TerraEarth Forums

What's your FF6 team? (minor spoilers are possible maybe)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:57 pm   Post subject: What's your FF6 team? (minor spoilers are possible maybe) Reply with quote

In spirit of my return to TerraEarth, I'll be trying to spark some discussion in an effort to "revive" the forums Razz So come on, let's talk about dem vidya games!

Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 6 for the first time. I'm currently in the World of Ruin, still in the process of finding the party members. I'm told I need to pick 4 party members to focus on, because only four characters can participate in the final battle or something.

So the topic of discussion: What's your FF6 team? And why do you include these in your team of 4? I'll start with mine. I'm not endgame yet and I don't know the OP tricks, mind you.

Terra: I love her Morph ability, which doubles damage given and halves magic damage taken. I still don't really know how the ability works in terms of duration and ability to re-use, but double magic damage is great to have, even for short bursts of time.
Locke: The REAL main character, since Terra is gone so often. Locke is actually quite useless, but I put him in the back row with a throwing weapon and use him as a heal slave. Steal nets me some additional items, always a plus.
Sabin: I use Sabin because Sabin is awesome. His Blitz abilities are just OP, both early and late game. 'nuff said
Celes: I like having two spellcasters in my party. Additionally, her Runic ability is seriously underrated! Any magic-using boss becomes a cakewalk, just have Celes spam Runic to absorb that shiz.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally when I play FF6, I stick with Celes, Lock, Mog, and Setzer. I like them the most so whatever I like most gets the priority Laughing However, during the last dungeon you get to switch between parties, so I'd level them all equally so your less beefy characters don't get the shaft and ded fast.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually not the case at all. The final dungeon has you using a team of 12 characters (broken into three groups) and during the final fight you arrange an order for them to appear in the battle.

That said, it IS a good idea to have a main four.

For me I always stick to the age old rule my brother taught me: Healer, Fighter, Healer, Fighter. Though I've adapted it to be: Healer, 2 Fighters and Support.

For my Healer, I always go with Terra. Her magic stat is naturally the highest and in a pinch she can be a badass spell caster.

For my two fighters, I always favored Cyan and Edgar. Edgar's tools are a little less useful in the late stages, but his high defense and HP work out well in that battle. Cyan, on the other hand, is a machine, especially when you use the Genji Glove + (i can't remember this other accessory's name) trick.

For my support, Gogo. I give him/her/it Magic, Blitz and Lore and I have an all-rounder that can pretty much fill any role I need.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of bogus information has my friend been giving me? Mad

I started up with an old save file of mine, turns out I have not been very smart with Esper leveling... I've mostly been working on making every character have every spell, while not giving much thought to e.g. boosting Terra / Celes' magic power. Oh well... Mad I'll probably level the entire party up to 45 before hunting Kefka down.

I haven't found Gogo yet. I didn't know he could possess multiple abilities! I've been too lazy to collect Lores, though, so I'm probably better off with bum-rushin' Sabin
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazermint wrote:

I haven't found Gogo yet. I didn't know he could possess multiple abilities! I've been too lazy to collect Lores, though, so I'm probably better off with bum-rushin' Sabin

By Default, his only ability is "Mime" which allows him to mimic the last move. But there is a way in the menu to set him up with a variety of ability options, which makes him the most versatile character in the game

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Terra/Locke/Edgar/Cyan

I used said OP tricks.

Terra was equipped with things which let her dual cast Ultima for 1 mana every turn (9999 x2 damage)
Locke had Genji Glove / Offering equipped, which means every hit = Omnislash
Edgar and Cyan were bouncy imps, which means full Imp armor, Imp status, Dragoon Boots and Jump (disappear from combat for a turn or 2 then bounce ~4 times for ~4-5000 per hit)

The final boss didn't even get through his opening monologue when he dropped dead.
Shameless Pirate

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
By Default, his only ability is "Mime" which allows him to mimic the last move. But there is a way in the menu to set him up with a variety of ability options, which makes him the most versatile character in the game

That's pretty cool. If he can mimic without MP cost, I can see how he's a total beast!

EverPhoenix wrote:
I used Terra/Locke/Edgar/Cyan

I used said OP tricks.

Terra was equipped with things which let her dual cast Ultima for 1 mana every turn (9999 x2 damage)
Locke had Genji Glove / Offering equipped, which means every hit = Omnislash
Edgar and Cyan were bouncy imps, which means full Imp armor, Imp status, Dragoon Boots and Jump (disappear from combat for a turn or 2 then bounce ~4 times for ~4-5000 per hit)

The final boss didn't even get through his opening monologue when he dropped dead.

Holy shit man. My best trick is paring those two damn earrings... I gotta try that imp setup, sounds epic.

I just got Locke back today, need to find him an Offering asap ^^
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up re-starting my FF6 playthrough. I've been half-assing it so badly, I didn't even know you could use Espers in battle until I was already in the WoR, I had no strategy in esper stat raising, and I COULDN'T SAVE SHADOW.

I just got access to Espers in my new playthrough, so I can start stat boosting. I've done some research, and I've come up with the following character setups:

Terra, Celes, Relm: Spellcasters
These will receive MagicPower boosts, wearing Economizer + Gem Box for dual-cast, 1-MP cost spells. They're more or less the same. Terra's Morph is cool but limited in use. Celes' Runic can be very useful but only with a team of attackers since it also absorbs OUTGOING spells. Relm's Sketch/Control is only convenient for teaching lores to Strago.

Strago: Support Mage
Strago is the most potent support mage in the game, because of his Lore ability. The two lores central to a support Strago is Big Guard (halving all incoming damage on entire party) and Pearl Wind (healing party for as much HP as Strago has while casting it). I'll probably boost his HP to maximize his potential as support mage rather than boosting his Magic Power for being a 4th spellcaster.

Gau: Wind God
Using the Merit Award relic, Gau can equip weapons. Giving him the Tempest Knife gives him a 50% chance of casting Wind Slash on attack. Giving him the Offering relic allows him to attack 4 times = averagely 2 wind slashes per turn. Using the Stray Cat Rage multiplies that damage by 4. Holy shit son. Definitely need to boost his magic power for this setup to be the most effective.

Edgar, Mog: Holy Dragoons
These guys will be utilizing the Dragoon Boots + Horn, for a 4x jump. They'll also be wearing the Pearl Halbers, which has a 25% chance to cast Pearl (averagely one proc per turn, then). Edgar's tools are OP in WoB but become a little obsolete in WoR. As for Mog, I find this setup far more stable than his dances.

Cyan: Imp Dragoon
I really don't care about Cyan's ability, so I find him to be the best contender for the Imp Dragoon setup. He'll be wearing the full Imp set and the Dragoon relics.

Setzer: Imp Gambler
Setzer's ability is too unreliable, so he's another contender for the imp setup. However, his ultimate weapon, Fixed Dice, ignores the pentalties of the Imp status, so he can wear that instead of the Imp Halberd and still reap the defensive benefits of the setup. I can give him the Offering for 4x hits if I'm not using Gau or Locke.

Locke: Valiant Knight!
Locke's build will focus around the Valiant Knife and the Offering. The Valiant Knife gets a damage boost depending on how much HP Locke has lost. Furthermore, the Valiant Knife ignores the damage penalty of the Offering, making Locke able to actually do some serious damage. I won't be giving him a Genji Glove, because I'm choosing a defensive setup to accomodate having low HP. I was thinking of teaming Locke up with Strago for the Big Guard boost = extra survivability, but then Pearl Wind will come in the way since it automatically heals the entire party.

Sabin: Blitzer
Sabin turns out to have a relatively low damage potential, despite being one of the most powerful characters in WoB. His main Blitzes are actually magic-based, so I need to boost his Magic Power and not Vigor/strength. I can give him some support spells and have him as a (secondary) healer.

Shadow: Ninja
Shadow will be throwing ninja stars at everyone.

I won't be using Gogo and Umaru. Umaru is uncontrollable, but Gogo can be useful with his ability to mimic abilities. However, these two cannot get Esper stat boosts, so I think they'll be weaker than the rest of the bunch. I can only bring 12 people to Kefka's Tower anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: