TerraEarth Forums

Okay But No For Real This Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:55 am   Post subject: Okay But No For Real This Time Reply with quote

After 2-3 false starts over the past decade, I am FINALLY playing through Terranigma. The plan was to play through all three games in the trilogy this year, but rather than risk burnout, I'm just jumping right into the one I haven't played ten times.

Anyway, I'm using our Magirock guide to make sure I don't miss any, but does anyone else have any other tips for a first timer, or am I good to go?

I just finished the Ra Tree, and I'll be posting here regularly over the next week or two as I progress.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to the infamous Bloody Mary, it's probably the only time you'll use your magirocks for magic.

Also, on the second form of the last boss, you're going to be spamming the block button and probably go through your herbs pretty quick.

And last but not least: don't cry. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to take the time to grind up: the cemetery in luran (not the town square) is the place to go.
Level 2: Whisp

Gems 66

Postwarpig Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My most important tip: if you get bored at any point and feel "this is going nowhere", keep going! I've heard of people feeling that way before, but it ramps up fast near the end and the payoff is definitely worth it!

psychokind wrote:
if you want to take the time to grind up: the cemetery in luran (not the town square) is the place to go.

I used this for the longest time, but there is actually an even better place in Louran. There is a house on the north side (I think) with a room with four enemies in it. You find a strength potion if you go outside, and that place should be a dead end otherwise. Anyway, there is much less walking involved here than on the cemetery, since the room is so small and you can easily go in and out repeatedly.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd Sitting: Grecliff & Zue

Sometimes I forget that I added the Terranigma music to one of my old playlists. Lots of music I shouldn’t know is very familiar. I really love the boss theme, actually. I’m not sure yet how I feel about the story. The intro was strong, but I don’t feel like I’m getting the sort of depth I’m used to. Soul Blazer had pretty engaging character interactions as you enlivened each area, and Illusion of Gaia of course had a pretty strong narrative throughout. As it is, the plants and animals I have saved so far don’t seem to add much to the world. Honestly, the game reminds me more of E.V.O. than the previous Quintet games. We’ll see if that continues.

I also seem to be getting frustrated really easily in the dungeons. Do I have less patience, or do I just not remember my first times playing SB and IoG? Probably both.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you're basically still in the intro sort of - just wait for it Very Happy
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The dungeons are really frustrating, yeah. Zue and Eklemata are two of the ones I dislike the most because of how much you have to do, some of the enemies are irritating...

but once you get past Eklemata, the fun starts.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Sitting: Canyon, Elkemata, & Louran

Okay so, can we just talk about that rock bridge in the Canyon for a sec? What the eff. Ugh. Anyway, I had to look up the boss here because I didn’t realize the rock on the ground was interactable. I’m starting to enjoy the game more, but the combat is still frustrating. Enemies can be difficult to read, and while the more dynamic moveset is great, striking an enemy isn’t as satisfying as in previous Quintet titles.

THEN AGAIN MAYBE I’M JUST ANNOYED AT ELKEMATA. The enemies there were just... the worst. Also, I totally missed the weapon chest and had to go back. I took the opportunity to also return to Grecliff to pick up a chest I missed there, and spend an hour trying to open a chest that doesn’t exist. I also went to NeoTokyo!

Moving on, Louran is so far the high point of the game. Wow! I was super surprised at how chilling the atmosphere was. It was a great dungeon with some solid story.

Welp, I’m going to play a little more tonight, since I’m not sure how much time I’ll have tomorrow. On to the desert!

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Louran was when it clicked for me as far as I remember. Before that it's kinda generic in terms of story, and eklementa and Liams trial before I dond't like too much either. although the goat part was really refreshing compared to other RPGs.

Gems 66

Postwarpig Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember it clearly, but I think the rock bridge took me a few attempts on my first playthrough, too.
Chapter 2 seems a bit like filler content in hindsight. Even though resurrecting the overworld is one of the most important things you do storywise, there just doesn't seem to be much going on that's very interesting. Though there's the goat scene psychokind mentioned, which is one of these very weird parts Quintet games have, but which I really appreciate about them.

As far as combat goes, I found Illusion of Gaia's much less satisfying because of the more limited moveset and its relative sluggishness compared to Terranigma, which feels much more fluid. Though to be fair, Terranigma throws the variety out of the window if you discover that the running slicer attack is very generous with its invulnerability frames... At any rate, your mileage may vary.

Are you using a guide? I don't think I visited Neotokio this early on in my first few playthroughs. And I consider going there so early a sequence break of sorts, even though Neotokio isn't actually required. But it's not the biggest deal.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m only refering to guides when I get stuck, rather than wander around aimlessly. I actually flew over to NeoTokyo when I resurrected the birds, but was dissapointed that the island was empty. As I was flying around after resurresting man, I noticed a lot of cities had appeared on the map, so I backtracked out of curiousity.

IoG is far more limiting than Terranigma, but what you can do and how you need to attack enemies is far more clear. Bosses telegraph their weaknesses more clearly, and enemies move in discernable patterns. I get impatient with the first Zelda as well, because those enemies have a tendency to move unpredictably.

warpig

Gems 66

Postwarpig Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You're different from me when it comes to trying out things like this, then. When I was told that I can't talk to animals anymore I'd just assume that's it, and the gulls won't transport me anymore, either Very Happy
I only got the idea on my, say, fourth playthrough or so to actually try this at the beginning of chapter 3.

As far as combat goes, it's usually "use slicer on the enemy until it is dead" and "if the enemy takes no damage from a slicer, use any jumping attack". In theory, enemies take more damage (or none) if you use specific attacks (often not enough to make it "worth it" to switch your own pattern), but you're right that this isn't discernible at all except by trying everything.
And I never thought about it, but I guess you're right about the erratic enemy movement. At least there aren't many enemies which leave the screen or make you wait for ages in other ways (looking at you, Mountain Temple Mad )

Anyway, keep us updated. I enjoy reading someone's thoughts who's "new" to the game.
How far were you on your other attempts? Are you in unknown territory already?
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My two previous attempts never got me past the first save on the overworld.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

4th & 5th Sitting: Loire & Sylvain

I’ve barely had time to play this week!

So earlier this week, I made my way through Loire and the Forest. Much like I did in Louran, I got to the end of the Forest without grabbing the key item and had to double back. I was surprised to see the “true” Crysta, though given I already knew about “Overworld” Elle, I shouldn’t have been. The events add an extra layer of tragedy to Ark, while making me question his true place in all this. I’ll be interested to see how far the narrative goes.

In fact, there’s a sense of dread that elicits a more genuine sense of terror compared to past Quintet titles. Soul Blazer evoked a sense of lonliness, which was compounded by the game’s primitive design. Illusion of Gaia, being more robust in design and narrative, had it’s moments of terror, but the constant interacting with party members and higher powers seemed to diminish that effect. For me, the Pyramid was the most thematically terrifying part of the game, due in no small part to the confrontation with Jackal. But in Terranigma, there is a more consistent sense of solitude, and the music and atmosphere lend to a more dreadful motif. Just my thoughts anyway.

Speaking of dreadful, Sylvain Castle wasn’r creepy at all, nope, not a bit. I can’t decide if I think Bloody Mary was difficult, or if I’m just upset at the battle system in this game again. You take damage so fast in this fight, and the sliding dash is so cheap you basically have to spam it. If you unload on ElecRings, you wipe out 2/3 of her health. The fight is so unfair and the system so unbalanced, why would you bother trying to battle in any traditional manner? In IoG, I would often handicap myself by not transforming or not healing because the boss battles were so engaging, but Terranigma has consistently disappointed me with each boss I have encountered.

Combat aside, I am really enjoying the story here. Even with a rough translation, there’s a great deal of depth, and the characters are very interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing where this all leads.

warpig

Gems 66

Postwarpig Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I was taken by surprise by Storkolm/Crysta, too. Fun fact after you've seen that: Crysta is apparently called "Crystalholm" in the Japanese version!

As for Bloody Mary, she perfectly illustrates the main complaint about the game's balance: how being one level higher or lower decides if you do scratch damage or destroy enemies in two hits. Not sure if the damage formula was ever figured out fully, but apparently your strength value, and your level compared to the enemy's heavily factor into it. As far as I know.
With Bloody Mary, this is at its worst. The official German player's guide recommends you tackle her at level 25! If I don't grind, I am around level 20 or so here. The Light Rod also helps, quadrupling your damage (from 1 to 4, lol).
Something seems to have gone wrong here, and though I don't have a source for it, I don't think she was supposed to be this frustrating.

Regarding the general atmosphere, all games of the trilogy are... melancholic, I guess, in their own way. The feeling of "loneliness" you describe seemed strongest to me in Chapter 2 (out of the parts you have played yet). But even though Ark has contact with other humans in the third chapter, it didn't really go away.

I won't talk about the story, but reiterate what I said earlier: if you feel the plot is meandering a bit, press on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: