TerraEarth Forums

Disable guest posting?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:25 pm   Post subject: Disable guest posting? Reply with quote

I was wondering, if it's wise to do so. Lately, I've been seeing cowards in forums abusing the guest posting ability, to post flames not worrying about being banned. I figured that if you are able to force them to have an account that can be banned, it'll keep those motherfuckers in check. Cool
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It's stupid when people do that.
Tiga X
Level 7: Raiden

Gems 1,000

PostTiga X Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but you'll be denying acces to NORMAL people who just once want to make a SENSIBLE remark too.
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they'll have enough sense to sign up and post something sensible, it's not like we're denying membership to anyone. Wink

Gems 1,000

PostTiga X Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. Point taken.
eFlare
Level 12: Soul Knight

Administrator

Gems 5,813

PosteFlare Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again: This is a temporary board, everything will remain pretty much as it is untill the board has the lucky number and is up for a make over, or build up actually. But other projects have a higher priority at the moment. (For example the TerraEarth main site)

Other: Ban is based on IP or E-mail address. Doesn't matter if you're a guest, we'll hunt you down, drag you into the street and shoot you. After that, you will be banned aswel.
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like guest posting disabling, mostly because sometimes I get to a forum and I see someone ask a question no one has answered.. I know the answer and want to give it but BAM! I have to register. And wonder what, I have to write my details, waste 10 minutes going to hotmail and then finish the registration, and finally log in, just to satisfy a complete stranger curiosity. Well, I don't, so if a guest wants to say just 1 comment it's not really a problem.

A better solution would be, to check on guests IPs, and if a guest answers a message or makes more than 3 threads, a screen suggesting registration is shown.
blueisalive
Previously known as Aoiga

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 1,121

Postblueisalive Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make a guest specific forum? Question
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Coz, 10 minutes out of your life isn't much, besides, if you didn't answer the stranger's question, a registered member will. So it's not really worth opening our forums to potential idiots who can't take the time to register or are too cowardly to put their name on a random flame they made.

And eFlare, that might be so, but if you ban their IP, they can always use a different computer or they could be hiding behind a proxy. It's not that hard to get around an IP ban. But if you ban their accounts while guest posting is disabled, they must create a new account, probably with a different eMail address, fortunately, since the banned are quite stupid, they usually forget they're a new person and not the banned, then we can ban that username also, the cycle repeats, each time wasting the idiot's resources until they give up.

Another thing I'd like to have added is User Validation, when a new member is registered, they can only see the validation forum, and if they want to see the rest of the forum they must validate themselves stating that they read and agree with the rules and want to be validated. That way, the Admins can filter out the n00bs and the idiots (Judging by their validation posts) at their own discretion before they can begin to infect the rest of the forum with their stupidity. Wink

Gems 1,000

PostTiga X Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea! Why don't we just hope no *checks JM's post* "n00bs and idiots" ever sign up here! Confused

PostGuest Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there's gonna be noobs and idiots who sign up. We just gotta smack em around a little before they get that they're morons. ^_^
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

...Again. teh raini ish above. Cool

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, most of them can't understand "intelligence" when it is shoved up their collective rectum. Wink
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 1,000

PostXenaJen Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you meanie like CTM? *shot*
-meaningful quote: "When I think of love, I think of somebody I trust. Somebody I feel happy when I'm with. Somebody that I like to touch and hold, and I would feel safe to just lie beside them for hours and listen to them breathe...."
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Yeah, he has a talent though.....in making his bullshit look like intelligent writing. But hun, leave the peeps at FUS out of this, okay? We wanna make fun of idiots whom the rest of TE knows about and are able to laugh at. Like DeathPit for instance. Cool

*cuddles XJen*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: