TerraEarth Forums

Whats all the hype
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capitan Failure
Level 1: Huball

Gems 45

PostCapitan Failure Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 am   Post subject: Whats all the hype Reply with quote

Hi all, Im new to Terranigma and Terra Earth.

I was delighted to descover the existence of this game recently, as growing up I was a huge fan of Illusion of Gaia, and as a teenager I found Soul Blazer on a lonely game shelf at a closing sale, only to discover that the two were attached when I reached the first boss.

But I never knew about Terranigma. So when I finally discover it I am more excited because reviewers are unanimous that it is an amazing game. I have heard some say it has the best music of any game of all time, best graphics of the Gaia series, etc etc.

But playing the game so far I have been disappointed, granted I am not too far into the overworld yet.. First of all, there is no question this game is not even in the competition for best music, the soundtrack is great, but not even slightly in comparison with with the greats (FF6 comes to mind).

Sorry, had to get that out of the way, not trying to troll.

But the other disapointment I have is the graphics, again they are pretty good, but no where near as good as its predecessor. Everthing is static, while in Illusion of Gaia everything was dynamic, hair and clothing blew in the wind, Wills flute spun amazingly, while Ark has some bland motion graphic to represent his block.

Other than that the story hasnt been very engaging so far, and the gameplay is kinda uninspired. Im not giving up on it yet though, if so many people love it so much, there has to be a reason. Anyone have any ideas why I am feeling a little let down, and maybe let me know when the game starts to get really good?
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably because you read reviews before playing the game. I had a similar experience with some other "great" games (not in this trilogy), where I had heard that they were "OMG THE BEST GAME EVER". When I got to them, the bar had been placed exceedingly high, and I found myself criticising everything that didn't quite reach it.

Terranigma is an amazing game, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every playthrough I have made. I believe the game gets really good at about the point where you finish the dungeon Elkemata (trying to avoid spoilers here, but the plot picks up not too long after that).

Also, welcome to TE! We need some new members around here, the place is slowing down...

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That's probably the main reason: you've heard so much about it before playing, so the bar was set really high. So, even if something is really, really good, you may not think it quite reaches that bar, and wonder what all the fuss is about.

That's why so many people today wonder why Ocarina of Time was such a huge deal. At the time, it was phenomenal, but after years of it being called the best game ever made, people that play it for the first time now just don't see it.

Anyway, the game does start out slowly, yes. But once you get to chapter 3 or so, you get much more freedom to move around, and there's a lot more to do, and it becomes much more interactive. I think it's worth seeing through to the end.

Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically it. Forget everything you've seen in the reviews, wipe away your expectations and play it for yourself. It'll grow on you one way or another.

And welcome to the forum! Lovely to have a new member who isn't a spambot Very Happy
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

expectations can't be high enough for Terranigma because its the best game ever and is in itsself the definition of what a high expectations is.

Gems 45

PostCapitan Failure Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then, I will drop all expectations and keep going. I have no doubt I will love this game. Just gotta get to chapter 3 and see what it is all about.

The sad part is I accidentally read a spoiler that something attaches this game to Illusion of Gaia on the Island of Mu, which I missed at the beginning. So I am restarting my game to make sure I dont miss the two optional islands.

Other than that I know nothing, Im super excited to play the game. I am a long time gamer finding my roots, I recently started collecting snes games again and I was playing Soul Blazer and IoG when I went online to look something up, this site came up and I was like, "Why does this game site only have 3 games, how is Terranigma related to the other two?"

It was a great day when I discovered there was another quintet game.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't actually any story content on Mu, it's more to link the games together. And to get a special item.

Gems 45

PostCapitan Failure Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I am in the middle of chapter 3. Im starting to see why gameplay is arguably better than IoG. As of yet there arent any of the cool special moves you get in Iog, and pretty much doing the same attacks as the beginning of the game, but its really fun.

Music can also be argued to be the best of the series so far.

And Graphics, well thats a toss up. Gameplay graphics arent as good as its predecessor, but cut scenes are ridiculously good for the SNES.

Having lots of fun and very much addicted at this point.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Evil or Very Mad just as keikaku*!

*keikaku means plan

But really, I'm glad you're liking it more. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Capitan Failure

Gems 45

PostCapitan Failure Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol there is a secret plan?

I just got a Wii U for christmas and all I can think about is turning it off and playing Terranigma some more. Getting really fun

One thing I have noticed that is hindering my fun a tid bit though, I can tell the translations for this game werent done extremely well, I wonder if there is a better translated rom out there, sort of like Simons Redaction for Simons Quest.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnnnope, what's out there is the official European translation. Afaik no one's done a fan translation. If there is one, I've never seen it.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The official translation isn't the greatest. It does have its moments, though. Favourite one is...

[SPOILER]Beruga: "I do not know who you are, but I thank you for arousing me"[/SPOILER]
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Terranigma good? Certainly. Was it one of the best SNES games? Far from it.

Don't kill me.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazermint wrote:
Was Terranigma good? Certainly. Was it one of the best SNES games? Far from it.

Don't kill me.

Let me show you the door. I rate it in the top 10 snes games easily.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Capitan Failure

Gems 45

PostCapitan Failure Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I finished the game, got every item (Pretty much), evolved all the towns to the max, leveled up to level 42, and maxxed my gems out at 99999. Sadly doing all this only took 20 hours, but it was a very fun 20 hours. I agree I would put this in my top 10 SNES games.

No way is it better than FF6 though, if you like Terranigmas secrets and exploration aspect, you would love that game.

The ending left me sad, and Im not sure I fully grasped the story, someone wanna break it down for me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: