Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huball
Level 3: Cadet

Gems 63

PostHuball Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rayim wrote:

Exclamation Later Edit: "Beluga" actually comes from Russian (белуга) and it means WHITE! So the RUSSIAN mad scientist Beruga has a Russian name that means "white" (in Russian Laughing).

white is the color of death in Asia Wink
rayim
Legend shall speak

Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 131

Postrayim Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Huball wrote:
rayim wrote:

Exclamation Later Edit: "Beluga" actually comes from Russian (белуга) and it means WHITE! So the RUSSIAN mad scientist Beruga has a Russian name that means "white" (in Russian Laughing).

You're right! So true! I seem to neglect that the game is made in Japan sometime and expect same western symbolism - which is clearly a mistake many do.

Again, awesome observation Huball!
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rayim wrote:
Huball wrote:
rayim wrote:

You're right! So true! I seem to neglect that the game is made in Japan sometime and expect same western symbolism - which is clearly a mistake many do.

Again, awesome observation Huball!

Wow. I have definitely learnt something new today. ^_^ Cool.
Legend shall speak

Gems 131

Postrayim Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyda (Fida in Japanese, as in Latin) means "faithful, loyal, trusting, confident" in Latin. It seems they really thought about this and didn't just choose the first name that sounded cool. I love them for the detail they put in this game omg.
Huball

Gems 63

PostHuball Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

http://genealogy.about.com/od/surname_meaning/p/lloyd.htm

OF COURSE! Very Happy
rayim
Legend shall speak

Gems 131

Postrayim Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Japanese names Reply with quote

Prime Blue wrote:

Canyon (せんじんの谷 = Senjin no Tani)
Hard to translate because "senjin" isn't given in kanji. The play on words is obviously intended, as "senjin" can mean a lot of things pertaining to that particular situation (that's probably also why they didn't give the word in kanji), for example "vanguard" (as in, the person that clears the way for another), "bottomless", or "of great depth". Personally, I like the Abysmal Vanguard Valley.

They were very clever here using homonyms that are somehow all very useful to the situation.
Still, you are wrong when translating as "X Y valley" (whatever x or y are). it's just X's Valley/Valley of X. X could be {ancestor (my fav), bottomless (my 2nd fav), vanguard, battlefield, battlefield formation and some others}

Anyway, I would say this if i would be a 101 japanese language student. As i'm not , i am certain it means 千尋の谷 or abysmal valley. It's a common expression in japanese, like bottomless pit in English. But for the jp ppl this made them think about it a second and connect it with all those interesting alternatives like vanguard or ancestor.

Oh and senjin is also a colloquialism for a korean person... which somehow makes me want them to be more precise Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: