TerraEarth Forums

Feminism
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 pm   Post subject: Feminism Reply with quote

Okay, let me sum up my feelings on Feminism in one concise comic:

I don't believe that all feminists are "femnazis" but I feel like the movement has been hurt by these extremists just like any other belief system. The movement is no longer about female equality but female supremacy.

I am all for women's rights activists, but I believe these modern feminists are straying too far from their original ideas. Again, I realize this may very be just a very vocal minority, but when I see things like this:

It irks me.

Now in all fairness, there are other things that make me believe that feminism (at least in its original, noble intent) is still very necessary such as stuff like this:

Girl Attacked By Taliban For Going To School

But at the same time, in this country the feminist movement has essentially turned into "first world problems". Compare America to the plight that women suffer in other countries and some of their complaints seem pretty damn petty (verbiage, rights of feelings, getting offended by jokes, etc.), but others are still relevant even today (not getting equal pay, being expected to remain "housewives" etc.)

So I don't know maybe there should be a happy medium, but what do you think?

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'm going to say that I get equal pay in my workplace. I'd be making the same amount as a dude in my position (assistant manager of a department,) and I honestly think that if they see that they're not getting equal pay? Leave that job and go elsewhere. It's possible. Enough people leaving because they aren't being equal will get them set straight eventually.

Hell, I don't know of any work places that don't have equal pay now. :/ Unless they're bitching that they're not getting the same amount as a manager at entry-level.

Most people who are feminists are all right, I suppose. But like anything good (religion especially) it's the crazy bitches who make the rest of them look bad, and it's the crazy bitches that make me want to tell them to get off of their high horse and shut the hell up. Most anything that appears from the feminist movement makes me facepalm, and obviously for good reason - and I AM a girl. It makes me wonder what went through their heads when they do something completely asinine.

To be completely honest, I expect a lot of OH MY GOD YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF THE OPPRESSIVE MALE RAAAGH bullshit when I have a kid and have already made the decision to become a stay-at-home mom. Won't happen until well into the future, but it was my own choice to do so because I feel that a good connection with my child is a good thing. If someone views that as horrible male oppression, I invite them to take Thor up their ass and spin on it. (LINK IS OBVIOUSLY NOT SAFE FOR WORK AND POSSIBLY NOT SAFE FOR MIND you have been warned.)

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the workplace, every reasonably-sized company doesn't discriminate based on gender... not much anyway. If anything, it's ever so slightly biased towards women. I've heard (don't know 100%) that all else being equal (qualifications, interview performance, references) the woman will get the job.

I agree, feminism does have something in common with religion - although it's a perfectly fine thing to believe in, it's the rabid psychos who give it a bad image and ruin it for everyone else. I mean, there's nothing wrong with wanting equal treatment for both genders. It's only when people (and there are, unfortunately, enough like this) expect preferential treatment, because they think that whatever happens to be between their legs entitles them to it.

As for the housewife question - it's down to comfort. Obviously, since the woman is the one giving birth, she will have a harder time of getting back into the swing of things immediately after. However, there's no reason that she should be the one forced to stay at home.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but a lot of feminists who think that just because we popped out a kid doesn't mean that we can't jump right back into our jobs. Yeah, I probably could, considering my job ain't that hard to remember (I could legit do it in my sleep) but if I don't want to? I shouldn't be looked down upon because I'm letting a man do his job and I'm in the kitchen making a sandwich.

Plenty of women go back to work because they have to be able to make money to support their families and all, no problems. Costs less to have me at home taking care of my kid than to have someone else watch them while myself and dad are out working. That's how I see it at least. And when my child is old enough to stay at home for a couple of hours between me and their dad coming home? Maybe I'll get a job again. Or maybe I'll make money from home. Either way, the crazy ones that scream I'm just enforcing the stereotype will make me rip my hair out, I'm sure.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the sexist argument shoved down my throat being Mormon. There's a few things about us that feminists bitch about:

1. Women cannot hold the priesthood in our faith.
2. Men are expected to be the "heads of households"
3. Women are often stay-at-home moms and the man is the breadwinner.

Okay, I can see how that might sound really bad, but here's the thing:

1. Women have other ordinances that men cannot have.
2. Both Men and Women can serve as teachers, and give talks during sermons (we have a sort of lay-clergy where the speakers are just average joes who are picked to give a talk).
3. The "head of household" thing I've always viewed as men should be the one taking responsibility, not that they have absolute power and control. I do anything I can to help take care of Stef, but even if I was so inclined, she wouldn't take any of my shit like trying to tell her what to do, lol.

Also Mormon men are taught chivalry from a very young age and (as I'm sure ms. raini can attest to) Mormon men are usually the last people who are going to mistreat a woman.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao the Priesthood thing cracks me up. Relief Society is the woman's thing in the church, and they have plenty of other things they can do that hold just as much power. I roll my eyes a lot at that one, same with the "all men are the breadwinners!!!!!" crap. Ok, good for them??? they want to make sure their wife wants for nothing and she has everything she ever wants WHAT IS SO WRONG WITH THAT. I guess "BUT THAT MEANS SHE IS HELPLESS" but no, all that means is that your man sees you as his queen and he's going to make damn sure you're treated like one.

...though, now that I think of it, isn't that what they want/expect? Neutrala

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
geekgirl101
Level 3: Cadet

Gems 110

Postgeekgirl101 Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard an interesting story a few days ago about a feminist who was saying that baby boys should only be fed normal milk and baby girls should be fed breast milk because boys already have an advantage. She apparently rattled on about a bunch of other things that were ludicrous and when the guy she was talking to said she was crazy she called him a rapist.

From the way it seems feminists don't just want equality (especially since we already have it), they want more than their fair share and they keep on wanting more, no matter how ridiculous their demands are. They seem to think that men have the upper hand and therefore women should have far more benefits than men because men don't need it, and if you don't agree with them or tell them they're bat-shit crazy they get very aggressive about it.

Last edited by geekgirl101 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

geekgirl101 wrote:
I heard an interesting story a few days ago about a feminist who was saying that baby boys should only be fed normal milk and baby girls should be fed breast milk because boys already have an advantage. She apparently rattled on about a bunch of other things that were ludicrous and when the guy she was talking to said she was crazy she called him a rapist.

Yeah i heard that one too. I think sxephil mentioned it.

geekgirl101

Gems 110

Postgeekgirl101 Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it from someone in FFXI.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the other thing that bugs me: all dudes are rapists. Uh, no, they aren't. That's a moment of "get your head out of your ass" for real. Do guys have a moment of "yeah I'd like to bang that"? Sure. But a good chunk of them don't act on it and go on their merry way. Women have those moments too when we see a hot guy and think "yeah I'd like to jump his bones!"

If that's all it takes to be a rapist, then women are guilty of it too. Can you tell this issue makes me want to ram my head into a wall? Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but since women have that magical baby factory inbuilt, it automatically means any man who has sexual desires for another woman is evil, and a woman who has sexual desires for another man is just healthily "getting in touch with her sexuality" or some bullshit like that. I don't know.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will concede that women are magical creatures, but that doesnt allow double standards.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

just let them talk, there are more important things to worry about
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
Oh, but since women have that magical baby factory inbuilt, it automatically means any man who has sexual desires for another woman is evil, and a woman who has sexual desires for another man is just healthily "getting in touch with her sexuality" or some bullshit like that. I don't know.

Jason Tandro wrote:
Well I will concede that women are magical creatures, but that doesnt allow double standards.

It's like women forget that they can rape dudes too: guys who don't want to do the Thing, forcing a gay man, etc. Guess they forget that the super radical people who prescribe sex with a different sex to take the gay away (rant for another day, but) would constitute it as rape.

It's fine to lobby for justice against people who were getting off scot-free (see: Steubenville rape case, Rehtaea Parsons, etc) because no, we shouldn't be awarding that behaviour - no matter what gender/sex you are - with no consequences and all. But the super hardcore feminists take that five steps further and that's where I start Grumpy Cat facing at everyone. They want no double standards (equal pay for everyone, equality for everyone, etc) but the minute someone says "women can commit domestic violence too" or "women can rape too" it's a huge NO THEY DON'T.

If you want equality, stop denying that stuff happens. Women can beat the shit out of their husbands because their husbands don't believe that they should hit their wife because it's wrong. Sorry, but the blatant double standard there invalidates their point.

If I hit my soon-to-be husband, like ACTUAL hit him (not the play stuff of a tap on the cheek or a light smack on the arm) I would expect to be hit back. I guess I'm one of the more sane women in that regard.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

a real man can't get raped by a women. thinking like that puts you on one level with the feminists.

if you want to get over feminism the easiest way to do so is just to be manly.

if a feminist say they want to cut all mens dick off just be nice and let them state their opinion. if they want to be female bosses be nice and wish them good luck. get yourself a nice girlfriend, start a family and go to work. it's not like they are muslims or sth that interferes with your life.

they are just another group of people which feel alone and just want some attention to feel needed and loved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: