TerraEarth Forums

Do You Believe In The Paranormal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
I'd say it should be the same for both. I do sometimes get a bit uncomfortable when someone starts talking about their belief in God, for example. Although, to be fair, it's usually because the only people who start up on that topic are the ones who I least enjoy talking to about that kind of thing.

It's like that quote - "People who share their beliefs with you rarely want you to do the same". Or maybe it's just me.

On the topic of the supernatural though, it's almost guaranteed to be a more interesting conversation than religion.

Religion is very hard to discuss. I remember years ago it was frowned upon discussing it even here- flame wars galore broke out over it. I think cooler heads prevailed in most cases, but I can understand, both the paranormal and religion can be uneasy subjects, especially if you have a both a believer and a severe skeptic involved.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:
I'd say it should be the same for both. I do sometimes get a bit uncomfortable when someone starts talking about their belief in God, for example. Although, to be fair, it's usually because the only people who start up on that topic are the ones who I least enjoy talking to about that kind of thing.

It's like that quote - "People who share their beliefs with you rarely want you to do the same". Or maybe it's just me.

On the topic of the supernatural though, it's almost guaranteed to be a more interesting conversation than religion.

Religion is very hard to discuss. I remember years ago it was frowned upon discussing it even here- flame wars galore broke out over it. I think cooler heads prevailed in most cases, but I can understand, both the paranormal and religion can be uneasy subjects, especially if you have a both a believer and a severe skeptic involved.

propably depends on the country/culture. I learned in an international behaviour seminary (or sth) that there are certain countries where certain subjects you shouldn't talk about. it was religion in the US for example, Jews in Germany and so on.

it's very common to debate about religion where I'm from, and paranormal things are nothing out of the ordinary either. the difference is: believing in religion is considered normal, in paranormal things not. I can imagine the US being more open minded towards the latter, at least from what I learned in Hollywood movies Very Happy
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 65

Postcleeem Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't imagine I would post in such a topic, but it's to have 10 posts (to enable link feature). It is a pleasure to post here! ^^

The best thing I've read on the subject with great joy is the book:
Phantoms Afoot: Journeys into the Night
from Mary Summer Rain
Smile

Otherwise my feeling on the paranormal is summarized in the life observed following the model of water (living organisms contain a lot of it).
By heating too much a block of ice (solid aspect of the earth), it becomes liquid (water), then gaseous (air), before becoming energy (fire).

Earth/Water/Air/Fire: when life goes faster, when everything accelerates, it is less dense, it seems to no longer exist. This is a good definition of paranormal for me. Wink

When the density of energy increases, when everything seems cold and dead, and when crystallization occurs, then our five senses can observe it more easily (otherwise it seems elusive).

Some fun.
Earth, possibility to go without food for a few weeks.
Water, possibility to go without water for a few days.
Air, possibility to go without air for a few minutes.
Fire, after a quarter of a second without heat in the heart, it is death.

Whether defined as paranormal or not, I am not interested in the magical side of things. But if there is Love in it, it makes me happy and then, welcome to whatever comes along! Cool The rest is not important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: