TerraEarth Forums

Top 10 Love Stories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:56 pm   Post subject: Top 10 Love Stories Reply with quote

My wife just got back from a two week trip to California, so I'm feeling especially romantic. Most of my top ten lists have been about music, so I want to be clear that I'm not talking about Love Themes, but the actually stories of the two characters in love themselves.

I am scrapping my one-game per franchise rule on this list, because I feel like it and it's my list so there.

Anyways, here are my top ten.

10. Will & Kara AND Lance & Lilly (Illusion of Gaia)

I know what you're thinking, how dare I put this one so low on the list. But the fact of the matter in the original edit of the game, what was the extent of Will and Kara's love story?

"Will found himself developing feelings for Kara."

What impressed me about this were a few things though. First, it was one of the first actual love stories that I ever saw in a video game (not just hero saves princess). It was downplayed, but it was definitely there. Another thing was that Kara wasn't just a love interest, but she actually served a purpose to the plot. That's not uncommon nowadays, but at that point in video games it was a relatively new concept.

That being said, I feel like Lance and Lilly's love story deserves some mention to. A bit extraneous perhaps, but I do have to give them credit, Lance and Lilly's love story was much better developed. The way the game is played, Will is our only character that we control so we view their love story from a distance and don't actually play a part in it (except for, you know, the Great Wall of China thing).

I feel like if they had taken the time and energy with Lance and Lilly's love and also kept the elements I liked about Will & Kara's love, it would have ranked higher on the list. Each one has what the other lacks.

9. Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X)

Tidus was an annoying bastard, and Yuna was not better, especially in X-2 where she traded in her personality for a skimpy wardrobe. But when they're on, they're really on. There are times in Final Fantasy X where I can look at Tidus and go "well, I wish you would stop impersonating Elijah Wood... but you're okay buddy."

Tidus and Yuna are really good for each other because they really are opposite characters. Tidus is a ridiculous free-spirit who has no qualms about rules and does whatever he wants all with the confidence that comes from acting that way. Sure he has the occassional emotional breakdown but that's not really the core of his character. He has daddy issues, that's all.

Yuna, on the other hand, is serious to a fault and always tries to find the peaceful and orderly solution to any problem no matter how serious. She is down-to-earth. In X-2 when she acts more aloof, it is because she is trying to emulate some of the properties of the man she loved, who she believes to be gone forever. As silly a game as X-2 was at times, I have to admit that the payoff when you got the Perfect Ending in X-2 was the best possible way to end that story.

There are those who argue against X-2 on the grounds that it was just that people can't handle a sad ending. I can see the merit in that argument. But of all the heroes in Final Fantasy who deserve a deus ex machina resurrection, I'd say it's the character who actively fights to achieve the end of his own life just so that his love won't have to sacrifice hers. Good on you Tidus. Now stop crying.

8. Link and Zelda (Ocarina of Time)

There are many incarnations of the Link and Zelda paradigm. One thing that a lot of people choose to forget is that (with the exception of Skyward Sword), there is never an overt romantic subplot between the two characters. Now in Ocarina of Time, Link basically has a honey in every race. Saria wants him, Ruto wants him, Nabooru tells his adult version that if they were closer in age, she'd want him. Hell the dude even has a bromance with Darunia and the Goron Link.

But there is a subtextual relationship between Link and Zelda that is explored more thoroughly in Ocarina than in any other Zelda game (again, sans Skyward Sword). Maybe it wasn't love per se, but the two started out as complete strangers and then as childhood friends who were working towards a goal far greater than either of them. As adults, they become closer to comrades, albeit unknowingly as Zelda appears before Link as Shiek for the most part.

Link saves Zelda from Ganon and the two part ways creating the crux point of the fabled Zelda Timeline, but in reality there was really no reason for Zelda to send Link back except to allow him to relive the years that he had lost while saving Hyrule. Maybe its not romantic love, but only a great love like that would cause Zelda to make such a noble and selfless decision... even if it does unwittingly bring about the eminent demise of her kingdom and all life. Good move, princess.

7. Ark & Elle (Terranigma)

Admittedly I haven't gotten too far in Terranigma but the fact of the matter is the love story between these two is very well done, and it can be approached in a very unique way because of the nature of the game. They are together in the Underworld, and then when the world begins to revive itself, what brings them back together but sheer chance.

I mean she doesn't even know who he is when she meets him again. That creates a level of story-telling potential which I found fascinating. Again since I haven't gotten too far in this, I can't say much about it, but I really like what I saw, and I think it deserves a mention.

6. Sniper Wolf & Otacon (Metal Gear Solid)

Meryl was the whiny rookie and the funbags for our protagonist, Solid Snake. That was it. She had the personality of Tomb Raider 1 era Lara Croft and the skills of Johnny Sasaki from this game series. She was not an interesting character, no matter how many dramatic monologues you give her.

You know what character did intrigue me? Sniper Wolf. Her relationship with Otacon was amazing even though it was mostly off-screen. Just the idea that a complete wimp like him could attract a woman like Sniper Wolf (though to be fair we're not entirely certain if she fully reciprocated his love) is a testament to geekdom everywhere.

I'd argue that it was also downright ballsy to have a woman be the alpha of the relationship, but this game came out in the 90s, not the 70s. But the love story wasn't just what did it for me. The character of Sniper Wolf: who she was, how she got here, why she did what she did. That was heart-breaking and in a sense it's actually foreshadowing Otacon's development in MGS2.

This scene always gets me a little teary-eyed whenever I play the game. It's very well-written and well-paced, which is a habit that Kojima sadly got out of as the series went on (okay, Sniper Wolf and Otacon's dialogue is good... Snake continues to be awkward action hero dialogue unit 101). I think the music also plays a big part in this scene (imagine that, Jason Tandro talking about video game music!)

We see in later games how much this sequence tears Otacon apart inside and even though Sniper Wolf doesn't appear (except in spirit in MGS4) we can tell that this moment still causes Otacon such torment. And sometimes the best love stories aren't happy at all, but heart-wrenching tragedies like this one.

5. Sora & Kairi (Kingdom Hearts)

Another "young love" couple is on this list, but I think with the possible exception of Rena & Claude, no other couple goes through nearly as much surreal crap together as Sora & Kairi from Kingdom Hearts. And its another relationship where the love interest isn't just a reward for the hero, but a major plot device... at least in the first game.

We see their love bloom in sort of a minor way and from then on its pretty obvious where they stand, so we don't really get an arc from these two.

That said... THIS FREAKING SCENE. You spend the entire game trying to save her and you get torn apart, presumably stuck apart with the separation of the worlds forever. I mentioned before that sad endings really work to help cinch a love story, and this really worked for Sora & Kairi's arc. I think it deserves some credit.

4. Claude & Rena (Star Ocean: The Second Story)

What a shock, yes I know. Let's move on. Claude and Rena are an interesting couple because their love stems out of not how they are different, but how they are the same. "Opposites attract" is usually the rule in love stories, but Claude and Rena are drawn together at a time when they both feel like outcasts. They are outcasts together.

Depending on how you play, the romance can bloom earlier or later, but the big scene that pretty much clinches it (even if your games ending has Claude / Rena end up with somebody else, or not at all) is the scene at the Heraldic Weapon Lab, where (SPOILERS!) Rena discovers that she will never find her true family, the whole reason that she started the journey with Claude to begin with. She is an outcast not just in space, but in time as well. At the pit of despair, Claude becomes that thing that Rena can hold on to and call her own.

Its moments like that which make me truly love this game. It's story-telling at its absolute best and one of the reasons why Star Ocean: The Second Story is one of my all-time favorite games.

3. Locke & Celes (Final Fantasy VI)

I have to admit, I have nothing more to say than what is mentioned by Jared Knabenbauer of ScrewAttack in this video. Really he sums up my feelings about this romance perfectly. He even mentions the music!

Incidentally if you're wondering what he means about the music, skip to 6:12 on this video.

2. Chrono & Marle (Chrono Trigger)

Let's just get this out of the way. I love their theme song. It's one of the best love themes in all video games.

Their relationship is also a really fun one to watch bloom. And not just because it follows the archetypes we see in other love stories:

- tough girl breaks down her defenses and allows herself to be vulnerable with a man
- tough girl goes to great lengths to save her man
- guy and girl don't get along at first but fall in love
- girl is really bossy and annoying but they fall in love.

Wait a minute... it just occurred to me while writing this, but you know what other couple follows a similar story arc? Han Solo & Leia It is a well-established fact that Square was a big fan of the Star Wars movies (the good ones) and this may have led to a lot of the development we see in Chrono and Marle.

What makes their love so unique is that depending on how you play, they will either end up together or Marle will mourn the loss of her love. Either way works from a story-telling dynamic and this one deserves the number 2 spot for sure.

So, what beats out all these others?

1. Squall & Rinoa (Final Fantasy 8 )

Shut up. I have nothing to apologize for. Haters gonna hate.

Final Fantasy 8 is the only Final Fantasy to date where the entire story focuses around the love story, with the possible exception of Final Fantasy X. Squall and Rinoa are also the best written and most relatable couple in the Final Fantasy series, mostly because of the (mostly) realistic tone of the game.

I mean come on so many memorable scenes. Probably my favorite, just for the music and the internal monologue is this scene on the bridge. Squall shows his humanity in a very sincere way which you don't often get with Final Fantasy love stories. There's really no big flashy speech or gimmicks (sure there's a bit of that later in the game), but in this scene Rinoa isn't even conscious. Squall is just talking to her, hoping beyond hope that she'll hear some of what he has to say and revealing a side of him that we could have only guessed at up until this point.

So yeah, there I said it. Squall and Rinoa: OTP.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with some of those... as you'll see in my list. Some... not so much.

Oh, what do you know. I'm going to get a Top 10 list for once... Wow.

Anyway, let's go:

10. Claude and Rena (Star Ocean 2)

Before I go on, I have to say I played the PSP version. The one with voice acting and proper grammar. Not too much to say about this one that Jason already hasn't - and to be fair, I wouldn't have had much to say other than the fact that I enjoyed this story, as I managed to stretch it out over so damn long that I forgot half of it.

9. Cloud & Aeris (Final Fantasy 7)

Alright, let's start drawing hate early in the list. There was definitely something here. For Aeris, she saw her first love - Zack. For Cloud, he saw... well, probably also Zack. He was a bit messed up. It could have also had something to do with his own unstable state of mind and that Aeris consistently accepts him, despite everything he does. The biggest scene like this was where Sephiroth takes control of Cloud at the temple. It's a shame the story is cut so short, seeing as... you know, she kind of gets impaled at the end of Disc 1... Anyway. Onwards.

8. Zidane and Garnet (Final Fantasy 9)

Oh hey, 2 Final Fantasy games in a row. Not as much to say about this one though. Could be how first Garnet needs to recover from a mental breakdown, and leans on Zidane.. then Zidane leans on Garnet when he needs it. The ending is nice, and the scene with this song (even thought it isn't strictly Garnet and Zidane), is awesome.

7. Luke & Tear (Tales of the Abyss)

Ok, I haven't even finished this game yet, and it's already on this list. I like their interactions because it shows how much their characters have developed. Luke starts off as an arrogant little shit, and Tear as a mystery girl you know nothing about. While Luke gets to be less of a little shit, you actually find out Tear's personality. And as the story progresses, there are hints that the two like each other. Mostly in the reactions to each other, and in conversations with others. It might be in part that the amount of character development in this game is insane - I've been watching every optional conversation scene I can, and some serve no purpose other that to show you the bickering between the main characters. It's quite amusing. Similar in concept to Star Ocean's Private Actions, but less clunky.

6. Ark & Elle (Terranigma)

This is a really neat story - the way it's presented. At the start, the two are clearly friends. Their interactions in the first chapter seem innocent enough, but it's clear that there's something more there. Then... later on in the story, on the surface world - ...

Wait, how many people here haven't actually finished Terranigma?

Enter the Spoiler Text...

Quote:
... when Ark meet's "Light" Elle, and is disappointed that she is so different. It could be something about the nature of the lightside/darkside counterparts in this game, but Light Elle starts to warm up to Ark as well. And then the opening scene to Chapter 4... Wow. Just wow. No more really needs to be said.

End Spoiler. Also, Elle has some awesome theme music.

5. Justin and Feena (Grandia)

Depending on how many of my Top X lists you've read, you'll always see 3 games/series there. So far, we've had 2 of them, with this being the second. I'm a great fan of the Grandia series so far, having played 2 out of 4 games, with the 3rd sitting on my shelf right now waiting for the appropriate device to magically appear in my room.

Anyway, to the story. The characters in this game are a bit younger than your average RPG (Justin is 14), but in this case, it just means that you get more childish and immature scenes early, and a much greater personal development throughout the story. There's a great scene towards the end of the game where Justin thinks that Feena has died, and realises the extent of his feelings for her. He proceeds to rage really hard.

Plus, at the end, you're told that Justin and Feena go off on a ten year adventure and come back with many, many babies. (I kid you not, in the 10-years-later epilogue they have 7 miniature versions of themselves running around)

4. Gohan and Videl - Dragonball Z

Alright, so this isn't even a game. Come at me. I've been watching this saga recently, and I really like it.

But onwards to the point - initially, there's nothing here at all. Gohan is the awkward new kid at school.. Being somewhat talented in the field of saving the world, Gohan becomes a superhero, and has to save Videl's ass a few times (she's quite into the whole crime-fighting thing herself, too). Instead of being grateful and just leaving it at that, she insists on unmasking Gohan (who calls himself the Great Saiyaman). When she finally does, she blackmails him into fighting in the upcoming martial arts tournament, and into teaching her how to fly. Somewhere along the line she's also started to like him. And again, she realises exactly how much when she thinks he's dead. Yay.

3. Squall and Rinoa (Final Fantasy Cool

Yep, this one is high up. I agree with pretty much every point Jason made here as well. There are quite a few memorable scenes, although for me one of the most memorable is the SeeD Ball. The start of it all. Rinoa wants to pass the time until she could pester Cid, and Squall didn't care enough to refuse. So, the two dance.

There are many more scenes which depict their story - the scene where Squall carries Rinoa to Esthar, the scene when the two land on the Ragnarok...

2. Maxim & Selan (Lufia II)

Here it is. Everyone's been expecting this to show up. And it isn't even #1. I'll be honest, it's the ending to this game that skyrockets this position to this high. Everything about the ending to this game is amazing, and it's also one of the saddest videogame endings I've ever played.

Also, you don't often see two main characters get married in a game, either. That's something, right?

So... we had Lufia II at number 2... what could have topped that? Well...

1. Ryudo and Elena - Grandia II

This. That's what. Grandia II. I really like these two characters. Ryudo starts off as a bit arrogant and uncaring. He's also quite funny. Elena, on the other hand, is a snooty church girl who has the misfortune end up in a nasty pickle due to a sealing ceremony gone bad, and has to rely on Ryudo (a brutish, uncivilized mercenary, by her reckoning) for protection. Their interactions at the start revolve mostly around Elena's disapproval of Ryudo for whatever reason, and Ryudo's I-dont-give-a-shit attitude. Later on we find out that, of course, Ryudo's attitude is all a facade to hide a traumatic past, etc etc.

There's also the standard scene where one of the pair nearly dies (Ryudo) and the other realizes exactly how much they love him/her... But hey, if it works (i think it appears in at least half of the above), why not?
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:

2. Maxim & Selan (Lufia II)

Here it is. Everyone's been expecting this to show up. And it isn't even #1. I'll be honest, it's the ending to this game that skyrockets this position to this high. Everything about the ending to this game is amazing, and it's also one of the saddest videogame endings I've ever played.

Also, you don't often see two main characters get married in a game, either. That's something, right?

This will always be my number 1. So many feels, especially at the end of the games. SO MANY FEELS.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of compiling a list at Jason's request, but I have a lot of them. I know exactly who my number one is, so the easy part is done. Laughing

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
geekgirl101
Level 3: Cadet

Gems 110

Postgeekgirl101 Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My most hilarious "romantic" encounter was with a game on the NES called Dizzy the Adventurer. The sequence took place in a bedroom in The Tallest Tower and went like this:

Daisy: Where am I?
Dizzy: Can't you remember? We were looking for Pogie when...
Daisy: Oh, I remember, I pricked my finger on the spinning wheel.
Dizzy: Yes and you fell asleep. Then Boris locked me up and carried you away.
Daisy: You're so brave Dizzy, to rescue me from that evil wizard.
Dizzy: I would do anything to save you Daisy.
Daisy: Oh Dizzy!
Dizzy: Oh Daisy!
Daisy: Oh Dizzy!
Dizzy: Oh Daisy!
Daisy: Oh Dizzy! You're my hero.
Dizzy: Come on let's get out of here before Zaks catches us.

The sequence ends with Daisy at the side of the bed making kissing motions and Dizzy standing next to her with a very big cheesy grin on his face.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

When i think Dizzy, I think that British PC game with the character who looks like a giant egg. Is this game any relation?

geekgirl101

Gems 110

Postgeekgirl101 Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's part of the game series. It made big hits on the PC, Amiga, Atari, Amstrad, Spectrum and C64. A couple of games came out also on the NES and Sega consoles but they didn't make as many for those since those systems had only a short lifespan.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing a lot of the old DOS games. Those were very very cool. Did you ever play King's Quest?

geekgirl101

Gems 110

Postgeekgirl101 Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, never heard of that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: