TerraEarth Forums

Game Design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammerit
Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:40 pm   Post subject: Game Design Reply with quote

I very often do researches on games of almost every genre in order to analyse their game design, reproduce the design document which was used to create em and finds ways to improve the game by fixing problems I've encountered during my researches or by simply reconcepting several background algorithms in a way that improves the overall gameplay.

A very fascinating game with awesome well game design I found out in my researches was *tada* Secret of Evermore. The Developers must have invested tons of time in order to get it done so well since the game as it was released in the SNES age offers features I miss in most other classic rpgs. For example the different currencies adding much more logical depth to the whole game, the multiplicator system that grants the biggest treasures only to those really knowing the game, or the extremely well balanced mercantile system that allows to make straight cash without fighting, or the item node based treasure placement (certain treasures can only be found if the player at this time has certain other things in the inventory or has done a few certain things right before accessing the treasure). It doesn't offer just a neat soryline and a shitload of pretty well put jokes, no it even offers the most complete game design I've ever seen.

Most games aren't designed that well (most seem to never have seen a real game designer to begin with according to how worse the concepts have been messed up), but can you think of some more examples? ^^

Game Designer
Coz

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Deus Ex.

And here's another thing: I dunno if you have made any games, but some things in game design will only be learned from making a game; but I don't really mean your common small indie freeware game, I'm talking about big games.

Oh and, this might be rude of me but, if you can do game design, you can get a girl >.>'
Hammerit

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Coz wrote:
And here's another thing: I dunno if you have made any games, but some things in game design will only be learned from making a game; but I don't really mean your common small indie freeware game, I'm talking about big games.

hm to name just a few: Operation: Zero - Phase One (2D Scrolldown Shooter), a few text adventures, designed the concepts for 2 RPGs, 1 classic 3d shooter and helped several modteams in the concepting phase. We aren't working on any freeware titles no more. Operation: Zero is our first what you call "big" game. It'll be an AAA title just a bit more innovative than most of the others and we plan to sell it in cooperation with a publisher, or maybe even self-publish it if the fanbase allows in the very moment we plan the release itself. Coz right now we're putting all our efforts into creating the content and producing some things we can later present on the homepage.

Deus Ex 1 was neatly done indeed, though I personally dun like the genre ^^.

Game Design is scritping, story writing, game analysis, reverse concepting, content design + management (level/weapon/shiparch/etc. design), writing dialogues and various other texts, balancing, and still a lot more. So it's right that one needs a lot of experience on designing games to design games and even a load more of knowledge.

Game Designer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: