals with physics, at least at a superficial level. Also, the style of filming is somewhat nontraditional.

The Pirates of Silicon Valley - A dramatization of the early years of computer history.

I completely forgot about Pirates of Silicon Valley. I loved that film. It's about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs rise to power, and Steve Jobs eventual downfall. It's dramatized, but some of the things in there really happened- like Jobs firing anyone who wouldn't work 90 straight shifts to get the Apple II done on time. No lie.
This User Has Completed

gamechampionx

Gems 3,076

Postgamechampionx Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I really liked about that film is that is had some actors who are now well-known (i.e. Anthony Michael Hall, Gema Zamprogna, Noah Wyle) in an unusual context.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: