TerraEarth Forums

Illusion of Gaia Re-Translation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steppolo Steppi
Level 3: Cadet

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am   Post subject: A Reply with quote

Aaaa

Last edited by Steppolo Steppi on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Steppolo Steppi

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiva Indis wrote:
Ok, busy week this week but you can find my efforts so far in the txt files here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hXTEHhAx1CQrdiYDlNbX0qrlHkk6NRHG

I read in the posts above that the attract sequence is formatted differently than the rest of the text, but if you come up with a solution for that I have you covered. It turns out that some of the vague parts of it are due to censorship, and it was supposed to reference the Mystic Statues.

Further updates to come.

Holy Gaia! Thank you so much for you infinite patience and kindness providing me with such and amazing amount of support... Thank you from the bottom of my heart really! BTW another small updates up until Itory Village.
https://youtu.be/baQDrgfh_wU
https://youtu.be/lZVh8wuCSVE

Regarding the intro sequence, it seemed to me that is not stored as text. but instead as a bunch of tiles, images, pictures that cannot be edited normally, since they are compressed. I would need to decompress them first, modified them and re-insert them. As of now I am not capable of such advance hacking, but there is a tool developed by a German dude named manafreak called GaiaTheCreator. After some chit chat with him, apparently his tool can modify both text and graphics, but sadly cannot, as of yet, rewrite the changes in the rom image. But I am confident that he will sooner or later add such capabilities, and when that happens, I am gonna fiddle with it right away!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Steppolo Steppi

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until now, I thought the Intro sequence was a series of images, compressed into the game Image... But guess what? I was wrong! Using the same encoding of the Location names, the one used when the characters move from an area to the next so to speak, I found where the Intro text was located, and finally I was able to modify it. The original was so wonky and bizarre that really infuriated me every single time I saw it. Luckily thanks to Shiva Indis who provided me with a straight translation from the Japanese Intro text, I was able to make a much understandable translation of this messed up Intro. All the god reference are back in as in the JAP version, no more mysterious spirits crap and the like. Hope you guys enjoy!

https://youtu.be/wyirsP4ubDs
Shiva Indis
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! That part always did leave me scratching my head, but I never thought to examine it until I signed on to this project.

Also, I added some new scripts to the Google Drive folder. Interestingly, the "flower spirit" of Itory is a pretty accurate translation and not a result of bowdlerization, like most instances of the word "spirit" in this game.
Steppolo Steppi

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work as always man! I got so excited every time you post something new, kinda like when you get you first GBC with Pokemon Yellow for birthday Very Happy
As you might have notice from the videos, I am re writing everything based upon what I read around this forum and around the net. More often then so I have an hard time figuring out by myself what the English script is trying to convey so I must interpret using my own head, because I did not have the entire translated Japanese script as reference, hence the results you saw in videos do not match with your documents. But now thanks to you efforts it will be 100% accurate Very Happy
Shiva Indis

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I added some material including the Moon Tribe Camp, which was very interesting to do a deep dive on. I know you were wondering about "ku ku ku" and that is a quiet, evil-sounding laugh onomatopoeia in Japanese. It's difficult to come up with a good equivalent for it in English, but just leaving it as-is is probably the worse choice.

Several of the Moon Tribe speak in a distinctly feminine manner, and though I tried to capture that in English, this language is just not as good at that sort of thing.
Steppolo Steppi

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much again for the huge amount of work your putting up with because of me. You have been so fast that you actually catch up with me, and now I am actually re writing the Moon Tribe section. That ku ku ku part left me scratching my head at first, but now makes much more sense, them being what they are and all. I had no idea that they spoke in such manner, from the English localization is something you simply will never figure out. Another question I got is why the place's name is Moon Rock in Japanese world map?
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fu fu fu..." or "Heh heh heh..." seem to work for creepy laughter, the latter working best in most media I've seen.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Steppolo Steppi

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
"Fu fu fu..." or "Heh heh heh..." seem to work for creepy laughter, the latter working best in most media I've seen.

Gotcha! I will go with the Heh heh stuff since even Shiva wrote it that way
Steppolo Steppi

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time no see sorry fellas, busy with BS work stuff. Anyhow here a small update
https://youtu.be/09Gz65JiC7o
Enjoy!
Shiva Indis

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy too, but I did wrap up the shipwreck recently and start on Freejia.

I'm using a couple of alternate romanizations, which you can take or leave at your discretion. I used Aukland instead of Oakland for the place to Tim and Karen make landfall. I'm also using Freesia instead of Freejia.
Steppolo Steppi

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man is tough to keep up when there is a 9 to 5 job in the between. But as long as we are working on it, even if slowly it will happen, and this is what matters mostly, besides Rome was not built in one day!
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! This is fantastic! Any chance you'll be releasing an .ips patch or modified ROM once it's all done? It's been my dream to play through a well-written Illusion of Gaia.

Though it's going to be tough to get used to Will being Tim...

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Steppolo Steppi

Gems 93

PostSteppolo Steppi Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm back from the dead, not really just in a middle of a complicated situation. I bascally moved from Finland to Italy during April and I have been there since then. I got a new job that takes most of my time, and to make things worst the usb stick which contained the most up to date version of the translation stopped working. I tried everything I could to recover the files, even took off the usb male jack and replaced it with another one but did not help. The last chance I got is to desolder the memory chip on the key and solder it onto another key of the same model, but as of now I cannot, cuz when I moved to Italy all my tools of the trade were left behind in Finland. Tho I still got another build of the translation which is from January and I am currently using that one to keep this project going. Soon I will post more updates, sorry for the inconvenients guys, but sometimes life just spawns outta of our control. Stay tuned and go check my YT channel to stay updated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWERKCPuWs4
tay120n64 wrote:
OH! This is fantastic! Any chance you'll be releasing an .ips patch or modified ROM once it's all done? It's been my dream to play through a well-written Illusion of Gaia.

For sure man, once is done I will release it right away!

Last edited by Steppolo Steppi on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Steppolo Steppi wrote:
Hi all! I'm back from the dead, not really just in a middle of a complicated situation. I bascally moved from Finland to Italy during April and I have been there since then. I got a new job that takes most of my time, and to make things worst the usb stick which contained the most up to date version of the translation stopped working. I tried everything I could to recover the files, even took off the usb male jack and replaced it with another one but did not help. The last chance I got is to desolder the memory chip on the key and solder it onto another key of the same model, but as of now I cannot, cuz when I moved to Italy all my tools of the trade were left behind in Finland. Tho I still got another build of the translation which is from January and I am currently using that one to keep this project going. Soon I will post more updates, sorry for the inconvenients guys, but sometimes life just spawns outta of our control. Stay tuned and go check my YT channel to stay updated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Gz65JiC7o&t=6s
tay120n64 wrote:

For sure man, once is done I will release it right away!

that's quite a distance to move Eek!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: