TerraEarth Forums

No, that's not a trench coat: The Gaia Gensoki Art
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloseFriend
Level 2: Whisp

Gems 51

PostCloseFriend Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:21 am   Post subject: No, that's not a trench coat: The Gaia Gensoki Art Reply with quote

So, to get on with the opening pleasantries: don't let the new name fool you; a lifetime ago, when I was a fat little drama-bent teenager, I made a website that existed only to stagnate before I eventually shut it down while calling the Caves of Narshe's webmaster a dirty name.

Well, today, I am on Cloud Nine, because LOOKY WHAT I GOT...

Hey, wait a minute...

What the hell is THAT?! Whatever it is, I sure don't remember seeing it when Freedan had five life units, and I just played this to that point last night!

So I saw that we were looking for some art from the international editions. In fact, the reason I bought this particular game is because I wanted closure. I wanted to know what Moto Hagio's original character designs looked like. Was Will's flute originally pink; did he steal it from band camp? How did Seth get that badass trench coat? What does Lance's hair style really look like?

Ladies, gentlemen, I hope you like disappointment. I give you... CLOSURE.

How the hell did Erik come out looking like Ronald McDonald? Did Seth get swallowed by a sea monster or a clocktower? Where's the lovable bulldyke Lilly? Lance with his slicked-back hair?

I don't get it. I really don't.

For those wondering, the manual also contains factual information on all of the historical places you visit, as well as a story page. But that weird skeleton thing on the back cover makes no appearance on the manual or in the original Japanese game (as far as I've found). In fact, SHADOW doesn't even appear in the manual; it's like Quintet considered him a spoiler or something.

And no, there's no complete walkthrough in the back with the Strategy General's warning, either.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, I just found fanart of this game. It's few and far between, but it's definitely out there. But hell if I remember someone named Morris in the game. I guess they renamed him.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
CloseFriend

Gems 51

PostCloseFriend Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Ironically, I just found fanart of this game. It's few and far between, but it's definitely out there. But hell if I remember someone named Morris in the game. I guess they renamed him.

Yes, Tim became Will, Karen became Kara, Rob became Lance, Morris became Seth, Lilly became Lilly, and Erik became Erik. Also, the Jackal was originally the Black Panther and Riverson is a mis-Romanization of leviathan. I think Neil had a different name too, but I'm not sure.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... every guy in that one picture is a flaming homo. And Lily is an ugly girl. The only one who looks semi-decent is Kara.

And yes, what the hell is that skull?! That'd be kikas id you could actually use it.
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the japanese versions (box and manuals, of course, since i'm a collector) of Gaia Gensouki and Terranigma.

I always found the original box art really nice, but the illustrations in the booklet are a little strange. Lol.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OHH EMM GEE...

Wtf is that supposed to be? It's like I died and went to Illusion of Gaia heaven, only to find that it totally sucks.

I mean seriously... How untalented is this character designer?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
OHH EMM GEE...

Wtf is that supposed to be? It's like I died and went to Illusion of Gaia heaven, only to find that it totally sucks.

I mean seriously... How untalented is this character designer?

The artwork is a bit odd, but I don't think it's that bad, lol.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
Hydra.7
Level 8: Amarante

Gems 1,000
Location: Someone told me Earth, but I don't believe them. c:

PostHydra.7 Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:17 pm   Post subject: My guts are now liquified Reply with quote

Oh dear god. That character art.... oh oh *death* I thought the american intruction book art was bad but-but this. this is too much oh *dies again*

CIRCUS OF GAIA! They all look like clowns. D8

I will redraw them. I will take in consideration their sprites, attitudes, living conditions, all the factors! YES! I will save them! (even though I won't do that much better)

.... when I have time...
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That character art is some kind of awful. Seth looks like a hunchbacked stork, Erik looks like a clown, and Lily... what the hell is she doing?

Lance seems ok, Will... nothing particularly offensive. I guess Kara's the best picture of the bunch, even if her hair is black in the game.

I just realized where I've seen Erik before:

Separated at birth, or what?

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. nice.

Actually, I recently looked up the character designer for IoG, and it turned out to be one of the pioneers of Shojo art. Apparently, her artwork is a big deal in the Shojo community. I don't know if you could call her the "Akira Toriyama" of Shojo, but that was sort of the impression I got from reading her bio.

Taking that into consideration, the artwork offends me slightly less, but I still don't like it. (Shojo artwork itself offends me, you know)

*Shojo, for the uninformed, is a Japanese word referring to young girls, or, in this case, a comic book art style targeted to young girls.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Hydra.7

Gems 1,000
Location: Someone told me Earth, but I don't believe them. c:

PostHydra.7 Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Young girls would have nightmares looking at these character designs. I knew she was a Shoujo artist, but I still had hopes that the designs would be better... e___e

I never liked Shoujo or Shounen. I've always liked the styles that appeal to both... (that statement could sound really bad if you think about it...)

This is the north american guide version just in case anyone cares to compaire:

I posted it in the gallery here too.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Will still looks a little fruity, but I have to say I like it alot better. Plus, Kara is actually attractive in this one. (I'm trying not to think about their age. Just gonna move on to the next thread.)

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school shoujo art, especially if the artist drew a lot of popular manga in the late 70's early 80's = definitely going to look like that. Then again, this game was made in the early 90's, so... can't complain too much about the art, I guess. Razz

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

that art is weird... but i cant stop staring at it o_o
i guess i do still have a soft spot for old school, then.

still...
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Kara and Will look good in the official arts for both versions of the game guide, imho. Will could do to look a bit manlier in both, but overall not too shabby.

The rest of them though....o dear, MY EYES! THE GOGGLES - THEY DO NOTHING! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: