TerraEarth Forums

Console Ranking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:18 am   Post subject: Console Ranking Reply with quote

Kind of a top ten list, I suppose in that you can call it the top ten consoles, but really it's more just where various consoles fall on my personal list of which is the best.

My primary focus here is on the console's game library. technology and side-features will generally not be the focus here.

10. Sega Genesis

I'll give this a mention, mainly because I love the original Sonic games. It will also remain lowest on this list because these are the only Sega Genesis games that I really like.

9. Wii

While the Wii has some pretty cool games, it's got a very narrow game library for me. WiiFit, SSBB, Zelda: Twilight Princess and WiiSports. That's pretty much all I need. Oh, and the Ju-On Haunted House Simulator. That's pretty cool.

8. Gamecube

Strap in because the next 3 entries are also Nintendo models. In fact, Nintendo dominates the list. Because it's Nintendo. And the Gamecube had some kickass titles. Zelda Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Super Smash Bros Melee, Simpsons Hit and Run, Vexx, and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door.

7. Gameboy

The brick earns a spot because of three crucial titles: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Pokemon Red / Blue. There were plenty other awesome titles for gameboy (I personally liked Lego Racing and Little Nicky) but these three titles sucked up so much of my time.

6. N64
Ah, classic. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Snap (eff you, I liked it), GoldenEye, and one that I really really liked Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer (again, eff you I like it).
And this is just a very small fraction of what the N64 offered.

5. XBOX360
Some folks may prefer the original but all it really had (awesome though they were) was Halo and Halo 2. XBOX360 has so many essential games that I had a tough time not placing it HIGHER on the list. Oblivion, Skyrim, Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto IV, Fallout 3, Fable 2, A whole SLEW of XBLA classics. Star Wars Force Unleashed, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo Wars, Halo 4, I mean I could go on forever about the classic titles and honestly it's the console that I've got the most games that I have played and enjoyed. It's only kept at the number 5 spot because the below entries have just as many heavy hitters, but they also have nostalgia factor going for them.

4. NES

Okay, now we're getting serious. The freakin' Nintendo Entertainment System. Zelda, Mario Brothers, Mega Man, Ice Blade, Pirates! hell even not so good games like The Punisher. These are household names and the NES is what brought video games back from the grave. Definitely deserves a place this high. So what's higher?

3. Playstation 2

I'm sorry, I know, I have to turn in my Retro Gamer's card, but I'm sorry, I really preferred the Playstation 2's game library over the NES's game library. There were just too many essential titles for me. FFX, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Ratchet and Clank, Dynasty Warriors 3, Wild Arms 3, Xenosaga, Dokapon Kingdom, NCAA '08, Shin Megami Tensei, and many many more games like it. Edit by teh kween: sorry, Shin Megumi Tensei was going to bother me if I didn't change it to Shin Megami Tensei!!

2. SNES

I'm probably getting some nasty looks for not making this number one, but if it's any consolation it's a very narrow race. And come on, SNES has, oh I don't know, the Soul Blazer Trilogy. Let's also factor in Link To The Past, probably the best Zelda Game Ever, Final Fantasy 6, Probably the best Final Fantasy, Mega Man X, the best Mega Man ever. Everything that SNES did, it did best. Super Mario World... well okay SMB3 was still better, but SMW was good too! And of course you've got other classics like Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario Kart. Good times, good times.

1. Playstation

I don't suppose I earned back my retro gamer card, huh? Again, I'm sorry, but seriously, this is my opinion. What can be said about the PS that hasn't been said already? Let's see. Final Fantasy 7 through 9, Spyro The Dragon, Medieval, Final Fantasy Tactics, Coolboarders, Threads of Fate, Star Ocean 2, Gran Turismo, Test Drive 5, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Digimon World, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 through 3, and the list just keeps on going. I'm sorry, I love the SNES and NES with all my heart, but for my money, I'd have to stick with that silly little disk-top-loader.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make a list like this, but it would be so Nintendo-heavy it wouldn't be fair. By that, I mean it would pretty much be SNES and all the handhelds before the 3DS (there isn't a Pokemon on the 3DS yet Razz )

Edit: Oh and PSX and PS2 would be there, so much RPG goodness.
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would've put the NES in first place (I do own over 600 games for it so I suppose I am kind of partial to it, wouldn't you say?)

I would be hard to judge these systems, they all have quality games that have their own merits. Our lists would pretty much contain the same systems only in different orders, save for Wii, which I still have yet to own.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

/Rates systems based on quality of library.

/Nintendo DS is not in the Top 3-5.

Sorry, your list is invalid.

01)PlayStation 2
02)Nintendo DS
03)PlayStation
04)Super Nintendo Entertainment System
05)Xbox 360

I can't quite make a Top 10, because I'm not intimately familiar with the library of enough consoles.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Snes
2. N64
3. Ps2
4. Ds
5. 360

Almost put 3 ds up there but not enough games yet. Might be my number Ine in a few years, getting a lot more attention from me then anything else this year

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: