TerraEarth Forums

My first playthrough in 10+ years!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,425

PostBlade Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:10 pm   Post subject: My first playthrough in 10+ years! Reply with quote

My dear fellow TerraEarthians!

As you know, I am a big Terranigma fan, and I consider it the most important game of my childhood. I bought it as a kid, played it, cried for the story, and loved it immensely. Also, one of the first things I did on the internet, was to look up anything Terranigma related and join these very forums.

Now between the age of (?) 7 or 8 and 19, I must've played the game multiple times a year, knowing it in and out, with every aspect predictable.

Maybe some of you remember, that back then, I pledged to not play the game anymore until I turn 30. 11 or some years of abstinence.
No playthrough, not listening to the music, no videos on youtube, nada.
Why? To get as close as possible to a "First time playthough"-experience as possible. To get the dialogues, the story, the dungeons, the music away from me.

Of course, the game was still on my mind. At first it was hard, but as the years went on and adult life kicked in, it became easier to not think about it (or the desire to play it).

Well, in 2018, I turned 30. And last week, I started up Terranigma for the first time in a decade....!

And I gotta tell you, it's immense Smile

It was worth the wait.
Every major event in the game and the music feel nostalgic.
Some of the dialogues (especially with NPCs) feel like a new discovery.
Of course the dungeons are familiar (where do I go/what to do) but everything feels unpredictable. Like, I enter a new area, and of course I recognise it, but it still comes as a surprise.

The gameplay itself is challenging aswell, it took some time to get accustomed to the fighting style, and some dungeons are giving me a hard time (especially Creclif, Luran and Norfesta Forest).

I just beat Bloody Mary in Castle Torronia, and I'm preparing to leave for North America. I'm fully enganged into the story, I'm level 25, and afaik I'm settled for the rest of the game levelwise.

So yeah, 10 years of waiting make for a great gaming experience of an immensely beloved classic.

And off-topic, I'll finish the game in a few days, and I'm leaving for South East Asia on Saturday, to go backpacking again for a few months.

Makes me think, Ark travels and explores the world aswell, maybe
Terranigma is the root of why I got curious about travelling in the first place...!

What do you guys & girls think? Have you done something like this? Are there any games you play at least once a year? Or do you wanna meet up in Thailand? Laughing

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,176

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i haven't done anything like this since i play Terranigma about once a year as you might know Wink I completely forgot that your 10 years of abstinence were over, but i knew you were waiting to play it all along.

your story makes me a bit envious, although 10 years is a really, really long time Eek! don't think I could do do without playing it. theres just this sensation from time to time to start up my emulator and play with goosebumps for 2 hours straight till I'm exhausted from endorphines.

are you by any chance visiting Terranigma-places in south-east asia? Very Happy why the long backpacking, need a time out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: