TerraEarth Forums

What Do You Play On?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:43 am   Post subject: What Do You Play On? Reply with quote

Might sound like a silly question, but I'm quite interested in knowing. When you play retro games, what do you usually play on? Original hardware? Clone consoles? Emulators? I know there used to be a lot of hatred towards clone systems, due to their cheap design and high failure rates.

In recent years, they've gotten better. In fact, the recently announced Retron 5 (NES, Super NES, Famicom, Super Famicom, Genesis, and Gameboy-Gameboy Advance) looks like something I'd be interested in grabbing, considering that they said 100 compatibility across all platforms.

Personally, I'm an original hardware kind of guy. I was turned off from clone hardware seeing several units have high failure rates, and there's nothing quite like playing the original game on original hardware, it's part of the mystique if you ask me.

So, what do you guys use when you retro game? Smile
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

prefer original hardware unless a new game system has backwards compatibility, like the GBA could with old gameboy, DS with GBA, PS2 with PSX, i'd go that way because by then the old game system would be on the brink of death anyway >w> doesn't take long to get used to button placement. sadly recent consoles dont do that so theres no choice but to use emulators if they don't work. the whole BIOS thing turns me off though because it's been complicating in the past. SNES only ever worked for me.

kind of interest in the retron 5 now.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sora-mage wrote:
prefer original hardware unless a new game system has backwards compatibility, like the GBA could with old gameboy, DS with GBA, PS2 with PSX, i'd go that way because by then the old game system would be on the brink of death anyway >w> doesn't take long to get used to button placement. sadly recent consoles dont do that so theres no choice but to use emulators if they don't work. the whole BIOS thing turns me off though because it's been complicating in the past. SNES only ever worked for me.

kind of interest in the retron 5 now.

Look it up sometime. They're adding a OS system to let you select between system (Less button failure) and also adds to the ability for easier compatibility. Their using Bluetooth wireless controllers... but leaving ports for NES, SNES and Genesis so you can use the original controllers as well. All in all I'm kinda impressed as well.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I use emulators and the Logitech F710, or an adapted Playstation 1 controller. I do actually own those consoles, but I can't be bothered to set them up with the living room TV.
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I use on-hardware emulators. On my Wii I've got NES and SNES emulators, plus a slightly glitchy N64 emulator. My Wii is an older model that still has GC compatibility, which is win. I've also got a DS flashcart with GB/GBC/GBA emulators.

So it mostly feels like the real deal.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, portability is the key factor. If I'm not playing on the original, i better be taking it with me. Emulators and mobile phone versions are my preference. Also started playing a bit with Wiis virtual console.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Emulator on my PC or on the android phone. sadly I don't own anymore consoles except for an N64 Sad
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a question about that. Aside from obvious things like formatting, language and the power supply are there any major differences between NTSC and PAL region consoles?

Edit: not counting like famicom vs nes

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Original hardware, with the only exception being officially licensed ports (Virtual Console, PS1 Classics). Mostly because button latency is a big deal to me, and PC emulators never feel authentic.

HOWEVER, the Retron 5 looks fantastic. If they really achieve full region-free on all 5 platforms, I'm buying it for importing.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Original hardware, with the only exception being officially licensed ports (Virtual Console, PS1 Classics). Mostly because button latency is a big deal to me, and PC emulators never feel authentic.

HOWEVER, the Retron 5 looks fantastic. If they really achieve full region-free on all 5 platforms, I'm buying it for importing.

I remember reading somewhere that the top loading NES is actually region free (obviously not Famicom). Anyone know if that's true?
This User Has Completed

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

AVGN had confirmed that multiple times. It plays both PAL and NTSC formatted games.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
I actually had a question about that. Aside from obvious things like formatting, language and the power supply are there any major differences between NTSC and PAL region consoles?

No, not really. The only differences are aesthetic (the PAL SNES looks different than the NTSC SNES as seen in my thread elsewhere) and the chipset/cartridge shape for SNES. PAL SNES looks more like the JP version does, and we got a weird... boxy one that isn't hella sexy. I think the cartridges have this weird way to lock out different region carts, but that's... really the only difference. Different TV signals and power supplies are about it otherwise.

For the record, I tried my PAL Terranigma in one of the older region-free SNES/NES hybrids and it didn't fit into the console. They're the same shape as a JP cart, but I guess they're slightly bigger. It was pretty damn sad. Sad

On topic, if I can't be assed to hook up my SNES or Genesis, I'll play it on an emulator. I can play all of my PS1 era games on polybob's PS3, so I'll do that instead of pull out my almost non-working ps1 ahaha.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

No, not really. The only differences are aesthetic (the PAL SNES looks different than the NTSC SNES as seen in my thread elsewhere) and the chipset/cartridge shape for SNES. PAL SNES looks more like the JP version does, and we got a weird... boxy one that isn't hella sexy. I think the cartridges have this weird way to lock out different region carts, but that's... really the only difference. Different TV signals and power supplies are about it otherwise.

For the record, I tried my PAL Terranigma in one of the older region-free SNES/NES hybrids and it didn't fit into the console. They're the same shape as a JP cart, but I guess they're slightly bigger. It was pretty damn sad. Sad

On topic, if I can't be assed to hook up my SNES or Genesis, I'll play it on an emulator. I can play all of my PS1 era games on polybob's PS3, so I'll do that instead of pull out my almost non-working ps1 ahaha.

PS1 near death? Why not pick up a another one? Most are going for twenty bucks these days.
This User Has Completed

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
inferiare wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

PS1 near death? Why not pick up a another one? Most are going for twenty bucks these days.

No point in buying a new one when I still have a console I can play them on.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
geekgirl101
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 110

Postgeekgirl101 Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I play on emulators either on my android, PSP, or laptop. I also have a handheld master system! Was a little something I picked up at The Gadget Show Live a couple of years ago, have an SD card with every single game that was ever released for the master system. I'm planning on redesigning the games room so that I can hook up all the old systems I have and play games retro style. My old systems that use tapes probably won't be able to play them no more since the data on tapes degrades over time, although I could probably copy the TAP files onto the tapes providing that the tape itself isn't ruined. The only other issue to worry about is the tape snarling up inside the tape deck, as it used to happen often, and the wires popping out of the back of the Spectrum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: