TerraEarth Forums

Unusual Work Shifts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:40 am   Post subject: Unusual Work Shifts Reply with quote

So yeah, I've been working an old favorite of mine. The Split Shift. I work 9 AM to 1 PM and then come back at 6 PM and work til 10 PM (or sometimes 11 if we need overtime help).

I really like this shift for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm there during busy times so I feel like I'm being useful.
(There are periods at work during midday where I can go almost 15 minutes without getting a call and while that's kind of awesome it also makes the day drag out and makes me feel unproductive)

2. I get a big 5 hour break in the day.
(I live 5 minutes from work so that means I get to come home, play Skyrim, get online, do whatever comes to my mind, and then I still have like an hour before I have to go back.)

3. The work feels less demanding since it's broken up.
(It's more like working two half-days than a full 8 or 9 hour day, which may be minor but at the same time psychologically it's a huge difference.)

4. I feel more productive overall.
(Again it may be all psychological, but I really feel way more productive when I work this shift.)

And this is the guy who used to work a graveyard shift, so I've seen my fair share of odd shifts. Anybody else work anything like this? What's your favorite kind of work shift?

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I seem to do my best work in short bursts. So when I used to work at a supermarket, the rare times I'd get a 6-7 hour shift would be nice. I got about an hour's worth of break, so I'd split it by working for an hour, take a 10-15 minute break, rinse and repeat. It gave me something to aim for each time, which was nice.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

in germany all daily life is centered around an 8 hour working day, so i'd rather have that than working in shift. best is to have a short way to work, start at 6.30 am and finish around 3 Very Happy
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't think I'll ever be fully happy in my shifts Laughing I work 9am-6pm every day (or lately, it's been 9:30am-6pm); pros being that I get to sleep until 8am, and... that's about it. Mainly because I have no time to do anything else during the day as I'm at work during most business hours for a lot of places.

BUT because I'm the assistant manager of my department, it means I work my boss's schedule when she's on vacation or taking a day off. Her shift is 6am-2:30pm. Con is having to wake up at 5:15am on the days that I work her shift, but the pros outweigh that: I'm out on the floor working for 90% of the day (other 10% is when my desk opens at 8am for bill pay until 9 or 9:30 when someone else gets there, and covering for lunches) which is something I vastly prefer, and the fact that I get out early for a lot of things. I can run errands, I can hit up my chiropractor if my neck is giving me grief, etc.

Ideally, I'd love to make my own schedule or work from home so I could sleep in and get paid Laughing but well, they haven't made a workplace like that yet.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:

Ideally, I'd love to make my own schedule or work from home so I could sleep in and get paid Laughing but well, they haven't made a workplace like that yet.

Congress.

Or you could try to become an author.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:

Software Engineering.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics would make me want to bash heads in and I can't really do software engineering. I am, however, working on the author thing. So I just have to hope I strike it big and make something on par with Twilight or Harry Potter.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
I strike it big and make something on par with Twilight or Harry Potter.

inferiare wrote:
make something on par with Twilight or Harry Potter

inferiare wrote:
on par with Twilight or Harry Potter

inferiare wrote:
on par with Twilight

Wink Very Happy

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can make a better love story than Twilight, but if I wanna be rolling in cash I better make it popular. Razz

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Anyone can make a better love story than Twilight, but if I wanna be rolling in cash I better make it popular. Razz

Easiest way to make a ton of money writing:

A) Vampires in love with humans
B) Fantasy about walking really far distances
C) Sex. Because it sells.
D) Vampires walking far distances to have sex with humans.

I think if you go with the D then you're in business. Ain't nothing hard about the D, anyone could do it. Anyone. Even me. It could go something like this:

Tedward looks to Stella, and says "You're all like... human."

Stella sighs. "Yeah. Do you want to eat me?"

Tedward speaks, in a brooding tone. "Yes, you look like a tasty treat."

Stella signs, and looks at him with sympathetic eyes. "It's okay, you can eat me."

Tedward stalks, still broodingly. "If thats what you want." Tedward consumes Stella in one giant gulp, and begins to choke on her teeny-bop bullshit. He falls to the ground dead.

(This is a rough outline but please feel free to use it if you like Very Happy)
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao A+, and it's even a better love story than Twilight! Laughing

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
lmao A+, and it's even a better love story than Twilight! Laughing

A picture of me staring at a Twinkie is a better love story than twilight... kinda like a prisoner of war kind of thing. The Twinkie had been missing and presumed dead... but then returns in dramatic fashion. There will not be a dry eye in the room- or a lack of delicious golden spongey-cake goodness.

(I was planning on adding a picture here of me looking lovingly at a Twinkie- then I realized I don't have any. Saving this idea for later)
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really argue there; any story is a better love story than Twilight.

Not going to lie, I've seen all five. With alcohol. And a lot of MST3K-esque jokes. The last 15 minutes of the last movie is actually decent. People are getting their heads ripped off and stuff. Only reason to like it. Laughing

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
I can't really argue there; any story is a better love story than Twilight.

Not going to lie, I've seen all five. With alcohol. And a lot of MST3K-esque jokes. The last 15 minutes of the last movie is actually decent. People are getting their heads ripped off and stuff. Only reason to like it. Laughing

I sat through the last ten minutes of the... fourth movie? It was on HBO and I was waiting for Prometheus to come on. I had been in on the joke of those films being bad, but I had no idea until I watched one of them. I remember seeing a lot of wolves running around, talking to each other with really horrible voice-overs. Also, Tedward bit Stella multiple times... which didn't make sense to me.

They also starting talking some whack jive about Venom... I was really hoping a certain symbiotic badass in black was going to come on screen and kill everybody. Alas, all we got was a freaky looking baby and a 26 year old playing 17 having some sort of psycho-sexual connection. It was just... creepy. And bad. In fact, we need a word thats worse than bad. Like bad wrong. Or badong. Yes, this film was badong.
This User Has Completed

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The fourth movie was hilarious with some alcohol. MAGICAL VAMPIRE VENOM SAVES BELLA OMG!!!!11 is their deus ex machina.

I love how this went from a weird work shift thread to crappy vampire novels/movies. Laughing sorry Jase, par for the course on TE I guess.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: