TerraEarth Forums

[Guide]Move Ark anywhere on the Overworld Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turevon
Level 1: Huball

Level 1: Huball

Gems 22

PostTurevon Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:39 am   Post subject: [Guide]Move Ark anywhere on the Overworld Map Reply with quote

I just recently beat this trilogy again, and it always bugged me how you could not get to the southern tip of Africa in Terranigma. After some trial and error testing with a hex editor, I was able to change Arks position (in a ZSNES save state) on the main Overworld map quite easily. I wanted to post a guide on my process for you fine people.

Step 1: Download a free hex editor. I used Cygnus Hex Editor. Google that for a download link. (I used the one from Cnet, which was the third result for me)

Step 2: Get an emulator and a ROM of Terranigma. I tried both ZSNES 1.36 and ZSNES 1.51, as well as 3 different versions of the European ROM, and this worked in each of them. I mainly used ZSNES 1.36.

Step 3: Get to a location near to wherever you want to place Ark. Since I was aiming for South Africa, I started here:
i.imgur.com/y94oY.jpg

Step 4: Make a save state in that area, then move a few steps in another direction and make another save state. My second state was saved here:
i.imgur.com/WFpWf.jpg

Step 5: Open 2 windows of the hex editor, and load the first save state into one and the second save state into the other. You might want to use copies of the save states to be safe.

Step 6: In the hex editor, go to Edit > Go To. Under Base, select Hexadecimal. Under Go to offset, enter in 1C10 and click OK. Reading this gave me a headache, but if you Google 'save state hacking' there is a good explanation on the numbering at the fantasyanime site.

Explanation: At the 1C10 subset, you should see these numbers: 00 00 00 XX XX YY YY 00. Don't worry about the numbers after the dash. The 4 Xs are Arks horizontal position on the Overworld map, and the 4 Ys are his vertical position.

To continue with my example: In the save state at the first screenshot, the value here is 00 00 00 48 03 00 09 00. The value at the second screenshot, 3 steps down, is 00 00 00 48 03 30 09 00.

Step 7: Alter the XX XX or YY YY code to change Arks position and save the file. (I saved the file under a different unused save state) In the previous example, I changed the value to 00 00 00 48 03 70 09 00 and save it to game_name.zs9. (Since my ninth save state was blank) Upon loading the save state, Ark will temporarily appear in the old position, and then teleport to the new one.
Here is a screenshot of my example:
i.imgur.com/4duYy.jpg

I had some fun teleporting Ark around to areas that were blocked off. I explored several places, but did not find any hidden areas. Still, it felt like climbing a small mountain. A nerdy mountain. Here are a few more screenshots:
i.imgur.com/s02ww.jpg
i.imgur.com/ZmnDq.jpg
i.imgur.com/6DTr4.jpg

e: Sorry about the links, Huballs are not good at linking websites~
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I always assumed there'd be something there, maybe some areas that never made it into the final version. But it's empty. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: