TerraEarth Forums

It saddens me to see this place inactive :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Limne
Level 2: Whisp

Gems 119

PostLimne Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the site itself could use some work. It's getting to be a bit dated and there are definitely features it lacks. Just looking at the Soul Blazer page, for instance:

- No section for box art and packaging
- No section for manuals (English or Japanese), nor translations
- No text dump
- No SPC or RSN music
- You have to go to Extras > Emulation to find the Roms

Nor is the site itself necessarily ideal for browsing. Considering it's mostly a repository for information pertaining to games a wiki-platform might work better. This would also encourage greater community input and participation.

I would likewise prefer to see the two Actraisers included on the site. I think it's fair to say that Soul Blazer has more in common with Actraiser in terms of story and theme than it does Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma. The Quintet Oeuvre is best appreciated, in my opinion, as a whole.

Anyway, with all due respect, I think the community could use a bit of a shake-up.
Raylazor

Gems 83

PostRaylazor Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Limne wrote:
Personally, I think the site itself could use some work. It's getting to be a bit dated and there are definitely features it lacks. Just looking at the Soul Blazer page, for instance:

- No text dump
- No SPC or RSN music

Nor is the site itself necessarily ideal for browsing. Considering it's mostly a repository for information pertaining to games a wiki-platform might work better. This would also encourage greater community input and participation.

I would likewise prefer to see the two Actraisers included on the site. I think it's fair to say that Soul Blazer has more in common with Actraiser in terms of story and theme than it does Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma. The Quintet Oeuvre is best appreciated, in my opinion, as a whole.

Anyway, with all due respect, I think the community could use a bit of a shake-up.

I can agree with what you've said, but in the end: Is it worth the effort to put the time into updating? These games are old, and relatively unknown. It's not very likely that a full site update will generate enough traffic to make it worth it.
The whole would have to be done as a labour of love.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Raylazor wrote:
Limne wrote:

- No text dump
- No SPC or RSN music

I can agree with what you've said, but in the end: Is it worth the effort to put the time into updating? These games are old, and relatively unknown. It's not very likely that a full site update will generate enough traffic to make it worth it.
The whole would have to be done as a labour of love.

That's basically what we did back in 2009/10 when we overhauled the main site. Jason Tandro and myself updated the information as best we could in our spare time to make it what it is now. True, it could benefit from a lot more information, but I doubt Jason or I would be able to find the time anymore. Someone else would have to take up the mantle.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, honestly. The site update in 2010 was actually the last time this forum was truly active.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
That's basically what we did back in 2009/10 when we overhauled the main site. Jason Tandro and myself updated the information as best we could in our spare time to make it what it is now. True, it could benefit from a lot more information, but I doubt Jason or I would be able to find the time anymore. Someone else would have to take up the mantle.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, honestly. The site update in 2010 was actually the last time this forum was truly active.

As I see it, there are two barriers to attracting more people. One is the general lack of content on the main site. Okay, there are equipment lists and some other stuff, but I think people are looking for more than that, in particular for on-website walkthroughs that aren't purely walls of text. The second is that the scope of the website is pretty narrow: 3 old games. They are great games, but how long can you talk about these 3 games? Most of the forum activity is based around all the other games we are playing. It might work if the site to include more non-standard RPGs (i.e. action RPGs, or even action adventure games and traditional RPGs with non-standard battle systems (like Chrono Trigger).

Of course, this all requires a ton of work, and whether or not it's worth the effort is a legitimate question. IF something is to be done, I'd say the priority should be to get up walkthroughs for the whole trilogy with pictures, preferably bulletpoint-based, concise instructions rather than walls of text. I'd be willing to write such a walkthrough for one of the games, but only if others jump on the boat and do the other two games.

If in a year we have done that and we are feeling even more ambitious, we could look into adding pages for other games. They don't need to have walkthroughs, I think that's mainly important for the SB trilogy. But perhaps the pages could contain a description of the game, some videos, and maybe the opportunity for forum members to post their reviews of these games.

I'm just pouring ideas out of the top of my head, though.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those decisions would be up to boxxle, seeing as how he's the Big Man In Charge. He could delegate it to the members who are interested in doing that for him, but he's ultimately the one to create the pages. He has expressed interest in doing that though, but we'd have to get him to stop lurking Razz

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of terraearth. It has a very 90s retro feel.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
Limne

Gems 119

PostLimne Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the site powered anyway? It makes quite a difference being able to edit something with a decent back-end.

One of the reasons I'd suggest a wiki-like platfom is so we don't have to go through any hierarchy of recruitment and implementation to keep the site updating - perhaps we can limit update rights to forum contributors as I believe TASvideos does. Speaking just for myself, if I found something cool (I have or can get all the resources I listed in my previous post) I'd probably upload it if there was a way to do so and it wasn't a huge hassle.

I don't think it's unreasonable that a site dedicated to these old Quintet games could receive a respectable stream of interest. The Chrono Compendium and Starmen.net each have a much narrower mandate and both have very vibrant communities.

Besides, we're living in an age where institutions like Archive.org and Google mass-scan and upload entire libraries of hundred year old books of far more marginal interest than a series of games from the 90's. If we build a definitive resource that is reasonably complete, accurate, and user friendly it will be remain useful indefinitely.
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Limne,but someone would have to gather all these informations and out them together, along with a modern, userfriendly look, but fact is that the people in charge (boxxle & eFlare) and the people most active and dedicated (raini & Jason) are busy with everyday life, kids, work and other projects.

The sitecontent though has never been the main motor behind the forum though, the forum is home to this very group of internetfriends. ...darn facebook however connected us on a daily basis, so we dont feel the urge to come here every day <.<

Whenever I want to talk about sth. Viddya related, f.ex. new releases, I post it on facebook, so not only the terraearthians, but also my rl-friends can see it.

Alas, somebody would have tomake the site the informationmekka it's supposed to be, and link it to facebook & youtube to attract the most people possible. Maybe a podcast-talk. Then it might go viral to all the Snesheads out there.

gw8t3st
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 1,046

Postgw8t3st Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

boxxleman wrote:
Coz wrote:
Hey, I'm even surprised that this place is still standing, we should thank Boxxleman for that Very Happy

You are quite welcome.

Whoa, it's Box.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

gw8t3st wrote:
boxxleman wrote:
Coz wrote:
Hey, I'm even surprised that this place is still standing, we should thank Boxxleman for that Very Happy

You are quite welcome.

Whoa, it's Box.

Whoa, it's gw8t3st.

You are just the Greatest buddy. The Greatest.

Apparently I missed Hero posting 11 months ago as well... dang it. Hope you are doing well mate!

Lets name drop someone else and see if they show up in this topic. Ummm...

Kale!

KaleFlame you out there buddy?

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen him show up a couple times in the last... couple years... I'm sure he will eventually. Maybe. Somehow...

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss jamesvenz. Evil or Very Mad

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
I miss jamesvenz. Evil or Very Mad

I would actually like to see our trolls who where obviously kids way back then. Always fun to see how people have changed.

Rereading a lot of my old stuff is cringe worthy.

"I am God Remeber that" - My classic signature, looked amazing, with a huge spelling mistake I didn't notice for 3 years.

Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing that's why you don't reread some stuff from the past.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Laughing that's why you don't reread some stuff from the past.

Even if I dont, Jason will! He will then compile it into a 100+ page volume and share it for all of TE to see!

Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: